What's new

Sri Lanka approves construction on stalled Chinese port project

@Dr. Sen missionaries or false flags? :cheesy::cheesy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::sarcastic::nana::nana::nana::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Arrey wah, everyone is ready for nuclear war here I see.

@rman120 we talk about peace, look at the posters here.

Please up up a link.

Only link I found was

Sri Lanka approves construction on stalled Chinese port project | The BRICS Post

I dont know how reliable it is.

And the photo you posted is old.

Because the latest Chinese news from today is

Whose airspace is it? Fresh row in Sri Lanka over Chinese-funded Port City project | South China Morning Post

The controversial Colombo Port City project has run into more trouble, with Sri Lanka's Civil Aviation Authority warning the airspace over the Chinese-held area in the development would be controlled by China, drawing heavy criticism from Beijing.

Sri Lanka's director-general of civil aviation and chief executive H.M.C. Nimalsiri told the South China Morning Post: "Given the media rumours of land ownership in the project, we felt it necessary to alert the government to the legal status of the airspace."

The US$1.4 billion real estate project, inaugurated by President Xi Jinping in September, is financed by state-controlled and Hong Kong-listed China Communications Construction Co (CCCC). Under the deal, CCCC is to reclaim 233 hectares of land off Colombo. Of this, CCCC would get 108 hectares, including 20 hectares on freehold basis and the rest on a 99-year lease.

The authority's stance is likely to provide grist for the opponents of the stalled project who have alleged that granting a Chinese state-owned company land would pose security threats. That argument has gained traction since two Chinese submarines docked in Colombo last year.

The Civil Aviation Authority's internal memo to the government on airspace was reported by Sri Lanka's state-run Daily News yesterday in a report headlined "Flying over Port City a Taboo!"

The Chinese embassy lashed out at the report, saying it was devoid of "basic common sense" and pointed out a Chinese company would hold the land, not the Chinese government.

Nimalsiri said the embassy had clarified the matter with the aviation authorities. "But since the Chinese company is state-owned, it is up to the legal department of the government to evaluate the status of the airspace."

Asked if China would control the airspace, Sri Lanka Ports Authority vice-chairman Captain Asitha Wijesekera told the Post that he had not seen any such agreement. "This is the first time I am hearing about it."

Colombo Port City is among the several Chinese-funded projects that have come under the scrutiny of the new government, which alleges large-scale corruption by the previous government of Mahinda Rajapaksa, who was ousted in the presidential elections in January.

The new government has temporarily suspended the project, asking the Chinese company to show the documents on the basis of which it started work.

Meanwhile in Beijing, the government said it was "deeply concerned" about the halted Port City project. "We hope Sri Lanka can properly handle the issue and protect the legal interests of Chinese investors," Ministry of Commerce spokesman Shen Danyang said yesterday.

Here is more

China’s project in Sri Lanka in new row of airspace control | Business Line

COLOMBO, MAR 18:
China’s controversial $1.5 billion Colombo Port City project, which was suspended by the new Sri Lankan government, has run into fresh trouble after the country’s civil aviation authority raised questions on the airspace over the Chinese-held area.

“Given the media rumours of land ownership in the project, we felt it necessary to alert the government to the legal status of the airspace,” Director-General of Sri Lanka Civil Aviation Authority (SLCAA) H.M.C. Nimalsiri told the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.

The SLCCA’s internal memo to the government on airspace was published by Sri Lanka’s state-run Daily News yesterday in a report headlined “Flying over Port City a Taboo!”

It has pointed out that the airspace over the Chinese held area will exclusively be held by China.

“China will have exclusive rights over the airspace above the plot of land of the Colombo Port City, which was given to China on an outright basis” under the 1944 convention on civil aviation for which Sri Lanka as a signatory, the Daily News report said.

“The Civil Aviation Authority’s argument has sent shock waves through the new government as to how the previous government had entered into an agreement with China without scrutinising the convention and the Civil Aviation Act,” it said.

