What's new

South Koreans react online to Japanese character traits demonstrated in hostage crisis

Internet users in South Korea are reacting to Japan’s national character represented by muted anger, masochistic apologies and gratitude for others after the Islamic State group released a video showing what appears to be the corpse of hostage Haruna Yukawa, according to a local media report.

Yukawa’s father, Shoichi, 74, told reporters at his home in Chiba Sunday after the Foreign Ministry called him to tell him that his son had been beheaded by the militants, “My mind went totally blank … I cannot find any other words.”

The father also expressed gratitude for the authorities who struggled in vain to resolve the hostage crisis as well as an apology for the public for his son causing massive trouble.

The father’s reaction has drawn mixed comments online in South Korea, with some praising Japan’s national character and others comparing their own with Japan’s, according to a Yonhap News Agency report quoted by Record China, an Internet-based news website.

“How could someone say ‘sorry’ after his son was taken hostage and murdered? I revere Japanese,” said one comment.

“I respect his calmness. I don’t like Japanese but feel envy,” another comment said.

“If South Korea is in a simiar situation, our government would surely face a barrage of criticism for its failure to rescue a hostage.”

One comment even went so far as to say that had a hostage crisis involving a South Korean had a similar outcome, a massive protest would be organized by mourning relatives against the South Korean government within a week, calling for financial compensation.

South Koreans react online to Japanese character traits demonstrated in hostage crisis | The Japan Times

Nihonjin I have heard that there were some people who were puzzled by Haruna Yukawa's activities in Syria, while Kenji Goto was seen as an ideal friend and a hero

Am I wrong?

Nihonjin I have heard that there were some people who were puzzled by Haruna Yukawa's activities in Syria, while Kenji Goto was seen as an ideal friend and a hero

Am I wrong?

Yukawa was believed to have been mentally unstable (may his soul rest in peace), yes. As for Goto, yes, he was a veteran journalist who felt a calling to report the injustices that had been imposed on the refugees. He leaves behind a wife and 2 young children. :(

Yukawa was believed to have been mentally unstable (may his soul rest in peace), yes. As for Goto, yes, he was a veteran journalist who felt a calling to report the injustices that had been imposed on the refugees. He leaves behind a wife and 2 young children. :(

I read about that. He was a good man, and he will be missed :(

I read about that. He was a good man, and he will be missed :(

ISIS may have taken their lives, but not their souls. And for a time Goto walked with us and , most importantly, made the children and people of Syria (the refugees) laugh, smile. A small reprieve to the harsh reality that they were placed in. For that, that good he did, Goto will live on in their hearts and minds.

We all come to this world, we all will leave this world. But it is our footprints that live on after our bodies end --- and the soul released.

I would like to remember Goto this way:

AJ201502020027M[1].jpg

ce0821e5c4540f3123666f914e992c1e[1].jpg

为什么我们谈论过去。武士道不负责滑稽的战争。暴行是由于战争的愤怒。在战争中,禁忌都被删除。战争改变了人们。战争的暴行是提醒所有 一节课为所有。

Bushido spirit is not responsible for war, in fact the Samurai were replaced by the large-scale modernized army (and Imperial Japanese Navy) which carried out the war, and which was decided by war mongers in the top political level. Yes, war is crazy, cruel, Japan has committed war crimes in WWII in Asia that's a hard fact. And the war criminals should be punished, as what they got in the International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE).

220px-International_Military_Tribunal_Ichigaya_Court.jpg

The International Military Tribunal for the Far East was convened at Ichigaya Court, formerly the Imperial Japanese Army HQ building, in Ichigaya, Tokyo.

Bushido placed much greater value on the virtues of loyalty and self-sacrifice, yes it could be blind loyalty from some perspective, or anything other thing, but it is not war.

100px-Bushido_Calligraphy.jpg

I disagree, even during the Korean war, the Chinese treated their prisoner as well as it was possible.

I disagree, even during the Korean war, the Chinese treated their prisoner as well as it was possible.

Japanese units often fight till death. In Battle of Iwo Jima, captured Japanese were mostly those who were too injured to commit suicide. In Okinawa they kill their women and children prior to being overrun.

