What's new

South Asian countries GDP-what need to do?

@thread starter - Post correct info or dont bother making such threads. You have (for your own insecurities I guess) inflated Pakistan's per capita income and deflated india's per capita income. And then when people try to correct you, you get offended and start crying for no reason when its your own fault (intentionally) to begin with.

On topic: Education and Infrastructure are the two main elements that can push you to the middle range self-sufficient economy range ($20,000ish). After that, you really need to develop all the sectors in your nation to push the high-income range ($35,000+).

What are you talking about?

In South Asia alone... Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Bhutan are ALL growing faster than India.

more percentage growth doesn't mean more addition to nominal GDP, the base is different for India & it is different for every other country in south asia.

hope our region develop fast to catch up with other region if we work/help each others which seems impossible due to one big country who want the superiority over others at any cost no matter she doesnt even deserve to be big....

hope our region develop fast to catch up with other region if we work/help each others which seems impossible due to one big country who want the superiority over others at any cost no matter she doesnt even deserve to be big....
i think u are talking about communist and big dady china.:china:

Overall south asia is considered one of the poorest and underdeveloped regions in world.

South asians need to pull their socks up and start working.

i think u are talking about communist and big dady china.:china:

China is in South Asia.....nice to know that..:D wht a level u got..:D

Overall south asia is considered one of the poorest and underdeveloped regions in world.

South asians need to pull their socks up and start working.

& the best thing we can do is to help/support each others instead of pulling every one's leg...

China is in South Asia.....nice to know that..:D wht a level u got..:D

Then where is it?

It is not in South-East Asia,there is nothing called middle Asia, It is on the pacific but not like Japan & Korea which are only on the pacific,then where is it?

Then where is it?

It is not in South-East Asia,there is nothing called middle Asia, It is on the pacific but not like Japan & Korea which are only on the pacific,then where is it?

China's an East Asian country, same as Mongolia, Manchuria, Siberia, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Tibet.

I would say that politically, SL is the most politically stable country in the South Asian region. There's lesser politicization of day to day life in SL compared to us and Pakistanis where the lives of each individual revolves around politics. People are simpler in SL and their leader has something called spine unlike our joker of a PM.

Despite being a small country, SL has the guts to do what it has to do without worrying about votebank or certain lop-sided sections of their country. This is why India and even Pakistan to a large extent are considered a joke these days by western countries.

People in the two south Asia's largest countries should realize and question their government not the Anna Hazare way but the Bhagat Singh way. They should realize that fasting, protesting with banners or anything as such will have no effect on the corrupt regimes sitting in Delhi or Islamabad.

see their infrastructure and ur infrastructure .ur country infrastructure is not better than india and in technology wise ur country is way behind than india and these countries(so don't talk big).by the way these countries are not heavily dipendent on foreign assistance .and australia main export is coal, iron ore, diamonds, gold, natural gas, meat, wool, aluminum. so please don't compare india with australia .we have no rich minral and natural resource like austalia .we were in past(1500 years) one of the biggest economy and in future will be becaome one of the biggest economy.and ur tiny cuntury culture ,religion many thing given by us.

Let's be honest Alok, Sri Lanka has done better than India, despite a debilitating war which ravaged the island for over 25 years.

Sri Lanka is Asia's oldest parliamentary democracy with universal suffrage for both men and women since 1931 and parliamentary government since independence from British rule in 1948. The world's first woman prime minister was from Sri Lanka.

Better GDP per capita

List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Better HDI

metro340.jpg

Sri Lanka, a lower middle-income country, has experienced a protracted civil conflict and the devastation of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Yet the country’s progress in human development, particularly in maternal and child health and education, has been one of the key success stories among developing countries in recent decades.

Sri Lanka’s maternal mortality ratio declined from 340 per 100,000 live births in 1960 to 43 per 100,000 live births in 2005, and 98 per cent of births now take place in hospitals. Rates of antenatal care (at least one visit) and skilled attendance at birth stand at 99 per cent. These results have also had positive effects on child survival: The under-five mortality rate has fallen from 32 per 1,000 live births in 1990 to 21 per 1,000 live births in 2007. The latest available data suggest that the neonatal mortality rate has also fallen, to around 8 per 1,000 births in 2004.

In basic education, too, Sri Lanka’s performance has been outstanding. According to the latest international estimates, net primary school enrolment stands at more than 97 per cent for both girls and boys, while literacy rates among young people aged 15–24 are 97 per cent for males and 98 per cent for females. Administrative data suggest that the completion rate for primary school is 100 per cent. Given the positive correlation between education and maternal and child survival, these are the results of sustained investment in all three areas.
UNICEF - Devpro Resource Centre - Prioritizing maternal health in Sri Lanka

Better relations with all her neighbours; Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives, China, Iran - all have great and cordial political relations with Sri Lanka.

And now even a faster growing economy after the end of the war:

Sri Lanka records best-ever economic growth
Sri Lanka's economy grew by 8.3 percent last year, the fastest expansion since independence from Britain in 1948, the census and statistics department said Thursday.
Sri Lanka records best-ever economic growth - Channel NewsAsia

A booming tourism industry:

Sri Lanka tourism booming with arrivals up
Arrivals have risen every month on a year-on-year basis since the war's end in May 2009, and the government is targeting annual revenue of $2.5 billion by 2016 from visitors coming to see Sri Lanka's beaches, hills and religious and historic sites.
Sri Lanka tourism booming with arrivals up 32 percent in July | Reuters

More politically stable than India - no random bomb blasts or terrorist attacks or separatist groups anymore.

The average Sri Lankan has a higher quality of life than the average Indian.