“Sri Lanka’s neighbour India earlier had raised security concerns over the project as a large portion of cargoes bound for India are trans-shipped through the Colombo Port,” the report said.

However, diplomatic sources here told the daily that this airspace issue could also be a major concern for India.

The project, inaugurated by Chinese President Xi Jinping in September last year, is financed by China’s state-controlled China Communications Construction Co (CCCC).

It was expected to play a key role for China’s Maritime Silk Road project’s implementation in the Indian Ocean.

Security threats

The SLCAA’s “stance is likely to provide grist for the opponents of the stalled project who have alleged that granting a Chinese state-owned company land would pose security threats. That argument has gained traction since two Chinese submarines docked in Colombo last year,” the Post report said.

The Chinese embassy in Colombo lashed out at the report, saying it was devoid of “basic common sense” and pointed out a Chinese company would hold the land, not the Chinese government, the Post report said.

Nimalsiri said the embassy had clarified the matter with the aviation authorities.

“But since the Chinese company is state-owned, it is up to the legal department of the government to evaluate the status of the airspace”.

Asked if China would control the airspace, Sri Lanka Ports Authority vice-chairman Captain Asitha Wijesekera told the Post that he had not seen any such agreement.

“This is the first time I am hearing about it.”

Colombo Port City is among the several Chinese-funded projects that have come under the scrutiny of the new government, which alleges large-scale corruption by the previous government of Mahinda Rajapaksa, who was ousted in the presidential elections in January.

President Maithripala Sirisena’s government also said the $5 billion loans secured by Rajapaksa from China carried exorbitant interest rates and the new government wants to renegotiate them with the Chinese government.

Sirisena is due to arrive in China on a state visit on March 26 during which the issue is expected to come for discussion.

The Sri Lankan government has temporarily suspended the project, asking the Chinese company to show the documents on the basis of which it started work.

Yesterday the Chinese Commerce Ministry said it was “deeply concerned” about the halted Port City project.

“We hope Sri Lanka can properly handle the issue and protect the legal interests of Chinese investors,” Ministry of Commerce spokesman Shen Danyang said.

@Liang any info on Chinese Media?

Please clear this confusion. I have no shame if China builds the port. It will benefit our region. I feel ashamed when a few posters here want only problems amongst us.

Last edited:
Arrey wah, everyone is ready for nuclear war here I see.

Please up up a link.

Only link I found was

Sri Lanka approves construction on stalled Chinese port project | The BRICS Post

I dont know how reliable it is.

And the photo you posted is old.

Because the latest Chinese news from today is

Whose airspace is it? Fresh row in Sri Lanka over Chinese-funded Port City project | South China Morning Post

The controversial Colombo Port City project has run into more trouble, with Sri Lanka's Civil Aviation Authority warning the airspace over the Chinese-held area in the development would be controlled by China, drawing heavy criticism from Beijing.

Sri Lanka's director-general of civil aviation and chief executive H.M.C. Nimalsiri told the South China Morning Post: "Given the media rumours of land ownership in the project, we felt it necessary to alert the government to the legal status of the airspace."

The US$1.4 billion real estate project, inaugurated by President Xi Jinping in September, is financed by state-controlled and Hong Kong-listed China Communications Construction Co (CCCC). Under the deal, CCCC is to reclaim 233 hectares of land off Colombo. Of this, CCCC would get 108 hectares, including 20 hectares on freehold basis and the rest on a 99-year lease.

The authority's stance is likely to provide grist for the opponents of the stalled project who have alleged that granting a Chinese state-owned company land would pose security threats. That argument has gained traction since two Chinese submarines docked in Colombo last year.

The Civil Aviation Authority's internal memo to the government on airspace was reported by Sri Lanka's state-run Daily News yesterday in a report headlined "Flying over Port City a Taboo!"

The Chinese embassy lashed out at the report, saying it was devoid of "basic common sense" and pointed out a Chinese company would hold the land, not the Chinese government.

