Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes

Roybot

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
_75544335_mayday129.jpg

Clashes broke out as Buddhists marched into Muslim populated area. The Sri Lankan authorities have imposed a curfew on two southern towns to quell clashes between a hardline Buddhist group and Muslims. The latest violence began after a Buddhist rally in Aluthgama. Several people are reported to have been injured, shops burned and stones thrown at Buddhist marchers there.

The curfew was later extended to include mainly Muslim Beruwala. Muslims make up around 10% of Sri Lanka's predominantly Buddhist population. Eyewitness accounts tell of Muslims being pulled off local buses and beaten. There are also reports of looting.

_75544439_mayday124.jpg

The rally by the Buddhist BBS took place in Aluthgama. The clashes are said to have begun after the rally held by the BBS, the Bodu Bala Sena, or Buddhist Brigade. The gathering came three days after a smaller clash between Muslim youths and a Buddhist monk's driver.

'Act in restraint'

After its rally, the BBS marched into Muslim areas chanting anti-Muslim slogans, reports say, and the police used tear gas to quell the violence. Unconfirmed reports say security forces also used gunfire. Witnesses say Muslim homes and a mosque were stoned. The situation is confusing and there is an air of danger as violence has spread to several areas, a BBC reporter in Aluthgama says.

_75544438_mayday121.jpg

Some pro-Buddhist organisations oppose what they see as undue minority influence on government. Sri Lankan media appear to have decided not to report the violence, with sources saying outlets have received "orders from above".

President Mahinda Rajapaksa has announced an investigation.

"The government will not allow anyone to take the law into their own hands. I urge all parties concerned to act in restraint," he tweeted. Correspondents say tension has recently been high between the two sides, with Muslims calling on the government to protect them from Buddhist-inspired hate attacks, and Buddhist accusing minorities of enjoying too much influence.

BBC News - Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes

_75544335_mayday129.jpg

Clashes broke out as Buddhists marched into Muslim populated area. The Sri Lankan authorities have imposed a curfew on two southern towns to quell clashes between a hardline Buddhist group and Muslims. The latest violence began after a Buddhist rally in Aluthgama. Several people are reported to have been injured, shops burned and stones thrown at Buddhist marchers there.

The curfew was later extended to include mainly Muslim Beruwala. Muslims make up around 10% of Sri Lanka's predominantly Buddhist population. Eyewitness accounts tell of Muslims being pulled off local buses and beaten. There are also reports of looting.

_75544439_mayday124.jpg

The rally by the Buddhist BBS took place in Aluthgama. The clashes are said to have begun after the rally held by the BBS, the Bodu Bala Sena, or Buddhist Brigade. The gathering came three days after a smaller clash between Muslim youths and a Buddhist monk's driver.

'Act in restraint'

After its rally, the BBS marched into Muslim areas chanting anti-Muslim slogans, reports say, and the police used tear gas to quell the violence. Unconfirmed reports say security forces also used gunfire. Witnesses say Muslim homes and a mosque were stoned. The situation is confusing and there is an air of danger as violence has spread to several areas, a BBC reporter in Aluthgama says.

_75544438_mayday121.jpg

Some pro-Buddhist organisations oppose what they see as undue minority influence on government. Sri Lankan media appear to have decided not to report the violence, with sources saying outlets have received "orders from above".

President Mahinda Rajapaksa has announced an investigation.

"The government will not allow anyone to take the law into their own hands. I urge all parties concerned to act in restraint," he tweeted. Correspondents say tension has recently been high between the two sides, with Muslims calling on the government to protect them from Buddhist-inspired hate attacks, and Buddhist accusing minorities of enjoying too much influence.

BBC News - Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes
this type of incident is harmful for Sri lanka's progress

83' redux.. This time targeting the Muslims.. These saffron thugs are part of the political establishment, Directly under the brother of the president.. @HeinzG .. What are your thoughts? The South is on fire!! Are you still in agreement with what these b@stards are doing to the country ?

Mark my word the govt will do nothing

83' redux.. This time targeting the Muslims.. These saffron thugs are part of the political establishment, Directly under the brother of the president.. @HeinzG .. What are your thoughts? The South is on fire!! Are you still in agreement with what these b@stards are doing to the country ?

Mark my word the govt will do nothing
why would president's brother do that ?:undecided:

why would president's brother do that ?:undecided:

All third world politics.. These thugs are created and operated to divert the attention of the masses of more pressing problems of corruption, nepotism of the govt and the unbearable cost of living.. By espousing communal hate.. They created a monster that seems to be getting out of control

Just because these thugs wear robes and call themselves Buddhist doesn't make them such.. Vast majority of Lankan Buddhists are averse to these Political puppets
This is exactly what I was wondering.

Just because these thugs wear robes and call themselves Buddhist doesn't make them such..
I know man everyone has religious nuts among themselves, but people from other countries don't buy that don't they :p:

Srilankans are only pre-empting. See what these Sunnies did to Iraq.

BBS bastard should be banned and government should regulate what goes on in mosques.

I completely agree with this.. The Lankan Muslim community too need retrospect.. Wahhabism and other forms of intolerant Islam from the middle east have been creeping in to the once most secular and forward looking Muslim community arguably in the region in recent years.. These Pariah's like these BBS and the regime feed on the insecurity of the masses and some of those feelings are not entirely unfounded either

Just because these thugs wear robes and call themselves Buddhist doesn't make them such.. Vast majority of Lankan Buddhists are averse to these Political puppets
Its something looking like "No muslim can be a terrorist,he must be RAW agent with Big Beard":lol: @Roybot

Its something looking like "No muslim can be a terrorist,he must be RAW agent with Big Beard":lol: @Roybot

Oh dont get me wrong.. These are rabid Buddhist extremists.. But to call them Buddhists at value is wrong .. Just political tools to propagate what is called Sinhala Buddhism

Btw i'm not even a Buddhist but i know for a fact these are fringe groups with little support from the majority of the people, Because these goons do not represent them

Back
Top Bottom