What's new

Sri Lankan Muslims under threat

FarazUSA

Reaction score
Sri Lankan Muslims under threat | Opinion | DAWN.COM

A CURIOUS story in a local English daily caught my eye the other day. It seemed the Sri Lanka Muslim Council had given in to demands that meat could be sold without halal certification. This is a huge success for radical Buddhist groups who have been orchestrating an anti-Muslim campaign for the last few years.

Mosques have been attacked, prayers disrupted, and Muslims in general accused of being anti-state. The Muslim Tamil National Alliance has written to the Secretary General of the United Nations, asking him for protection, and protesting against this nasty campaign.

Leading the anti-Muslim charge is a group called the Bodu Bela Sena, or Buddhist Force. Headed by ultra-nationalistic monks, the group follows a xenophobic agenda of “Sri Lanka for the Buddhists”. Of late, Buddhist monks have begun playing a growing and retrogressive role in the island’s politics.

The monks first flexed their muscles to shore up the Rajapakse government’s resolve to crush the Tamil insurgency. First, they blocked any possibility of compromise by offering the Tamil Tigers greater autonomy. To build up pressure, they formed a political party and won enough seats to take a place in the coalition government.

Then, when President Mahinda Rajapakse’s brother, defence secretary Gotabaya, was facing difficulties in finding enough recruits for the army, a group of monks fanned out across the Buddhist areas to motivate thousands of young men. These recruits were assured that they would not lose karma by fighting and killing in a war as they would be doing so in the cause of Buddhism.

The brutal civil war ended nearly four years ago in a bloodbath that is now the subject of intense scrutiny and criticism from abroad. The ongoing session of the UN Human Rights Commission at Geneva is about to vote on a resolution initiated by the US, demanding an international investigation into the fate of tens of thousands of Tamils said to be killed in the last days of the fighting in the north of the island.

Against this backdrop, it is odd that the government is doing so little to clamp down on the anti-Muslim campaign. Should it gain support and traction, the results could be very bad news. Muslims are mostly concentrated in three areas: in and around Galle and Colombo, and in the coastal areas of the north-east. The latter are mostly poor fishermen, while urban Muslims are heavily represented in business and the professions.

According to unofficial reports, the 2011 census indicates that Muslims form around 10 per cent of the total population of 21.4 million. This is a substantial increase from the 7.6 pc in the last census. One reason the new census figures have not been officially released is said to be the disquiet the increase in the number of Muslims might cause among the majority.

Already, Muslims in the north have been subjected to ethnic cleansing by the Tamil Tigers in the early nineties. Thousands were driven southward from their homes and farms in the mostly Tamil north. After the war ended, and they tried to reclaim their property, they were subjected to great hostility by Sinhalese farmers who had grabbed much of the land. Most of the displaced Muslims have settled around Colombo, and their children consider the capital their home.

One factor that is probably driving the anti-Muslim campaign is envy. Urban Muslims have fared relatively well over the years, and have cornered the lucrative gemstone market. Others have gone into real estate and construction. Many have made a name for themselves in the legal profession. And while a few have gone into politics, they recognise that they can never hope to rise to the top. By and large, they have kept a low profile.

A number of Muslim families in Galle and Matra pride themselves on their descent from Arab traders who settled in Sri Lanka centuries ago. Others have come from the Indian coast. There is a small and wealthy Bohra community in Colombo. Many northern Muslims descended from Malays who settled along the coast.

Thus, Sri Lankan Muslims represent an ethnic mix who have helped in creating prosperity and diversity. So far, at least, they have got along well with their neighbours. However, despite centuries of living together, integration has been slow. Like most minorities, Muslims tend to stick together, maintaining their dress code and diet. Women usually wear some form of hijab, and many Muslim men wear beards and skull caps.

Even liberal Sinhalese accuse Muslims of not keeping their streets clean, and generally staying aloof from the mainstream.

Inter-marriage between Muslims and Sinhalese are limited to the elites. But everybody acknowledges their hard work and sound business ethics.

The civil war and the way it ended has exploded the myth of the peaceful Buddhists. There is thus a genuine concern over the ongoing anti-Muslim campaign: observers recognise the potential for a vicious pogrom should the government not step in.

