What's new

Sri lankan players barred from playing in chennai

anonymus

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Sri lankan players have been barred from playing any match in chennai after Jayalalitha gave an undertaking to center that no match would be allowed in Chennai if Sri lankans are part of it.

IPL 6: Sri Lankan players will not participate in Chennai matches - The Times of India

Jayalalithaa has her way, no Sri Lankan players in Chennai IPL matches | NDTV.com

The decision is not being welcomed by everyone in India and is being pilloried in editorials for being racist and chauvinistic.

Jayalalithaa scores political points with IPL ban on Lankan players | Firstpost

Even pro tamil papers

Chauvinism at its worst - The Hindu

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa did more than give her stamp of approval to calls for protests against the participation of Sri Lankan players in the Indian Premier League. By declaring that the State government will permit the matches to be held in Chennai only if the organisers provided an undertaking that no Sri Lankan players, umpires, officials or support staff would participate in these matches, she effectively endorsed chauvinism and discrimination in sport and politics. But the IPL governing council did more harm than Ms Jayalalithaa. Its decision to keep the Sri Lankan players out of the matches in Chennai after talking to the team owners will have larger, long-term repercussions for not only cricket, but also India’s international relations. Protesting against atrocities by the Sri Lankan military is one thing, preventing cricket matches involving Sri Lankan players is entirely another. For a person entrusted with the task of ensuring law and order, Ms Jayalalithaa, in her letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, appeared too eager to surrender her responsibilities. Far from extending assurances on the law and order front, she voiced her apprehension that the participation of Sri Lankan players “will aggravate an already surcharged atmosphere and further offend the sentiments of the people” of Tamil Nadu. To drop the Sri Lankan players on this ground is to blatantly discriminate on the basis of nationality and ethnic identity.

If the IPL is to be open to foreign players, it must be open to all foreign players. For a government to decide who should or should not be in the playing XI, and withhold permission to host the matches on this count, is plain wrong. The IPL organisers evidently took the easy way out. Taking the matches out of Chennai would have involved greater costs than keeping the Sri Lankan players out of the city. Not too long ago, when India’s relations with Pakistan were at an all-time low, the cricketing authorities worked behind the scenes and prevailed upon team owners not to bid for any Pakistani player. But now, the IPL governing council does not have even this fig-leaf. The arm-twisting is in the open. It is not just cricketing logic that is at stake here. That dropping some players and selecting some others will distort the game is the least of the problems. True, teams had bid for and taken players at huge costs, and those who put their money on Sri Lankan stars are at a huge disadvantage. But worse, sport, which brings peoples together, has now been turned into a vehicle of jingoism and ethnic affinities. The effects of such divisive politics will surely be felt beyond the realms of cricket, and for far longer than will be obvious immediately.

What are your opinion @Gibbs @Skyline @Kazhugu or any other member having a say in this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Immaturity of local politicians of Indian state.
Haven't they imposed any ban on Tamils from Tamilnadu visiting Sri Lanka?
They can ban all products and services from Sri Lanka and also they can withdraw business deals with Sri Lanka too. lol

btw Indians, if India is one country how a local politician ban citizens from one country? If they have such powers within India soon we can expect ban for Kerala citizens, etc. Good luck Indians! ;)

Stupid move.. Politics and Sports should not be mixed..

Good part is BCCI has trolled them and Sri Lankan Players will still play in IPL .

Indians are the only weak specimen of a human being that involves politics into sports.

Honestly the Indians have no class.
@Sri Lankans, we can understand Indian immaturity. These idiots take sports to a political level.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I am a Tamil. But I'm a Sri Lankan first. And the ban means, I'm not wanted there either. I can assure you that there has been immense peace all around Sri Lanka since the war ended and the Tamils are living very happily here. They are treated equally well,"

And for those who does not know this the current Test and ODI captain of Sri Lanka Angelo Mathews is a Tamil himself..

The city of Chennai, in many ways, has been a second home for Muttiah Muralitharan. Besides being a Tamil, the former Sri Lankan off-spinner is married to an Indian who belongs to the city. Moreover, Muralitharan represented the Chennai Super Kings during the first three seasons of the Indian Premier League (IPL).

