What's new

Sri Lanka, Tamil genocide / civil war resumes after 5 years

My dear friend are you aware about 'Sinhala only act of 1956' ? Which made sinhala the official language from english ?
Well that meant all govt jobs would required Sinhala language as official writing and tamils had to resign as they weren't fluent with Sinhala.

Well yes. Sinhala replaced English as the official language of Sri Lanka. Was it wrong? Before 1956 English was the official language did Tamils cry foul over it? Did Tamils were fluent in English? The answer my friend is no.

And moreover Sinhala only act did not negate the fact that there were Tamil speaking community in Sri Lanka. The Sinhala only act necessitate the use of Tamil in areas where Tamil speakers were the majority.

Majority of top posts in civil service were held by Tamils and this was seen as a ploy to kick em out. The divide was created in the early 1950's when reservation is school and colleges were given to Sinhalese and Tamils were ignored.

Tamils should understand who are the majority in Sri Lanka. The fact is strongly highlighted when in 1948 Tamil political leaders asked for 50% political representation for 30% of Tamil speaking community.

Is it any democratic to allow unproportionate representation?

Yes there are, it is a tribe in odisa and bengal though few in number. Sinhalese like the Tamils are migrants from india, both migrated long time ago. Sinhalese migrated during the era of Ashoka charge to southern India. Following are some links, where even the Sri Lankan diplomat says they are of Indian origin. Not blotting about this fact, it is just that they are two tribes who need to grow up now and learn to co-exist.

You have not answered my question. If Sinhalese were came from India like Tamils would we be called Bengalis or Odishas right? Like we call Tamils, Tamils.

Why the name plate changed for Sinhalese?

And i am sorry i cannot post links, but would Personal Message you if you would like, or you could just google origin of Sinhalese and you can see their origin and how they migrated to Sri Lanka

Would you call Americans, British?

Well yes. Sinhala replaced English as the official language of Sri Lanka. Was it wrong? Before 1956 English was the official language did Tamils cry foul over it? Did Tamils were fluent in English? The answer my friend is no.

And moreover Sinhala only act did not negate the fact that there were Tamil speaking community in Sri Lanka. The Sinhala only act necessitate the use of Tamil in areas where Tamil speakers were the majority.

Well sir, in this case the doors were closed for tamils and they had to loose job . The policy infact Sinhalese only, tamils get out if you actually would be bothered to read the historic document.

Tamils where fluent in English obviously m8, why do u think they were holding the post otherwise ?

Whatever might be the reason, you asked why the differentiation happened i pointed out, now if u want to ask me why they did it the simple answer is tamils and Sinhalese didnt get along.

Tamils should understand who are the majority in Sri Lanka. The fact is strongly highlighted when in 1948 Tamil political leaders asked for 50% political representation for 30% of Tamil speaking community.

Welcome to the world of democracy m8. Did they get any political representation ? They wanted to uplift their underprivileged population and majority were Sinhalese, and exactly that happened, Tamils remained under-privileged. Its not that hard to understand is it ?

You have not answered my question. If Sinhalese were came from India like Tamils would we be called Bengalis or Odishas right? Like we call Tamils, Tamils.

Why the name plate changed for Sinhalese?
They were called Sinhalese only! did u even bother to do abit of research about your migration ? Or you want to remain ignorant, let me reach 29 posts i will post all links about the migration and how they were forced to leave the mainland due to ashokan army.

Would you call Americans, British?[/quote]

Hold on M8 if u think i have a soft corner for tamils and i won't to show that Sinhalese left india hence they are part Indians u are wrong. I don't care why they migrated, its just that you don't know your history, Sri-lanka was never the birth place of Sinhalese tribe ! So when you say tamilians are migrants so are Sinhalese

*want to show that Sinhalese

My dear friend are you aware about 'Sinhala only act of 1956' ? Which made sinhala the official language from english ?
Well that meant all govt jobs would required Sinhala language as official writing and tamils had to resign as they weren't fluent with Sinhala.
Majority of top posts in civil service were held by Tamils and this was seen as a ploy to kick em out. The divide was created in the early 1950's when reservation is school and colleges were given to Sinhalese and Tamils were ignored.