Nimalsiri said the embassy had clarified the matter with the aviation authorities. "But since the Chinese company is state-owned, it is up to the legal department of the government to evaluate the status of the airspace."

Asked if China would control the airspace, Sri Lanka Ports Authority vice-chairman Captain Asitha Wijesekera told the Post that he had not seen any such agreement. "This is the first time I am hearing about it."

The new government has temporarily suspended the project, asking the Chinese company to show the documents on the basis of which it started work.

Meanwhile in Beijing, the government said it was "deeply concerned" about the halted Port City project. "We hope Sri Lanka can properly handle the issue and protect the legal interests of Chinese investors," Ministry of Commerce spokesman Shen Danyang said yesterday.

Here is more

China’s project in Sri Lanka in new row of airspace control | Business Line

COLOMBO, MAR 18:
China’s controversial $1.5 billion Colombo Port City project, which was suspended by the new Sri Lankan government, has run into fresh trouble after the country’s civil aviation authority raised questions on the airspace over the Chinese-held area.

“Given the media rumours of land ownership in the project, we felt it necessary to alert the government to the legal status of the airspace,” Director-General of Sri Lanka Civil Aviation Authority (SLCAA) H.M.C. Nimalsiri told the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.

The SLCCA’s internal memo to the government on airspace was published by Sri Lanka’s state-run Daily News yesterday in a report headlined “Flying over Port City a Taboo!”

It has pointed out that the airspace over the Chinese held area will exclusively be held by China.

“China will have exclusive rights over the airspace above the plot of land of the Colombo Port City, which was given to China on an outright basis” under the 1944 convention on civil aviation for which Sri Lanka as a signatory, the Daily News report said.

“The Civil Aviation Authority’s argument has sent shock waves through the new government as to how the previous government had entered into an agreement with China without scrutinising the convention and the Civil Aviation Act,” it said.

“Sri Lanka’s neighbour India earlier had raised security concerns over the project as a large portion of cargoes bound for India are trans-shipped through the Colombo Port,” the report said.

However, diplomatic sources here told the daily that this airspace issue could also be a major concern for India.

The project, inaugurated by Chinese President Xi Jinping in September last year, is financed by China’s state-controlled China Communications Construction Co (CCCC).

It was expected to play a key role for China’s Maritime Silk Road project’s implementation in the Indian Ocean.

Security threats

The SLCAA’s “stance is likely to provide grist for the opponents of the stalled project who have alleged that granting a Chinese state-owned company land would pose security threats. That argument has gained traction since two Chinese submarines docked in Colombo last year,” the Post report said.

The Chinese embassy in Colombo lashed out at the report, saying it was devoid of “basic common sense” and pointed out a Chinese company would hold the land, not the Chinese government, the Post report said.

Nimalsiri said the embassy had clarified the matter with the aviation authorities.

“But since the Chinese company is state-owned, it is up to the legal department of the government to evaluate the status of the airspace”.

Asked if China would control the airspace, Sri Lanka Ports Authority vice-chairman Captain Asitha Wijesekera told the Post that he had not seen any such agreement.

“This is the first time I am hearing about it.”

President Maithripala Sirisena’s government also said the $5 billion loans secured by Rajapaksa from China carried exorbitant interest rates and the new government wants to renegotiate them with the Chinese government.

Sirisena is due to arrive in China on a state visit on March 26 during which the issue is expected to come for discussion.

The Sri Lankan government has temporarily suspended the project, asking the Chinese company to show the documents on the basis of which it started work.

Yesterday the Chinese Commerce Ministry said it was “deeply concerned” about the halted Port City project.

“We hope Sri Lanka can properly handle the issue and protect the legal interests of Chinese investors,” Ministry of Commerce spokesman Shen Danyang said.