However, the ugly reality is that the Buddhist majority are a far larger vote bank than the Muslims.

Many are puzzled by how and why anti-Muslim feelings have spread so quickly. After all, after the end of the civil war in 2009, it had been widely assumed that the restoration of peace would heal the ethnic wounds opened during decades of conflict. Sadly, the government has made little effort to reach out to a defeated and demoralised Tamil community.

One theory is that the triumphant Sinhalese fringe elements on the extreme right need a fresh target for their xenophobia. Some in the business community are eyeing the assets of their successful Muslim competitors. Politicians are seeking to tap into the strong sense of Buddhist identity that was pumped up during the last stages of the war. The recent execution of a young Sri Lankan maid in Saudi Arabia on flimsy charges provided more ammunition to the extremists.

None of this is good news for the peaceful and prosperous Muslim community in Sri Lanka. Hopefully, the government will check the vicious propaganda doing the rounds and prevent an explosion.

Yes there have been a worrying trend of certain extremist Buddhist groups getting prominence in the press these days.. But the overwhelming population have considered them more of a nuisance that anything else.. There is a suspicion that a certain arm of the regime is behind the hysteria to divert the masses from increasing cost of living and it's blatant corruption, nepotism and breakdown of law and order

Having said that the above article seems to be a opinion of an individual than a real journalistic piece

Just to make things clear i'm not a Buddhist

Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka\'s Buddhist extremists vow to remove Muslim mosque in Kuragala

Sri Lanka's Buddhist extremists vow to remove Muslim mosque in Kuragala
Mon, Mar 18, 2013, 11:05 am SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Mar 18, Colombo: Having announced that they have concluded the fight against the Halal victoriously, the Sri Lanka Sinhala Buddhist extremist organization Bodu Bala Sena Sunday announced that they will not talk about Halal issue.

Instead they would now take up the issue of removing a mosque from Kuragala Buddhist monastery complex in the central hills.

Addressing a mass rally held in Kandy city in the Central Province Sunday, the national organizer of Bodu Bala Sena Ven. Galagodaaththe Gnanasara Thera said that the organization would not speak of Halal again since they had won the Halal issue. He insisted the relevant firms to remove the Halal certificate before the Sinhala New Year that falls in mid-April.

The Buddhist monk vowed that the Bodu Bala Sena would now take up the issue of removing a mosque that has allegedly taken over the Buddhist monastery in Kuragala.

Kuragala rock cave is believed to be a Buddhist monastery dating back to 2nd century BC, The Buddhist organization says that in recent times the Muslim fundamentalists have taken over the site and destroyed the evidence of Buddhist heritage.

The shrine has inscriptions dated back to 10th century and Muslims believe the visiting Muslim traders in the past used this place as a resting place and shrine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colombo (Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - Sri Lanka's Muslims have expressed over a mass rally that will be held by the Buddhist extremist organization Bodu Bala Sena in Kandy on Sunday (March 17).

The rally has raised concerns in Muslim as the organizers have reportedly expressed the notion that the rally will be against Muslims wearing Hijab.

Reportedly the Bodu Bala Sena organization is also preparing to make an important revelation on the issue of Halal Certification at the Kandy rally today.

Bodu Bala Sena has also protested the compromise reached between Muslim and Buddhist religious leaders to suspend the display of Halal label in the packages. The extremists demand the abolition of the whole Halal process which is considered by Muslims as a part of their religion.

According to the 2012 Census Kandy district has 191,199 Sri Lankan Muslims amounting to 14% of the district's population. Around 20,000 Moors and Malays also reside within the municipal limits of Kandy.

http://abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=400668

@Gibbs : If 'Halal Meat' seems to be the issue; is it possible for there to be a regulation at the local government level that the meat sold in Muslim majority areas is required to marked 'Halal' or not ! Or if not that then certain Butchers be given the license to only sell Halal Meat in Muslim Majority areas & that they'd be Certified/Audited periodically to determine their compliance; the costs for this, would of course, be born by the Residents of the Muslim Majority Areas (subject to exception for the Non Muslims therein) as part of Council Tax or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gibbs : If 'Halal Meat' seems to be the issue; is it possible for there to be a regulation at the local government level that the meat sold in Muslim majority areas is required to marked 'Halal' or not ! Or if not that then certain Butchers be given the license to only sell Halal Meat in Muslim Majority areas & that they'd be Certified/Audited periodically to determine their compliance; the costs for this, would of course, be born by the Residents of the Muslim Majority Areas (subject to exception for the Non Muslims therein) as part of Council Tax or something.