What's the problem with making majority language as the state language replacing English which is foreign to all ethnic groups? Besides at that era only 10% of the population was fluent in English and majority of them were Tamils. This trick was done by British to keep power in country. They gave too much power to a minority and made that minority depend on British empire to keep the power so they did not have to worry about rebellions. There are so called Tamil heroes who campaigned against Sinhalese having "right to vote". After the independence, the order was restored and thus marked the end of blue sky holiday for Tamils so Tamils now should learn to give up the "holiday attitude" and face the reality.

Unlike Singapore or any other relatively newly founded countries, Sinhalese civilization ages back up to 2500 years so it is impossible to give up the dominance held by the majority in the island. Why should Sinhalese share power with Tamils who are a minority that makes up 10% of the population equally?

Well sir, in this case the doors were closed for tamils and they had to loose job . The policy infact Sinhalese only, tamils get out if you actually would be bothered to read the historic document.

Tamils where fluent in English obviously m8, why do u think they were holding the post otherwise ?

Whatever might be the reason, you asked why the differentiation happened i pointed out, now if u want to ask me why they did it the simple answer is tamils and Sinhalese didnt get along.

Welcome to the world of democracy m8. Did they get any political representation ? They wanted to uplift their underprivileged population and majority were Sinhalese, and exactly that happened, Tamils remained under-privileged. Its not that hard to understand is it ?

They were called Sinhalese only! did u even bother to do abit of research about your migration ? Or you want to remain ignorant, let me reach 29 posts i will post all links about the migration and how they were forced to leave the mainland due to ashokan army.

Hold on M8 if u think i have a soft corner for tamils and i won't to show that Sinhalese left india hence they are part Indians u are wrong. I don't care why they migrated, its just that you don't know your history, Sri-lanka was never the birth place of Sinhalese tribe ! So when you say tamilians are migrants so are Sinhalese

You are wrong regarding the migration of Sinhalese. Vast majority of Sinhalese are native to the island. Sinhalese are called "people of Sri Lanka" who have origins of multiple ethnic groups that settled in the island including ones from India.

Sinhalese is not a tribe but a separate ethnic group who has a civilization of 2500 years. I regard calling it a "tribe" as an insult. Please refrain from doing so.

Last edited:
What's the problem with making majority language as the state language replacing English which is foreign to all ethnic groups? Besides at that era only 10% of the population was fluent in English and majority of them were Tamils. This trick was done by British to keep power in country. They gave too much power to a minority and made that minority depend on British empire to keep the power so they did not have to worry about rebellions. There are so called Tamil heroes who campaigned against Sinhalese having "right to vote". After the independence, the order was restored and thus marked the end of blue sky holiday for Tamils so Tamils now should learn to give up the "holiday attitude" and face the reality.

Unlike Singapore or any other relatively newly founded countries, Sinhalese civilization ages back up to 2500 years so it is impossible to give up the dominance held by the majority in the island. Why should Sinhalese share power with Tamils who are a minority that makes up 10% of the population equally?.

Agreed the majority population have the right, but then for good sake stop cribbing that equal rights were given to the tamils, they couldn't get govt jobs, their children couldnt get admission in school, government of Sri Lanka never helped they get above the poverty line. As i said, your country your rules.Tamils were treated as third class citizens in their own country by the administration.

You are wrong regarding the migration of Sinhalese. Vast majority of Sinhalese are native to the island. Sinhalese are called "people of Sri Lanka" who have origins of multiple ethnic groups that settled in the island including ones from India.

Sir there are nothing called as native Sinhalese ! It is a mixture of bengalis and tamils. For god sake atleast get your origin right :disagree:

Agreed the majority population have the right, but then for good sake stop cribbing that equal rights were given to the tamils, they couldn't get govt jobs, their children couldnt get admission in school, government of Sri Lanka never helped they get above the poverty line. As i said, your country your rules.Tamils were treated as third class citizens in their own country by the administration.