For people have such attitude on life and dealth, they will view those vanquished as sub-par naturally.

But Japanese has another face. Once the military rule was hand over to civilian, civilian civil servant can be quite tolerant to native. During Japanese rule, Manchuria hit unprecedented prosperity. And Japan did put in effort to develop Taiwan.

If one treat their own life as nothing for serving his country,why should he care about a nameless enmy’s life?war is not a game as you may think,People become ruthless in war.USA and China also did a lot of dirty thing in vietnam and other country.US killed hundreds of thousands of japanese civillians by two atomic bomb.It makes me laugh that you see things so naively and nice as it's a game.This kind of war only exist in your naive mind.Typical coward southern people.

Last edited:

The Chinese Civil War saw both sides (Nationalist and Communist Forces) commit unspeakable crimes against civilians as well. In light of this thread's subject matter, I don't want to go into specifics. If you want we can open a new thread to conjecture on this historical issue.

Lastly, I will state that there is a dichotomy between the politics of civilian government vs military government in the Japanese Empire. Prior to 1930, Japan was controlled by a civilian government -- and you will see that the way Japan administered, developed Taiwan and Korea during said government is holistically different to how the military government handled things post 1930. You need to realize that.

Thanks.

If one treat their own life as nothing for serving his country,why should he care about a nameless enmy’s life?

The CPC treated enemies POW like emperor. But once CPC soldiers were captured by enemy, their best chance is to get asylum in enemy land. Do not return to CPC land.

CPC will shoot their repatriated soldiers.

CPC is wicked in ways that need further discussion. The white man treated their own soldiers who got POWs with great magnanimity.

If one treat their own life as nothing for serving his country,why should he care about a nameless enmy’s life?
The CPC treated enemies POW like emperor. But once CPC soldiers were captured by enemy, their best chance is to get asylum in enemy land. Do not return to CPC land.

CPC is wicked in ways that need further discussion. The white man treated their own soldiers who got POWs with great magnanimity.
Fack off,none of your bussinese.

Singaporean Guy,

Please stop bringing in anti-CPC in every single discussion. What's wrong with you? Too much masala ?

The Chinese Civil War saw both sides (Nationalist and Communist Forces) commit unspeakable crimes against civilians as well. In light of this thread's subject matter, I don't want to go into specifics. If you want we can open a new thread to conjecture on this historical issue.

Lastly, I will state that there is a dichotomy between the politics of civilian government vs military government in the Japanese Empire. Prior to 1930, Japan was controlled by a civilian government -- and you will see that the way Japan administered, developed Taiwan and Korea during said government is holistically different to how the military government handled things post 1930. You need to realize that.

Thanks.

There is further need to discuss on how CPC and KMT treated one another POWs in civil war, not so simple. KMT soldiers were forced conscript of peasant background, a perfect fertile ground to poison them with class warfare.

At the later stage of Chinese civil war, CPC perfected the art of recruiting from KMT POWs. The POWs who were not educated were well fed, then being showed stories and dramas of how landlord shit on peasants, including rape...etc.

These KMT soldiers after brainwash become loyal CPC soldiers and were willing to die and kill KMT.

Below is white hair girl, one of famous CPC rape show.

%25E7%2599%25BD%25E6%25AF%259B%25E5%25A5%25B3.jpg

Singaporean Guy,

Please stop bringing in anti-CPC in every single discussion. What's wrong with you? Too much masala ?

I am telling the truth about CPC conduct on POW.

If Japan do shit, I will tell truth also.

lol

Japanese tremble to what Singaporeans say. :lol:

I speak the truth. I am familiar with modern history of China and China classics. When Chinese do good, I commend, when do bad, I tell the truth.

Not just Chinese, I speak honest opinions on all races.

I believe that truth will set us free.

I speak the truth. I am familiar with modern history of China and China classics. When Chinese do good, I commend, when do bad, I tell the truth.

Not just Chinese, I speak honest opinions on all races.

I believe that truth will set us free.

Okay, buddy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom