What's new

Sri Lanka Human Development Index in 'High' Category

NGV-H

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka has reached a ranking of 'High' Human Development (HDI=0.715, an increase of 0.010) that it now shares with Brazil and Russia. Sri lanka is placed 92nd. It has gained 5 places in the HDI rankings.

It is the highest ranking attained by any South Asian nation to date, and it places its inhabitants in the top 30% of living standards attained worldwide, by population.

Countries with "high" to "very high" human development account for less than a third of the world's total population (30%). 70% of the human population lives in countries ranked "medium" to "low", the two lower quartiles.

The gap in living standards/development between Russia and Sri Lanka is 0.073 points ; the gap between India and China is 0.145 points (approximately twice in magnitude)

Other countries of note:
Brazil, 0.730, High, increase of 0.004 (behind Oman and Saint Vincent)
Russia, 0.788, High, increase of 0.006 (behind Palau and Kuwait)
India, 0.554, Medium, increase of 0.007 (behind Ghana and tied with Equatorial Guinea)
China, 0.699, Medium, increase of 0.010 (behind Jordan and Samoa)
Pakistan, 0.515, Low, increase of 0.003 (behind Bangladesh and Kenya)

Source: United Nations 2013 Human Development Report.

Good to see Sri Lanka progressing. Frankly speaking Living standard of South India is equal or greater than Sri Lanka. its States in North like UP, Bihar which pull down both per capita as well as HDI of the entire country :hitwall:

Good to see Sri Lanka progressing. Frankly speaking Living standard of South India is equal or greater than Sri Lanka. its States in North like UP, Bihar which pull down both per capita as well as HDI of the entire country :hitwall:

Yes, but the discussion here is national HDI. You'll note that I neglected to mention Gampaha's HDI or Colombo's HDI. Sri Lanka's HDI is similarly dragged down by underperforming provinces, just like every nation on Earth.

Also if you would please refrain from guessing at statistics, I'd like to keep this thread clear. Thanks.

Yes, but the discussion here is national HDI. You'll note that I neglected to mention Gampaha's HDI or Colombo's HDI. Sri Lanka's HDI is similarly dragged down by underperforming provinces, just like every nation on Earth.

i compared because of similarity in size(perhaps) and population of both South India and Sri Lanka. No offence meant

enjoy your day :cheers:

i compared because of similarity in size(perhaps) and population of both South India and Sri Lanka. No offence meant

enjoy your day :cheers:

I understand.
And you too! :cheers:

It just seems unfair to pick one's favorite parts of a nation to merely compare it with an entire nation, regardless of population. A lower population means a proportional decrease in available human capital resources to improve the nation.

If the same was done for both nations, I'm not sure what the outcome would be, but it'd be pretty irrelevant to the majority of the inhabitants of either nation. That is why national averages are important.

are u ok? bihar and u.p are also in india not on mars , so if they didnt performed well its a failure of INDIA not just bihar or u.p .

good for srilanka :tup: congrats.

are u ok? bihar and u.p are also in india not on mars , so if they didnt performed well its a failure of INDIA not just bihar or u.p .

good for srilanka :tup: congrats.

I believe all nations will have their time. India still has its demographic dividend going for them :laugh:

But I hope Sri Lanka becomes a developed country relatively soon.

With Tamil Tiger terror violence decades, 88/89 JVP violence, in 2004 Tsunami but glad to see Sri Lanka in good standards and living conditions. With in next two years Sri Lanka automatically goes into "Upper Middle Income" category...

With Tamil Tiger terror violence decades, 88/89 JVP violence, in 2004 Tsunami but glad to see Sri Lanka in good standards and living conditions. With in next two years Sri Lanka automatically goes into "Upper Middle Income" category...

Yup! And when the per capita income rises it'll help prevent further brain drain, and eventually promote skilled immigration, as well as further increasing HDI and disposable income.

Sri Lanka GDP per capita - $3300(ppp $7500) , Western province - $7000(ppp 14,000)

Goa - state with India`s highest GDP per capita - $2900
Delhi - $2200
Kerala (2nd highest GDP per capita) - $1900 (Population of Kerala is 35 m and GDP is only 38 billion)

For Indians who are advertising India here - Sri Lanka`s living standard , Gdp percapita, health indicators , literacy rate , cleanliness all are better than any part of India~

congrats to srilanka..proud of u guys...china is not bad too..i think it may take a decade more to become developed...what we need right now is planning and patience

Sri Lanka GDP per capita - $3300(ppp $7500) , Western province - $7000(ppp 14,000)

Goa - state with India`s highest GDP per capita - $2900
Delhi - $2200
Kerala (2nd highest GDP per capita) - $1900 (Population of Kerala is 35 m and GDP is only 38 billion)

For Indians who are advertising India here - Sri Lanka`s living standard , Gdp percapita, health indicators , literacy rate , cleanliness all are better than any part of India~

what is it that u want to prove??we know that india is not comparitively good..and we're happy with srilankans success..dont troll this nice thread

have you ever been to far flung areas of andhra, karnatka and tamilnadu ??

Back
Top Bottom