Sir there are nothing called as native Sinhalese ! It is a mixture of bengalis and tamils. For god sake atleast get your origin right :disagree:
What made you think Sinhalese are a mixture of Bengalis and Tamils? In contrary to what you or our history books say Sinhalese are a mixture of variety of races in whichimmigrant Bengalis and native Sri Lankans who submitted to their culture (Waddas) make the majority.

What made you think Sinhalese are a mixture of Bengalis and Tamils? In contrary to what you or our history books say Sinhalese are a mixture of variety of races in whichimmigrant Bengalis and native Sri Lankans who submitted to their culture (Waddas) make the majority.

Gentics studies sir! 72% Bengali's, 16% tamils and 12% Gujrati's. Proven and recorded and accept by sri-lankan researchers.
HLA analysis of Sri Lankan Sinhalese predicts North Indian origin
  1. G. N. Malavige1,3,
  2. T. Rostron1,
  3. S. L. Seneviratne2,
  4. S. Fernando3,
  5. S. Sivayogan4,
  6. A. Wijewickrama5 and
  7. G. S. Ogg1,6
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2007

DOI: 10.1111/j.1744-313X.2007.00698.x

Gentics studies sir! 72% Bengali's, 16% tamils and 12% Gujrati's. Proven and recorded and accept by sri-lankan researchers.
HLA analysis of Sri Lankan Sinhalese predicts North Indian origin
  1. G. N. Malavige1,3,
  2. T. Rostron1,
  3. S. L. Seneviratne2,
  4. S. Fernando3,
  5. S. Sivayogan4,
  6. A. Wijewickrama5 and
  7. G. S. Ogg1,6
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2007

DOI: 10.1111/j.1744-313X.2007.00698.x

Is there genetic called Bengali, Tamils, Gujrats etc?

Is there genetic called Bengali, Tamils, Gujrats etc?
It is hard to believe that Vijaya had come from Bengal. I believe Vijaya had come from Gujrat near to the Gir Sanctuary.

Indeed when Tamils got obsolete in the fields they worked due to a language barrier they have to step aside and face the reality. It may have effected them but it is nothing for cry out they were discriminated. If they had problems they should have talked with the government. In fact the Sinhala only act necessitate the use of Tamil in Tamil majority areas. Therefore the Tamil official should have found ample jobs in those areas.

Well it counted for nothing when the people they should serve did not fluent in English. They should either became fluent in Sinhalese or Tamil to serve their subjects. Sri Lanka ceased to become part of England from 1948.

Why not Tamils got their share in political representation very well. In fact Tamil United Liberation Front (TULF) became the opposition party in Sri Lanka in 1977. Isn't that a testimony to the Tamil political representation in Sri Lanka.

Underprivileged? There are more underprivileged Sinhalese in Sri Lanka than there are Tamils. People in Sri Lanka do not become underprivileged because of their race or ethnicity. They become underprivileged because of the bad policies of past and present governments.

Interesting I look forward to that.

Oh you suggest Sinhalese race in India suddenly decided to leave India and hopped on to boats and came to Sri Lanka.

Is it logical? Entire race suddenly uprooting themselves from there native land to go to a some alien place.

Mate your own logic eats you out. Accept it Sinhalese are part Indians. Not entirely Indians.

Can anyone explain how Tamils are doing in Sri Lanka economically? Because compared to Sri Lanka, India is shit hole and poor. Only 2-3 states are worth anything in India, Maharashtra, Karela and all these states are way behind Sri Lanka economically.

Ok this is hilarious lol

Tamils in SL can be of several categories. We have indian origin tamils who were brought from india by british as labour. These people mainly worked and continue to work in tea estates. However many of these indian origin tamils now get educated and work in various other jobs.

There is another group of Indian origin tamils who migrated to SL during british times as traders and settled here. They are merchants and a well off group. SL cricketer muralitharan come from such a family.

Both the above groups did not participate in the war but showed allegance to SL as other sri lankans.

The tamils in north didnt migrate from india in recent history.( some of the northern tamils were brought by Ducth as labour for tobbaco plantations.) the war was in North and east (which has a tamil presence).

