What's new

Sri Lanka approves construction on stalled Chinese port project

I will agree with you in most developed democracy countries.
Yet for most developing countries, democracy never works...
One party will attack the other party but will do the same things after coming into power..
Protection money can be paid by awarding certain projects to the related company..
I think this kind of things also happened in the so called democracy countries..

Partly true.. But you dont seem to realize there are many more underlying issues here.. This government is in power for only 100 days.. Then they have to go for general elections, And as i said this govt came to power on a mandate of good governance and anti corruption.. The people voted for them to clean up the system.. If as you say they took kickbacks to restart the project, Then thier days are numbered..

With all due respect you have very little idea of domestic political compulsions in Sri Lanka atm.. And if you are indeed alleging that the Chinese are making kickbacks that wont be seen very positive in the eyes of the Lankan public as it stands.. Wont end up in a good result for either side

Taking money directly from government is corruption..
Making money from government project is then pretty clean..
But anyway the government pays and someone makes money.
Does it make much difference in fact?

China is helping Sri Lanka to develop, providing funds and creating jobs.
People will have better life in the future.
Why negative ideas regarding China? All west countries could do it but nobody do it until China comes..
Of course there is need for local partner to do the local projects.

Partly true.. But you dont seem to realize there are many more underlying issues here.. This government is in power for only 100 days.. Then they have to go for general elections, And as i said this govt came to power on a mandate of good governance and anti corruption.. The people voted for them to clean up the system.. If as you say they took kickbacks to restart the project, Then thier days are numbered..

With all due respect you have very little idea of domestic political compulsions in Sri Lanka atm.. And if you are indeed alleging that the Chinese are making kickbacks that wont be seen very positive in the eyes of the Lankan public as it stands.. Wont end up in a good result for either side

Calm down buddy. New infrastructures means more working opportunities and other benefit. But your newly elected govt want some extra money for themselves so we have to pay. The project will not only benefit the offcials but also ordinary people. Since the deal is reached you and us can just enjoy its outcome, why not?

Taking money directly from government is corruption..
Making money from government project is then pretty clean..
But anyway the government pays and someone makes money.
Does it make much difference in fact?

China is helping Sri Lanka to develop, providing funds and creating jobs.
People will have better life in the future.
Why negative ideas regarding China? All west countries could do it but nobody do it until China comes..
Of course there is need for local partner to do the local projects.

There may be a loss in translation.. Sorry.. Here i thought you meant the current government was paid underhand to restart the project..My bad

Yes by all means.. As i reiterated China is regarded as one of Sri Lanka's strongest allies along with Pakistan, No change in Government will change that

Ofcause yes.. Chinese investment is very welcome and will be welcomed in the future

Calm down buddy. New infrastructures means more working opportunities and other benefit. But your newly elected govt want some extra money for themselves so we have to pay. The project will not only benefit the offcials but also ordinary people. Since the deal is reached you and us can just enjoy its outcome, why not?

Now this is where i digress.. Do not paint every body with a wide brush, So how would you know the new govt needed extra money and China payed it ?? ..We value our relationship with China but not in a condescending manner.. There are still some clearances to go before in the courts.. It's not all clear yet.. The government is not in a position to take underhand money.. They are a minority government with a few more days till a general election.. Again you seem to have a very vague idea on Lankan politics

Pay cash or underhand is pretty hard.
Easy to trace and bad political influence ..
Nowadays the interest trading will be more common..
Trade what you have for what you need...

There may be a loss in translation.. Sorry.. Here i thought you meant the current government was paid underhand to restart the project..My bad

Yes by all means.. As i reiterated China is regarded as one of Sri Lanka's strongest allies along with Pakistan, No change in Government will change that

Ofcause yes.. Chinese investment is very welcome and will be welcomed in the future

Yes China values SriLanka as VIP partner.
SriLanka is very important to China
China wish to help Lankan to develop and get mutual growth benefit..
This is what China want

Now this is where i digress.. Do not paint every body with a wide brush, So how would you know the new govt needed extra money and China payed it ?? ..We value our relationship with China but not in a condescending manner.. There are still some clearances to go before in the courts.. It's not all clear yet.. The government is not in a position to take underhand money.. They are a minority government with a few more days till a general election.. Again you seem to have a very vague idea on Lankan politics

It's very important for Sri Lanka to find the best stance between her giant neighbour as well as the biggest investment provider, China. And Sri Lanka is also reckoned as one indispensable role in One Belt and One Road.

Back
Top Bottom