Please clear this confusion. I have no shame if China builds the port. It will benefit our region. I feeled ashamed when a few posters here want only problems amongst us.

dude the problem here is we not the chinese members or anybody else ! go read how your fellow indian members boasted about modi's so called successful lanka visit ,anyways India is already a secret nato ally everything we do is to appease the americans we are the biggest buyers of American arms .who are you even fooling? we conduct join operation with the west ,we build weapons together our secret agencies are working together please spare me your bs it's maybe fine to be nationalist but you are just a delusional loser !!

no wonder how Chinese mock at us Filthy India Photos, Chinese Netizen Reactions – chinaSMACK

Do we need the Chinese to tell us we are dirty? - ET Blogs

dude the problem here is we not the chinese members or anybody else ! go read how your fellow indian members boasting about modi's so called successful lanka visit ,anyways India is already a secret nato ally everything we do is to appease the americans we are the biggest buyers of American arms .who are you even fooling? we conduct join operation with the west ,we build weapons together our secret agencies are working together please spare me your bs it's maybe fine to be nationalist but to you are just a delusional loser !!

no wonder how Chinese mock at us Filthy India Photos, Chinese Netizen Reactions – chinaSMACK

Do we need the Chinese to tell us we are dirty? - ET Blogs

No wonder that many Pakistanis see the reality and knows the truth.

Try hard, we all can see who you are.

Last edited:
No nothing regarding approval on Chinese media...yet

Good catch. This @isupportaap already insulted me on the other forum

Now Pakistanis dont use Chinese flags, they are using Indian ones.

Again, maybe I am mistaken. This news will break later on the Chinese media.

I hope if it turns out to be not true, Pakistani members and Chinese members will not troll.

I show respect to all members here, and I dont troll.

After the whole Mistral incident, India is reconsidering the Rafael deal. But not sure about the outcome.

But I really hope the deal is given to the Russians.

Are you drunk on Romanian moon shine?

China emerges as India’s top trading partner: Study - The Times of India

Then UAE, then USA, Saudi, Swiss then Singapore and then finally a EU country Germany.

Please worry about all the Romanians getting beaten up by the German Police in Frankfurt for protesting....
Again, maybe I am mistaken. This news will break later on the Chinese media.

I hope if it turns out to be not true, Pakistani members and Chinese members will not troll.

I show respect to all members here.

Haha, yeh kamina @Luca1 ke gand sare mil ke marenge....aur woh dusra eurochut ka bhi

Soch raha hu, idher sare unity dekh kar voh sare kamine wapas ayega ya nahi...

Why do we need a win win situation when there is already a lose for EU, win for us here. We are getting all we want.

EU backs out of supporting the marines, comes to us for business.

And we treat the marine whatever way we want. Simple.

I did not know Americans like you are such big supporters of the EU. Nulands comments come to mind, "F*** the EU"

and so much more very respectful indeed

By the way, anything about this news? We can talk about that on the other thread.

You called me to this thread. Please tell me why?

look mate with due respect to you i don't mind you arguing with the chinese or the americans or who ever you please but can't you be a little more tolerant?you make us all look like barbarians /fools i hope you understand and try to argue with reasoning and not just foul mouthing thanks

Ok, as u say,

Please someone confirm this news. Chinese member confirmed there is no such news on Chinese media yet.

If its being built good for Sri Lanka, if not, I hope they can resolve the issue and build the port.

Ok, as u say,

Please someone confirm this news. Chinese member confirmed there is no such news on Chinese media yet.

If its being built good for Sri Lanka, if not, I hope they can resolve the issue and build the port.
Chinese member confirmed there is no such news on Chinese media yet????

It's very important for Sri Lanka to find the best stance between her giant neighbour as well as the biggest investment provider, China. And Sri Lanka is also reckoned as one indispensable role in One Belt and One Road.

I agree. But many Indians in here already regard SL as one of their own states. If this decision was not approved by India first, it would be an act of betrayal. India need to stop this imperialistic attitudes towards its neighbors.

I agree. But many Indians in here already regard SL as one of their own states. If this decision was not approved by India first, it would be an act of betrayal. India need to stop this imperialistic attitudes towards its neighbors.

Read my post, I really dont feel that way. But no one would beleive that would they.

Back
Top Bottom