Colombo has a large tamil population. Close to 30% of people in Colombo are tamils who are a well off people engaged in businesses, professions and have access to education like anyother citizen. These are mainly internal migrants from war torn areas and also some who lived in Colombo for generations.

how, have you mastered the art of trans-body migration ???

why no rebuttal on the jungle execution of 3 'terrorists' which I claim as staged ?

what rebuttal to an anonymous poster on an internet forum. The bodies were recognised by their relatives. Are you saying killing prabha is also fake. It is the racist idiots like you who want to keep flames in SL burning to make life difficult for normal tamils and sinhalese

how, have you mastered the art of trans-body migration ???

why no rebuttal on the jungle execution of 3 'terrorists' which I claim as staged ?

what rebuttal to an anonymous poster on an internet forum. The bodies were recognised by their relatives. Are you saying killing prabha is also fake. It is the racist idiots like you who want to keep

Yes there are, it is a tribe in odisa and bengal though few in number. Sinhalese like the Tamils are migrants from india, both migrated long time ago. Sinhalese migrated during the era of Ashoka charge to southern India. Following are some links, where even the Sri Lankan diplomat says they are of Indian origin. Not blotting about this fact, it is just that they are two tribes who need to grow up now and learn to co-exist.

And i am sorry i cannot post links, but would Personal Message you if you would like, or you could just google origin of Sinhalese and you can see their origin and how they migrated to Sri Lanka

I dont say 1956 policy was a correct move it is a disastrous one. But making sinhala the official language isnt wrong, it should be. What went wrong was not making tamil an official language. But that has been corrected and do you know that tamil is also an official language on par with Sinhala?

And what reservation are you talking about in 50s? there was no such reservation.

The ones who made sinhala nation came from india, there is no doubt but everything in Sinhala nation developed in SL. And no there are no sinhala people in india. If you want more infor about orign of sinhala people, i cant talk.

The roots in SL conflict arent really about equalitu or minority rights. There is a big historical perspective.

*want to show that Sinhalese[/quote]

Tamils did not lose jobs for not knowing sinhala langauage, but getting promotions became difficult. if you want to talk about issues in SL get educated on them. Not only the tamils, even english educated sinhalese and burghers faced tough times with that stupid policy. But that has changed like 100% now. Everything is in English now. The discriminations done due to language policy have been corrected long back. That is why there are tamils living in SL in up country or in colombo perfectly well. Just come out of your prism and take a walk in Colombo and see how tamils live a great life here.

The tamils whom we talked about nothern tamils were never an under privileged set (apart from low caste). One of the best educational institutes are in north and do you know that for 30 years SL govern funded tamil language educational institutes and schools in north and east? Even the schools in LTTE administered areas were funded by gov.

Tamils of north were never a downtrodden or an under privilege set.

And sinhalese didnt come from india during ashokan period. Evolution of sinhala letter and lanuague our customs are well documented all over SL. Unlike India which doesnt have a majority SL is a majority sinhala country. It was in the villages of remote SL that sinhala society flourished. name a single sinhala literature from india or even an author. We all came from africa, just like your ancestors came from africa mine too did. They just had a temporary stop at india and formed a new nation in SL.

Tamils have had a fairly well representation in parliament since SL became an independant country.

*want to show that Sinhalese[/quote]

where have you picked all these garbage? Though making sinhala the ONLY official lanuague replacing english was uncalled for the tamils never faced such situation. Tamils could get jobs and they had very good tamil language schools run by government. it is the fools like you who buy anything are targetted by propagandists. Just check Hindu college Jaffna, Bambalapitiya, and other tamil mediaum schools all over the island run by government. And tamils were a very well off group.

Check the SLn immigrant in US Rajaratnam who was sentenced to prison in USA for insider trading. He was the son of a wealthy tamil in SL who was the CEO in a company in SL in 80s. You wont get such positions in 80s if you are not from a well to do family. Tamils continued to have good education in state schools and state universities free of charge. Research on Sl issues before repeating stuff you heard from LTTE propagandists

Native sinhalese are the ones who created sinhala nation and every sinhalese is a native sinhalese. True sinhalese got input from many ethnicities in asia and even from Europe. considering genetics SL tamils are the same as sinhalese. SL tamil look very different from a TN tamil but you cant differentiate one from a sinhalese.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom