What's new

Staines murder case: Life sentence for Dara Singh

But Supreme Court knows more than you..Doesnt it . There was a thorough investigation that took place , the full knowledge of it being passed to the SC.

Was it passed to you as well ?

What is your point? The supreme Court found him guilty & sentenced him for life. I haven't questioned its merits, its the others(hopefully not you too) who are offering up excuses for the act that the Supreme court found heinous enough to sentence the culprits for.

btw, if that is the line (outsider)that you are going to be taking, you are probably on the wrong forum to discuss anything that didn't happen within your immediate knowledge.

Hindu terrorist dara singh gets only life sentence for burning alive pstor satines and his kids.But Afzal guru getsdeath penalty.So much is the credibility of indian courts whivh decides cases blinded by the religion of the accused.No doubt Teesta stelvad dont trust indian courts and asks for foreign help.....

SC slams Teesta, says no need of foreigners in Gujarat riot cases

The Supreme Court on Thursday came down heavily on social activist Teesta Setalvad for raising the issue of post-Godhra riots of Gujarat with foreign organisations saying that it can take care of the cases and no interference is required from overseas human rights groups.
"We don't appreciate that other organisations interfere in our functioning. We can take care of (them) ourselves and cannot get guided by others. It's a direct interference in our functioning. We don't appreciate it," a special bench headed by Justice D K Jain said.

The court was anguished that the NGO, Centre for Justice and Peace (CJP), headed by Setalvad approached Geneva-based Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights raising the issue of protection of witnesses in riots cases.

"You seem to have more faith in foreign organisations than this court. It seems that witnesses would be protected by these organisations," the bench remarked adding that if such letters are written then the court would pass the order without hearing the contentions of the CJP.

"If you send such letters then we would hear the amicus curie and pass the order (without hearing you)," the court said adding, "All the cases are being monitored by us, we don't like any correspondence of her with foreign agencies."

The issue was brought before the Bench by senior advocate Harish Salve who is assisting the court as an amicus curiae in the Gujarat riot cases of 2002.

The NGO's counsel Kamini Jaiswal pleaded that no such letters would be sent to other organisations in future.

She had earlier said that the NGO had forwarded a copy of the October 7, 2010, letter addressed to Special Investigation Team chairman R K Raghavan to the international body with which the NHRC is also associated.

U are an outsider who doesn't know the background behind this incident ,so don't get uppity about it. There are lots of things that don't come in the mainstream indian English media which is obviously ur prime source.

PS: Tribals didn't know his kids were also sleeping inside the vehicle in the dark of the night while the setting it on fire .

As an insider, would you provide the insight of the incident to us, with facts and sources please, no concocted stories.

What is your point? The supreme Court found him guilty & sentenced him for life. I haven't questioned its merits, its the others(hopefully not you too) who are offering up excuses for the act that the Supreme court found heinous enough to sentence the culprits for.

Edited later so I think you did not see this;
And please dont be in a denial mode that Conversion does not cause any resentment among the local population. I have seen it personally among the people of Kanyakumari,Madurai,Tuticorin districts of Tamil Nadu where 'harvesting the souls' is in full flow and that stupid man at helm 'Karunanidhi' does not care shyt about it.

See no one is justifying the burning of that man - but understand that what he did and what the evangelists continue to do caused/is causing resentment among the people

btw, if that is the line (outsider)that you are going to be taking, you are probably on the wrong forum to discuss anything that didn't happen within your immediate knowledge.

No the point is , it is always wise to think twice before arguing about an incident that took place in a place with the native of that place.

Because for example, I know more about my district, my state than outsiders because I read not only the English press (which the outsiders do) but also the vernacular press which reports many small things that do not make it to the national media/English media and have first hand opinion on that which people from outside do not have.

More gibberish. If I am an outsider, so is the Supreme Court. As for the tribals not knowing that his kids were sleeping inside, how do you know? Were You there? One of the plotters?

Hahaha... seriously u don't know what u are talking .

SC sentenced Dara singh and he is being punished for the crime he committed.Nobody is questioning his guilt .I'm talking about the background which led to the Staines murder .

If u cannot handle the truth ,then let it be.Either way what u believe doesn't make a **** of difference to me or to the village where he was killed.

Laxmanananda had been working among the tribals of western Odisha for more than three decades .He was killed Maoists at the behest of some Christian missionaries.His death didn't make to the headlines of any big news channel.Though riots following his death was an international media event.l

What do you expect from a congress sponsored media? Congress is the most bigoted party in India. They are the ones who truely play religion/caste politics.
Cant blame them either. Hindus need to have a united political opinion like the minorities.

phoolan devi and madani are prime example of such releases.

Madani and Dara are different - only a perverted mind with no analytical capability whatsoever can equate them.

What did the people of Coimbatore do to Madani for him to explode bombs in my city and kill innocents ?? There was no single case of Muslim or minority persecution in the last 50 years in my place and it was garden of peace. But that b'terd destroyed that.

But compare that to Staines - what he did destroyed the social fabric of the place and brought the restive place to flames which we again saw in Kandhmal. Obviously there will be resentment amongst the tribals for his 'illegal' activities.

And please dont be in a denial mode that Conversion does not cause any resentment among the local population. I have seen it personally among the people of Kanyakumari,Madurai,Tuticorin districts of Tamil Nadu where 'harvesting the souls' is in full flow and that stupid man at helm 'Karunanidhi' does not care shyt about it.