But with the Tamil Nadu government having declared the state capital a 'no-Sri-Lankan-zone', Muralitharan will in all likelihood be forced to give Chennai a miss during the sixth edition of IPL starting next month.

And the 40-year-old Sri Lankan spin legend expressed his disappointment at the unsavoury developments.

"It's sad that the Tamil Nadu government doesn't want us there. It's always unfortunate when people in power start mixing politics with sports. So if they don't want me in Chennai then I won't go. I can't do anything else about it," Muralitharan told The Indian Express on Tuesday.

Muralitharan, who now represents Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), however, confirmed his participation in IPL-6 and said that he will be very much a part of RCB's campaign.

"The IPL is a great tournament. And I love being a part of it. I now play for Bangalore and I'm sure our fans there will be looking forward to seeing us in action. So what if Chennai doesn't want us. It's not the end of the world. I'll still be a part of the team in all other cities and enjoy their support," he added.

In the aftermath of the TN government's move, many former Sri Lankan cricketers such as Arjuna Ranatunga have asked the 13 Sri Lankan players, including Muralitharan, to boycott IPL-6 as a whole. But Muralitharan urged his compatriots to take a more pragmatic stand.

"It's disappointing for sure but we are entertainers after all and should not get involved with the politics. Our job is to go out there and perform. The worst case is that we will be left out of the team for that one match. Eventually the decision will be left to the individual but I'm sure the IPL as a whole will not be affected by this," said Muralitharan.

Muralitharan added that the ban also affected him at a personal level considering the deep-rooted links he shares with Chennai. And also because he is a Tamil.

"I am a Tamil. But I'm a Sri Lankan first. And the ban means, I'm not wanted there either. I can assure you that there has been immense peace all around Sri Lanka since the war ended and the Tamils are living very happily here. They are treated equally well," he explained. (Source: Indian Express)

Murali is more than welcome.People will spread out a red carpet for him but i dont think he would come to chennai as it would send wrong signals to his fellow country men who are barred from entering the city.As a Srilankan who played alongside sinhalas who held him in the highest regard he too should avoid playing in chennai as an act of solidarity.

The decision is not being welcomed by everyone in India and is being pilloried in editorials for being racist and chauvinistic.

How is this different from Pakistani players not allowed to play in IPL ? But hey Pakistan is bad boy, while Lanka is good boy. No it does not happen that way.

The Hindu is not pro-Tamil

Stupid move.. Politics and Sports should not be mixed..

Politics and sports have always been mixed.

Even in India. So this is not the first time.

I understand Murali's condition. He has to survive in a nation where people are known to become sinhala buddhists to enhance their career prospects ( Tillekaratne Dilshan converting from Islam to buddhism to enhance his choice of getting into the national team).

angelo mathews cant be considered a tamil for 2 reasons.1.his mother is a sinhalese.2.he cant utter a single word in tamil.
tamils treat well a non tamil who can speak tamil better than a half tamil who cant speak a single tamil word.angelo grew up speaking sinhalese in colombo.he cant be a tamil by any stretch.

How is this different from Pakistani players not allowed to play in IPL ?

That is the GoI decision based on the premise that the country they come from was directly or indirectly involved in terrorism against Indian citizens. Nothing like the Sri Lankan case where the only argument is that emotions of some Indian citizens is affected. The fact that no other state in India has a problem with the Sri Lankans is what makes this different.

angelo mathews cant be considered a tamil for 2 reasons.1.his mother is a sinhalese.2.he cant utter a single word in tamil.
tamils treat well a non tamil who can speak tamil better than a half tamil who cant speak a single tamil word.angelo grew up speaking sinhalese in colombo.he cant be a tamil by any stretch.

What kind of utter racist moronic BS is that ?? So a person born to a mixed marriage and that his paternal lineage is Tamil cannot be considered a Tamil?? You just exposed yourself and your ilk.. SL Tamil community is well integrated and intercommunal marriage is not uncommon unlike your TN mobs.. Pointing fingers at others when even fellow Tamil Brahmins are a threatened species in TN

Back
Top Bottom