What's new

Southern India’s Caste System Predates Arrival of Indo-Europeans

No its not. If you read the article, it very logically explains how caste system was prelevant in Southern India even before any such so called Aryan migration happened. Not to mention that we dont know for sure whether the Aryan migration happened for sure or not, as it hasnt been proven 100%, for all we know it could just be a myth.

Large scale migrations to the subcontinent happened for sure. That can be easily demonstrated by genetic/DNA evidence. What is in doubt today is whether the Vedic civilization was established by those migrants, or whether it was developed indigenously and later adopted by the migrant indo-Aryans.

No its not. If you read the article, it very logically explains how caste system was prelevant in Southern India even before any such so called Aryan migration happened. Not to mention that we dont know for sure whether the Aryan migration happened for sure or not, as it hasnt been proven 100%, for all we know it could just be a myth.

I appreciate your patiene. +1.

i always believed that Dravidian culture has something richer than anything Aryan and so on and wondered why Indians dont appreciate dravidianism .

So what's the need for different castes in the first place?

What is the need for specific corporate roles like CEO, Manager, Programmer, Analyst etc ?

The only difference is that these are more or less based on merit (though CEO is mostly by birth in case of family business) while the caste system,initially on merit, regressed into one by birth.

Though this is the origin there is no defence for that and we should work to removed the discrimination among the various castes by emphasizing the All are Hindu and All are Indian slogans.

I appreciate your patiene. +1.

i always believed that Dravidian culture has something richer than anything Aryan and so on and wondered why Indians dont appreciate dravidianism .

Dravidianism and Aryanism are stupid theories coined by the colonialists to perpetuate a sense of divide amongst the people. The sooner such notions go away the better for India.

My interpretation of it would be that it served as organization.

We have this tendency to "interpret" social evils charitably, instead of calling a spade a spade. Casteless socities are far more efficiently organized than caste based ones, because only people with a passion and talent for a particular profession needs to enter it. Individuals can choose what to do in life depending on their talent and interest, which leads to healthier societies and better fulfillment of people's potentials.

We have this tendency to "interpret" social evils charitably, instead of calling a spade a spade. Casteless socities are far more efficiently organized than caste based ones, because only people with a passion and talent for a particular profession needs to enter it. Individuals can choose what to do in life depending on their talent and interest, which leads to healthier societies and better fulfillment of people's potentials.

That is what I said...the initial varna system which was based purely on merit, regressed into a caste system where you are born into a particular caste. This needs to be rectified and I'm confident it will be done..even though the caste identy itself may not completely disappear..atleast the incidents of discrimination based on that should be abolished..ironically a hindu nationalist sentiment can go a long way in alleviating this caste divide by emphasizing the hindu identity..

What is the need for specific corporate roles like CEO, Manager, Programmer, Analyst etc ?

The only difference is that these are more or less based on merit (though CEO is mostly by birth in case of family business) while the caste system,initially on merit, regressed into one by birth.

Though this is the origin there is no defence for that and we should work to removed the discrimination among the various castes by emphasizing the All are Hindu and All are Indian slogans.

Dravidianism and Aryanism are stupid theories coined by the colonialists to perpetuate a sense of divide amongst the people. The sooner such notions go away the better for India.

The comparison with a structural organization in a private company (where one rises on merit or accomplishment) and entire people being condemned to a role from birth is completely baseless.

There is no such thing as "dravidianism" and "aryanism", but cultural differences sure did exist between Aryans and dravidians. The Ramayana itself has ample descriptions of that, and in fact Rama's conquering of tribes south of the dandaka forests is considered an analogy for the spread of Vedic tribes into south India (which before that was inaccessible due to the large swaths of forests of central India.)

Modern day Hinduism has adopted a lot of gods and rituals from both the Vedic religion, as well as the religions of the Dravidian people. Not everything we dislike about our society is a European invention.

We need to take back dismiss their theories and push forth our own notions. HOW CAN WE BE A COUNTRY THAT COMPLETELY DEPENDS ON SOMEONE ELSE'S INTERPRETATION? Maybe Kings from BACK overlooked many issues except for some great ones like Ashoka, Buddha, etc. The govt ain;t doing ****, coz they are clueless nor have the time when some are looting. I have the perfect plan that would reach all and work really well in India.

That is what I said...the initial varna system which was based purely on merit, regressed into a caste system where you are born into a particular caste. This needs to be rectified and I'm confident it will be done..even though the caste identy itself may not completely disappear..atleast the incidents of discrimination based on that should be abolished..ironically a hindu nationalist sentiment can go a long way in alleviating this caste divide by emphasizing the hindu identity..

A social sentiment based on a modern day constitution and respect for individual freedom and equality can also alleviate such divides, like the American constitution and bill of rights went a long way in putting an end to the religious persecutions that were the norm.

The comparison with a structural organization in a private company (where one rises on merit or accomplishment) and entire people being condemned to a role from birth is completely baseless.

There is no such thing as "dravidianism" and "aryanism", but cultural differences sure did exist between Aryans and dravidians. The Ramayana itself has ample descriptions of that, and in fact Rama's conquering of tribes south of the dandaka forests is considered an analogy for the spread of Vedic tribes into south India (which before that was inaccessible due to the large swaths of forests of central India.)

Modern day Hinduism has adopted a lot of gods and rituals from both the Vedic religion, as well as the religions of the Dravidian people. Not everything we dislike about our society is a European invention.

I think it started very basic. A small tribe if you will in which every member explored and found out what they were good at and continued to pass their knowledge to their family initially, then to apprentices. As a cohesive unit this became institutionalized thru power and religion. It was deemed as promoting prosperity and peace. Obviously, open to biased interpretation and "the temptation of desires,' it changed and morphed into slight variations from time to time. Added to that influxes and volatility such as foreign influences, invasions, famine, etc, it has digressed from its originality.

Back
Top Bottom