Hardly in a denial mode. You seem to confuse me with some leftist looney who will defend idiotic acts like proselytisation. It may not be illegal but it is stupid & unnecessarily provocative. My own opinion on someone promising anyone heaven or suggesting that his religion is better or the only way should be booked under section 420 for cheating. Unless he/she can prove their ludicrous claims, swift punishment should follow.

Having said that, the conversion activities is not yet illegal. Murdering is.! Such acts cannot be defended no matter what one's opinion on the activities of the victim are. If the majority in TN agreed with your opinion & felt it deeply, then I suggest you vote for someone else who is interested in doing things other than to allow his family & cronies to enrich themselves. Murdering people only makes your religion look more violent & adherents of that faith portrayed as bigoted.

I have many friends in Chattisgarh who converted from Hinduism to Chritianity and mind this they were not forced conversion's,everyone did it by their own consent.

Now these r the people who do not have even money to buy food for one time, conversion's r actually for monetary benefits,they get a decent job,free education,money for their girl to get married,so in short thats a good bet

Now these people have a question for some Hindu hardliners who come beating drums everywhere the word Hindu is involved,those people who claims that every crime were a hindu is involved should be exempted,what u had done for us,giving a speech on the importance of atleast 3 children in a hindu family is easy,but providing them incentives is little tough.

[/U][/B]

Source please. I have not seen anything suggesting that the SC has decided that way because of the conversion factor.

SC decries forceful religious conversions

New Delhi: The Supreme Court, while upholding life imprisonment for Dara Singh and Mahendra Hembram, main accused in the killing of Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons in Orissa's Koenjhar district in January 1999, also came down heavily on Christian missionaries for indulging in forceful conversions.
The bench of justices P Sathasivam and BS Chauhan observed that there cannot be any justification for interference in someone's belief while decrying forceful conversions.
While delivering the verdict in the murder case on Friday the court observed that investigations reveal that Staines was involved in conversions and there are materials to suggest that the missionaries were indulging in forceful conversion in the area.

Dara Singh's lawyer SS Mishra said that the missionaries were indulging in forceful conversions and his client just wanted to threaten them and not kill Staines.

"There are materials which suggest that forceful conversion was there. However, so far as the material for conviction is concerned Supreme Court maintained the judgement of the High Court. There is no direct evidence, no one had seen crime done by accused. It appears that they had gone to threaten and teach them a lesson and not kill Staines," said Mishra.

Staines and his two sons, Philip (10) and Timothy (6) were burnt to death while they were sleeping inside a van outside a church at Manoharpur village in Koenjhar district of Orissa on January 22, 1999 by Dara Singh and Mahendra Hembram.

Both Singh and Hembram have been sentenced to life in the case.

SC decries forceful religious conversions - India News - IBNLive

No the point is , it is always wise to think twice before arguing about an incident that took place in a place with the native of that place.

Because for example, I know more about my district, my state than outsiders because I read not only the English press (which the outsiders do) but also the vernacular press which reports many small things that do not make it to the national media/English media and have first hand opinion on that which people from outside do not have.

Maybe, maybe not. What we have is one native's point of view. You would have noticed that the majority of the electorate of Orissa ended up voting out the BJP & putting in the BJD all by itself which is less sympathetic to the concern voiced on conversions. What should be made of that? That the rest of us have to accept the allowing of conversion because an elected government does not bother about it. We all have our own opinions. In any case, a panchayat & not an international forum should be the choice of someone who refuses to accept legitimacy of an argument on the basis that "an outsider" is making it.

Hardly in a denial mode. You seem to confuse me with some leftist looney who will defend idiotic acts like proselytisation. It may not be illegal but it is stupid & unnecessarily provocative. My own opinion on someone promising anyone heaven or suggesting that his religion is better or the only way should be booked under section 420 for cheating. Unless he/she can prove their ludicrous claims, swift punishment should follow.

Having said that, the conversion activities is not yet illegal. Murdering is.! Such acts cannot be defended no matter what one's opinion on the activities of the victim are. If the majority in TN agreed with your opinion & felt it deeply, then I suggest you vote for someone else who is interested in doing things other than to allow his family & cronies to enrich themselves. Murdering people only makes your religion look more violent & adherents of that faith portrayed as bigoted.

It is illegal..

Along with the virdict, SC did say somthing about it.

"All religions are equal, nothing is above one. Forceful (including convincing that one religion is better than other) is not acceptable as per Indian Constitution. All religions are equal in the eyes of Law. "

I do not have a source for this with me now, it is seen on a news channel in malayalam (manorama news) now and a discussion with a Christian priest where he was defending conversion.

Again you are getting confused - no one is defending Dara perse here, but others ought to see the bigger picture - a picture greater than the likes of Dara.

And the picture is forced conversion among the tribals that is still happening unabated in the forest tracts of Central India, almost over in North East India and trying to gain foothold in the rest of the country and the damage it causes to the local social fabric of that place. These acts are cases of pure blackmail and gross failure of Government apparatus and it is the government that needs to act pro-actively on this top prevent recurrence of such incidents.

I will just tell one favourite ruse among the 'soul harvesters' that I encountered in TN - Build PHCs in villages (Government job) and then refuse to administer treatment unless the family agrees to become Christian. The Family which has no other go grudgingly agrees to convert.It is this resent that goes unchecked by the Govt that explodes in potentially damaging cases like these.

So unless the minority vote minded Govts step up and ban these cases of illegal blackmail, I am afraid such incidents are bound to happen time and again and you will not be able to curb that by giving 'life sentences' to figure heads.

Back
Top Bottom