I think the issue was from my understanding is that a council of Islamic theologians(Ullema) started issuing the Halal certificates at a fee to commercial establishments.. This led to some of these militant extremists to gather ground on the issue.. I think after consultations with the stakeholders the issuing rights have been transferred to the Govt authority that deal with Islamic relations I think.. Actually there are no specific Islamic/Muslim areas in the island cept maybe couple of towns in the east.. Muslims here have always lived amicably among the rest of the community

Anyway these movements have no influence on the mainstream.. Although I see those obvious few have already found a new love for Lankan Muslims with this thread.. Silly Madrasis will try at anything to score cheap brownie points..:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the issue was from my understanding is that a council of Islamic theologians(Ullema) started issuing the Halal certificates at a fee to commercial establishments.. This led to some of these militant extremists to gather ground on the issue.. I think after consultations with the stakeholders the issuing rights have been transferred to the Govt authority that deal with Islamic relations I think.. Actually there are no specific Islamic/Muslim areas in the island cept maybe couple of towns in the east.. Muslims here have always lived amicably among the rest of the community

Anyway these movements have no influence on the mainstream.. Although I see those obvious few have already found a new love for Lankan Muslims with this thread.. Silly Madrasis will try at anything to score cheap brownie points..:lol:

Ahhh I'm glad to hear that; I once met a Srilankan Muslim who was here in Lahore (my city) to study Electrical Engineering; I think he said he was of Moorish descent or something, but I always thought that Moors were North African Arabs.

Plus Halal has been on the island as long has Muslims have been ..Thousands of years.. Nobody had an issue with it till this Certification fee came about and in turn radical monks made a hue and cry over it at the behest of some elements in the Rajapaksa regime.. But he issue has been sorted now amicably and not a single Muslim brother have been allowed to been physically harassed or threatened in it's wake

These sorts of issues misunderstandings happen in plural multi cultural, multi ethnic societies.. Best sorted out through discussion

:lol::lol:

Why would"Madrassi's" be worried about what the F happens in Shi Lanka, but those links are from Persian and Arabic sources - plenty more from presses of Islamic countries. The Ummah must be worried - better watch out - lest you may have so called fighters of Islam descending on Sh! Lanka soon.

Ahhh I'm glad to hear that; I once met a Srilankan Muslim who was here in Lahore (my city) to study Electrical Engineering; I think he said he was of Moorish descent or something, but I always thought that Moors were North African Arabs.

They originally are..Settled down thousands of years ago.. Some intermarried local women and later arrivals from the corramandel coasts in TN and Malayalee muslims also assimilated but you still get proper Moorish communities specially in Galle, Colombo, Kandy and Beruwala(Beyroo)

http://www.srilankaheritages.com/islam.html

What a B/S? Most Lankans are vegetarians. And those that do eat meat need somebody else, like a Muslim, to do the slaughtering. Buddhists cannot take life. And Muslims must slaughter in the hala'al way. Same in Bhutan where we have a lot of BD citizens just for slaughtering.

What a B/S? Most Lankans are vegetarians. And those that do eat meat need somebody else, like a Muslim, to do the slaughtering. Buddhists cannot take life. And Muslims must slaughter in the hala'al way. Same in Bhutan where we have a lot of BD citizens just for slaughtering.

That's a huge misconception.. Most Lankans are Buddhists and most actually consume meat.. but they do try to avoid Beef..There are no edicts in Buddhism to prohibit eating meat or fish.. But you're right most slaughter houses are run by Muslims Bar pig sties not because Buddhists don't eat meat but because the convenience for Halal

why would LTTE target muslims since as per my knowledge Majority of Sri Lankan Muslims are Tamils

why would LTTE target muslims since as per my knowledge Majority of Sri Lankan Muslims are Tamils

Back
Top Bottom