What's new

Staines murder case: Life sentence for Dara Singh

Infinityji, could you please reply to the links that I posted. :cheers:

I hold no bitterness towards killers: Staines widow
PTI – Sat, Jan 22 6:13 PM IST

Bhubaneswar, Jan 22 (PTI) Gladys, widow of Australian missionary Graham Staines who was burnt to death along with their two minor sons in Orissa over a decade ago, says she holds no bitterness towards the killers.

"Because of forgiveness I hold no bitterness towards the persons who killed my family," the 59 year-old woman told PTI through an e-mail.

Her remarks came a day after Dara Singh and Mahendra Hembram, convicts in the case, escaped death penalty with the Supreme Court ruling that the crime was not "rarest of rare" and upheld the life sentence awarded to them.

"Forgiveness is needed to check hatred and violence... God forgives but the earthly consequences of that sin continue...Forgiveness does not change the consequences for the wrong. Forgiveness and the consequences of our wrong-doing should not be mixed up.

"Forgiving did not mean that the normal judicial process of India should not be followed," Gladys, who was conferred the Padmashree in 2005, said.

Gladys, who is currently staying in Australia with her daughter and father, said she would continue to serve the needy as desired by Graham.

On January 22, 1999, Staines and his two minor sons -- Philip (10) and Timothy (6) -- were burnt to death by a mob at Manoharpur area in Keonjhar district.

Meanwhile, Dara Singh alias Rabindra Pal Singh, lodged in Keonjhar district jail, has claimed he is innocent.

"If it is (the life sentence) the verdict of the Supreme Court, I accept it. My conscience says I am innocent. But I will go by the court order," a jail official said quoting Dara.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/hold-no-bitterness-towards-killers-staines-widow-20110122-044300-529.html

This is my reply to you.
We are not Complaining that why Supreme Court has not considered this Crime as "Rarest Of rare"
May Be in India We dont Consider Charring a Man with 2 young Kids a Heinous Crime.

So your identity is defined by your religion?

Yes it is. How many Christians do you see respecting the Indian culture? They would first create a hybrid culture of Indian and western ideas and then become totally westernized like in Goa. You may be happy to lose what has been preserved for thousands of years but not me. I want to save it for the future generations.
Just look at South Korea to know what these missionaries can do. Those people are more western than the westerners themselves, totally ignoring their culture. That's what will happen to India.

Infinity said:
This is my reply to you.
We are not Complaining that why Supreme Court has not considered this Crime as "Rarest Of rare"
May Be in India We dont Consider Charring a Man with 2 young Kids a Heinous Crime.

This is what was given by the supreme court

“It is undisputed that there is no justification for interfering in someone’s belief by way of ‘use of force’, provocation, conversion, incitement or upon a flawed premise that one religion is better than the other,” the bench said.

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Orissa | SC upholds life term for Dara, aide CBI plea for death rejected

Again please reply to the links I've posted.

They clearly mentions Christian missionaries inflaming tensions and forcefully converting people. This is a very serious issue.

Your silence and the emotional article that followed clearly indicates that, you're ignoring the main issue at hand.

Again you're deflecting the Issue at hand here and giving me evangelical sources

*Receiving Christ into Your Life*

Please be on topic.

PS: I'm an atheist and I don't wanna receive God/Allah/Bhagwan in my life :cheers:

Last edited:
Yes it is. How many Christians do you see respecting the Indian culture? They would first create a hybrid culture of Indian and western ideas and then become totally westernized like in Goa. You may be happy to lose what has been preserved for thousands of years but not me. I want to save it for the future generations.
Just look at South Korea to know what these missionaries can do. Those people are more western than the westerners themselves, totally ignoring their culture. That's what will happen to India.

You start out talking about religion, but then divert into culture. What you are wary of is not the Christianity religion, but Western culture. Those two are different.

And whatever you saw in Goa, you see much worse in cities like Delhi and Mumbai, where the western culture has completely intertwined with Indian culture.

In school, I was taught to be proud of my Indian heritage because whenever there was an attack on Indian culture, we would adapt and make them our own.

You say you want to "preserve what has been going on for thousands for years", but please realize that Indian culture has been constantly changing throughout history. I gave the example earlier of how sati used to be acceptable only 100 years ago.

Besides, NO culture in the world can be preserved forever. Even the most dominant of societies, ie, UK, USA, China, Japan etc are constantly changing and adapting. Ask any member here from those countries about how their cultures have changed from only 100 years ago.

So please, embrace the change, because it is going to come whether you like it or not.

You start out talking about religion, but then divert into culture. What you are wary of is not the Christianity religion, but Western culture. Those two are different.

And whatever you saw in Goa, you see much worse in cities like Delhi and Mumbai, where the western culture has completely intertwined with Indian culture.

In school, I was taught to be proud of my Indian heritage because whenever there was an attack on Indian culture, we would adapt and make them our own.

You say you want to "preserve what has been going on for thousands for years", but please realize that Indian culture has been constantly changing throughout history. I gave the example earlier of how sati used to be acceptable only 100 years ago.

Besides, NO culture in the world can be preserved forever. Even the most dominant of societies, ie, UK, USA, China, Japan etc are constantly changing and adapting. Ask any member here from those countries about how their cultures have changed from only 100 years ago.

So please, embrace the change, because it is going to come whether you like it or not.

I really don't care about religion. But we have been able to preserve our culture only because of our religion. Majority of Indians won't care about their culture unless God is involved.

We should adapt to change right. But this change is not gradual . it is not evolution but a sudden drastic change . And one more thing, as we mature and develop as a society, the people won't choose Christianity but will become more irreligious like the west.

jayron said:
And one more thing, as we mature and develop as a society, the people won't choose Christianity but will become more irreligious like the west.

Spot on!

That's one of the reasons why these missionaries are targeting India (and China/Korea/Japan)its because people in the West are becoming irreligious. The missionaries need greener pastures.

They messed up Africa, but they're not gonna mess up my India !

Spot on!

That's one of the reasons why these missionaries are targeting India (and China/Korea/Japan)its because people in the West are becoming irreligious. The missionaries need greener pastures.

They messed up Africa, but they're not gonna mess up my India !

Europe is loaded with Atheists.

Not surprising about the attitudes of Chinese on evangelism

Back
Top Bottom