What's new

Spot-fixing: Wasim backs Amir return

Albatross

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI:
Pakistan’s former bowling great Wasim Akram swung behind Mohammad Amir on Thursday, saying he deserves to be forgiven and allowed back into international cricket after serving a ban for spot-fixing.

“I think we should move on in Amir’s case, forgive him as he has served his punishment for the mistake he committed and allow the youngster another chance,” Wasim told AFP.

The 19-year-old Amir was released from a British jail after serving half of his six-month sentence for spot-fixing at the Lord’s Test against England in 2010.

Amir bowled deliberate no-balls, together with his new-ball partner Mohammad Asif. Pakistan’s then captain Salman Butt and agent Mazhar Majeed were found guilty of contriving the no-balls in exchange for cash.

Butt and Asif are still serving 30- and 12-month jail terms respectively. The International Cricket Council (ICC) also banned the three players for a minimum of five years.

In his first interview since his release, which was broadcast last week, Amir accused Butt of tricking him into taking part in the scandal.

“As a cricket-loving nation we must forgive him (Amir). He has done his time and once he serves his ban he should be allowed back into international cricket as he is one of the most talented bowlers,” said Wasim.

Amir was likened to Wasim during the 2010 England tour and Wasim himself admitted Amir was a better bowler than he was aged 19.

“Lots of people including Imran Khan praised his talent and he was the hottest property in international cricket until he committed that mistake,” said Wasim, who played 104 Tests and 352 one-dayers for Pakistan.

Indian batting legend Rahul Dravid, who retired from international cricket this month, also backed Amir’s return. But England’s Kevin Pietersen said no player caught spot-fixing should be allowed to play again.

“If Pakistan is fine, the ICC is fine, then it doesn’t matter what others say. Amir should play once he serves his ban,” said Wasim.

The Pakistan Cricket Board said this month that they would liaise with the ICC to start a rehabilitation process for Amir and consider him for selection once he completes his ban.

Amir and other played involved should be banned for life.These crooks are a disgrace to our team.

it is without a doubt we r looking for a pacer like amir who will do it wonders for our team but someone like him not him who says he will not fix again i dont care how poor he was he sold his country had he ball tampered then he should have been forgiven but he did fixing and he sold his team and he sold his country

One match-fixer advocating for another match-fixer. Aamir should be set as an example to the coming generations, and there're far more talented players in line waiting for their turn, let them groom and Aamir should be taught in cricket academies as a History-player now.

Every Pakistani is opposing Amir's backing. Nice to see that. he was disgrace to the nation.

Amir selection in Pak team was totally on merit. He belongs to very poor family but he lost his reputation and trapped by clever English men. Now He has tag of spot fixer which can't be removed. So better to keep him away from the team.

Guys, you're being too harsh on him. He was only like 18 at the time and of poor background at that...come on, everybody deserves a second chance :undecided:
This is the problem we are not harsh. We should create example so that nobody can even think of spot fixing and 2nd chance.
Better to ban him in all types of cricket in Pakistan.

You have no idea what kind of a player was he huh?

I know he was immensely talented and I also want him to make a comeback in Pakistan team. But do you know we have found another guy who is as good as Amir. ;)

My only problem with the complete equation is that when any player of any game violates any rule or ethic of a game, he should be simply banned from the game for year or 10 years or life, which ever seems appropriate. However when you start punishing them in the form of jail sentences you start a bad precedence. In my opinion when you ban a player from playing, that is the most you can do to punish him. Period

In the case of Mr Aamir, keeping in view his age and exposure to the world I think a fine and a max ban of 1 year was enough. Somehow I think we have overdone the thing.

I know he was immensely talented and I also want him to make a comeback in Pakistan team. But do you know we have found another guy who is as good as Amir. ;)

If your talking about Saeed Ajmal, he's in his early 30s, a great talent founded late. He's gonna retire in say, 5 years at most. Amir is only 20 or so right now, if he comes back he'll prolly stay for 10+ years

Back
Top Bottom