What's new

South China Sea Forum

I'd still say Australia is by far more aligned with the US politically and militarily.

I agree it's not a threat, just a fact.

yes, largely. The last pro-China PM K-Rudd was oust from the job in 2009, you can see how pro-China Australia really is......

Ah, you got the idea wrong. China is not saying "I build it, now its mine", but rather "its mine so I build on it", which is what other states in the SCS are doing as well.

Don't need me to tell them, as they have been saying that all along.

If it is just a reef, it is not territory. If you construct on a reef, it doesn't suddenly become (is)land or territory. See applicable articles.

Looks like we see where the EU stands

European Union sides with United States on South China Sea incident| Reuters

The European Union sided with Washington on Friday over a U.S.-Chinese patrolling incident in the South China Sea, in a move that may affect Brussels' discussions with Beijing at next week's Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) of foreign affairs ministers.

On Tuesday, a U.S. warship sailed within 12 nautical miles of one of Beijing's man-made islands in the contested Spratly archipelago, triggering a sharp reaction from China.

"The U.S. are exercising their freedom of navigation," a senior EU official said at a briefing, chiming with the U.S. line.

A U.S. Navy spokesman had said that the patrol was part of the U.S. freedom of navigation operations meant to "protect the rights, freedoms, and lawful uses of the sea and airspace guaranteed to all nations under international law".

The EU is concerned about Beijing's plans to build new islands in contested waters, the EU official said, a statement that may be welcomed by other Asian nations opposing China's claims to almost the entire South China Sea.

Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei contest China's sovereignty over parts of one of the world's busiest sea lanes.

"Whilst not taking a position on claims, the EU is committed to a maritime order based upon the principles of international law, in particular as reflected in the United Nations Convention on the law of the Sea (UNCLOS)," an EU foreign affairs spokesman said in a statement.

The EU has been nursing relations with Beijing, hoping to attract Chinese funds to relaunch the bloc's sluggish economy and has been negotiating a bilateral investment and trade deal.

In defiance of Washington, EU governments have also decided to join the Chinese-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).

European and Asian foreign affairs ministers gather in Luxembourg next week for ASEM, a regular event that brings together all 28 EU countries and 21 Asian nations, including China, Vietnam and the Philippines.

I don't have an embassy here, I live in my country. So basically everybody care what I have to say. You? I don't know

You mean you never run into anyone who tell you to "go back to your own country"? Although there are quiet a few video from Australia that says otherwise, I guess you have been the lucky one. Citizenship really matters not.

You mean you never run into anyone who tell you to "go back to your own country"? Although there are quiet a few video from Australia that says otherwise, I guess you have been the lucky one. Citizenship really matters not.

I don't know what you saw in Television, or what you encountered. No, not once did anyone I meet told me to go back to where I came from, maybe I am a bit different?

I was born in the US, speak perfect and fluent English with slight Mid-Western Accents, have a Caucasian wife who ironically don't speak English Fluently. Most of my friend are white people.

I think you only got called on that if you refuse to assimilate. I mean if you speak Chinese in a mall in the US, that kind of attract a lot of attention don't you think?

I don't know what you saw in Television, or what you encountered. No, not once did anyone I meet told me to go back to where I came from, maybe I am a bit different?

I was born in the US, speak perfect and fluent English with slight Mid-Western Accents, have a Caucasian wife who ironically don't speak English Fluently. Most of my friend are white people.

I think you only got called on that if you refuse to assimilate. I mean if you speak Chinese in a mall in the US, that kind of attract a lot of attention don't you think?

Hmm, so you are one of those guys who would blame rape victim for dressing too provocatively? Interesting.

Hmm, so you are one of those guys who would blame rape victim for dressing too provocatively? Interesting.

I don't know how you get from A to B. But no.

I said you attract attention if you speak Chinese in a US mall, I never say the verbal assault is justified or deserved. I found that you had a habit to put word into people's mouth.

Last edited:
Even completely submerged rock are claimed by countries as territory, or else we wouldn't have the dispute in the SCS in the first place.
The fact that that is the case does not mean such claims are valid.

The fact that that is the case does not mean such claims are valid.

What is right? Can you point out where in UNCLOS does it say that reef are not territory? Pretty much every coastal state controls reef/atoll as territory. US has the Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll for example right in the middle of the Pacific, thousands miles away from its mainland.

What is right? Can you point out where in UNCLOS does it say that reef are not territory? Pretty much every coastal state controls reef/atoll as territory. US has the Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll for example right in the middle of the Pacific, thousands miles away from its mainland.
You were talking about submerged rocks, not reefs. I'm not sure such rocks can be claimed as territory but in any event under Article 121-3 they have no exclusive economic zone. Artificial islands do not possess the status of islands. (Article 60-8)

Palmyra Atoll is an actual island with a history of ownership by numerous parties. Kingman Reef is a navigational hazard and less than three acres of it are above water. These are not disputed territories.

You were talking about submerged rocks, not reefs. I'm not sure such rocks can be claimed as territory but in any event under Article 121-3 they have no exclusive economic zone. Artificial islands do not possess the status of islands. (Article 60-8)

Palmyra Atoll is an actual island with a history of ownership by numerous parties. Kingman Reef is a navigational hazard and less than three acres of it are above water. These are not disputed territories.

This is going in circle. No one is claiming EEZ around reefs, well except Japan. If you trace the thread, you'll see that Penguin stated that reef cannot be claimed as territory, and I'm pointing it out that even submerged rock have been claimed by nations let alone reefs.

Pandjaitan may have meant for his South China Sea comments to reflect these general tendencies. His message might have been that Indonesia is neither opposed to U.S. preservation of freedom of navigation nor tolerant of Beijing’s growing assertiveness; Jakarta is merely concerned that U.S. FONOPs would risk exacerbating U.S.-China rivalry, thereby undermining regional stability and Indonesia’s national autonomy by forcing it to pick sides.

Lol, such a tongue twister. Usually when you use neither.. nor, it is on two opposing statements, but this one is a gem where neither nor means the same. Yes we get it, the writer want Indonesia to take the US side. But Indonesia as a major player in the region see US not just expanding in SCS which Jakarta has taken on part in, but also asserting itself into its own region further down south. And it also fully understands that China doesn't have the capability to project power into its Indonesian's water, but US does.

Back
Top Bottom