Women are treated far, far better in Sri Lanka and have a higher position in society than they do in India:

Female infanticide is absolutely unheard of in Sri Lanka

6243192128_7e7134ce21_b.jpg

Sri Lanka’s sex ratio is about 0.9, meaning that there are around 897 men for every 1,000 women. Compare that to India (1.08), where there are around 1,080 men for every 1,000 women. That seems mundane, but it soon becomes 80,000 extra men per million and 800,000 extra per billion.

The average Sri Lankan is far more generous and civically engaged, than the average Indian:

givp.jpg
giving3.jpg

The U.S. is the world’s biggest cornea provider, sending more than 16,000 corneas to other countries in 2010, according to the Eye Bank Association of America. But Sri Lanka, which is 15 times smaller, actually donates about triple that number of corneas per capita each year.

There is no waiting list for eye tissue in Sri Lanka, and its people get first access to free corneas. About 40,000 have been transplanted locally since the beginning, but that still leaves a surplus each year. Sri Lanka donates eyes to the world | Inquirer News

"One startling fact of this is we still import eyes from Sri Lanka, which is 1/4th or even less size than India. Sri Lanka, besides catering to its own requirement, sends the eyeballs to several other countries." Pledge ur EyEs: FACTS of Eye Donation, in India

And Sri Lanka is a lot cleaner than India too

I just came back from Sri Lanka after an enjoyable family trip. As soon as I stepped out of the impressive, new Indira Gandhi Airport Terminal I was immediately struck by the contrast India presents to its visitors. Sri Lanka is obviously much smaller and probably considerably easier to manage that India ever will be. But I have to be honest. My observations of Lanka gave me a clear impression that life is cleaner, safer, and more efficient there.
http://swimming-in-india.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/why-are-streets-so-******-in-india.html

Initially there wasn't much of a culture shock arriving in Colombo. The Sri Lankans look like Indians (at least to my untrained eye) and you can almost believe Colombo to be an Indian city until you notice that everything's much cleaner here and the people nicer in general. Mike Meaney - Diary: 14. Sri Lanka, India[/i]

I haven't done so much compare and contrast of Sri Lanka and India, but it only seems natural. In some sense India is Sri Lanka's only neighbor. I believe the two countries are only separated by 10km of water, perhaps not even that much.

When I was in Colombo, I noticed mainly that Sri Lanka is better organized. In fact it is well organized, and India is completely disorganized. I believe there is exactly one issue that separates the two.

India is overcrowded. Sri Lanka is not. Sri Lanka has nice wide clean streets, with street cleaners actively working often. There are even trashcans near the streets! What I think is that Sri Lanka is essentially distilled India.

Sri Lanka is less crowded, has fewer languages, fewer distinct cultures, cleaner, more organized, has mountains and flat land, etc.

Basically, the idea of distillation is taking out MOST of the bad stuff and leaving MOST of the good stuff. I think that description fits. Clark travels the world: Sri Lanka is Dsitilled India

Immediately after leaving customs it became very clear that Sri Lanka was a cleaner, more relaxed country than India and the streets were relatively quiet; the drivers did not honk every 5 seconds just for the hell of it. Sri Lanka | The Charlie Porter Quartet Blog

The first impression that struck us when we arrived in Sri Lanka was how much cleaner it is in comparison to India. We had been told a few times that Sri Lanka is ‘India with a broom’ and we’ve found that a pretty accurate description. The streets are clean and swept free of rubbish – a welcome change from many of the destinations in India which were buried under layers of trash and garbage... Elephants, Rocks & Kandy in Sri Lanka » Inject Me With Travel

We can’t help but compare Sri Lanka to India. It’s much cleaner, there’s less honking, less traffic and less pollution. Ayubowan Sri Lanka - Rina and Adam

No need to be try and put down others; it's a very typical Indian mentality and one of the reasons India does not have many friends in the neighbourhood.

I made this thread to see the economies of our countries & to discuss without fight to what to for the betterment of situation......with lowest per capita income in the whole world & highest weopons purchases----- SHAME

Following are the south asian countries with their GDP & per capita

Country----------------------GDP(in Bl $)------------------Per Capita (in $)

Pakistan---------------------------233---------------------------1378
Bangladesh-----------------------104---------------------------701
India------------------------------1676--------------------------1389
Srilanka---------------------------59-----------------------------2830
Nepal----------------------------- 17.9 ------------------------619
Afghanistan----------------------19.6---------------------------576

how can we imrove the situation...........

Per capita is not a great sign of real quality of lifestyle.

It is should PPP.

In South Asia alone... Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Bhutan are ALL growing faster than India.

yeah what a great comparison?

I know you are a moron,

what about the comparison of the economy sizes.

Per capita is not a great sign of real quality of lifestyle.

It is should PPP.

yeah what a great comparison?

I know you are a moron,

what about the comparison of the economy sizes.

another talk about PPP, PPP is a joke

In South Asia alone... Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Bhutan are ALL growing faster than India and China
Corrected it for you.

Sri Lanka's per capita income to reach US$ 4,400 in 2015

Sri Lanka would increase its per capita income from the current US $ 2,399 in 2012 to US $ 4,400 in 2015. The country would also develop fast and would have a growth rate of around 9% during the period said Dr. T. Lalitha Gunaruwan, Senior Lecturer (Economics), University of Colombo, Speaking at the 'Railways for Our Future' seminar organized by the Institute of Supply and Material Management (ISMM) at the OPA Auditorium he said that the demand for logistics and transport would experience enormous pressure. Doubling of per-capita income by 2015 will lead to parallel increase of value of time.

Sri Lanka Business News | Online edition of Daily News - Lakehouse Newspapers
Thats great..thats what China's per capita income is..!

Back
Top Bottom