What's new

Solar power in Pakistan

solar power is at the moment more expensive than wind power, but that's changing...

This isn't necessarily true and most of the problems are associated with battery storage costs if we are talking about running the country purely on solar. However, in association with others sources of electricity Solar is a very good addition for Pakistan.

What you stated is based on calculations made on the number of solar hours various parts of N. America and Europe typically get.

Like the article stated a lot of those countries that do not consider solar are getting about 1500 hours of sunlight a year while Pakistan is getting between 2200 to 2500 hours a year and with higher costs to construct such plants in western countries and import the panels in comparison to Pakistan the projects are referenced as being too costly. However, that isn't actually the end of it because another fact that people don't take into consideration is solar insolation which tells you how much energy is radiated onto a given surface by the sun and based on the solar insolation map below you can clearly see that 1 sun hour in Pakistan is actually the equivalent to 5 to 6 hours of sunlight in parts of Europe or N. America:

world_insolation.gif

Solar energy is VERY profitable in Pakistan's case and solar systems are now at a point where their cost, even if imported, is cheaper than coal (I would rather turn Thar's lignite into fuel for our cars and possible export) but if we were to manufacture them in Pakistan and related equipment, which in turn boosts economic growth in the country, it would make them a lot cheaper and the best source of electricity especially considering it doesn't take much technical skill to manufacture and install them and they can be situated close to main cities (i.e. unlike nuclear, hydro, etc... plants that can be located many miles away and with Pakistanis transmission and distribution losses do not make as much of an impact as something like solar which is far more environmentally friendly).

My moms side in particular is extremely wealthy with large estates and houses (perfect for solar arrays) but instead of using solar they all went with large imported diesel generators that require imported diesel. I never had a chance to talk to anyone about why they didn't switch to solar but my mom did. Unfortunately, she didn't understand the technical aspects and it seems neither did my uncles and aunts because based on her vague response, I just asked her a few moments ago, they told her it was too unreliable and extremely expensive (which makes no sense since they are wasting thousands of dollars on the stupidest ****) and it was very clear that their conceptions about solar energy are based on what a few articles referencing the N. American or European markets said. Thus, if some of the wealthiest and most educated in Pakistan don't even know the truth nor take the time to properly research the solar option it is quite evident why Pakistanis seem to have this false perception about solar.

For example, I believe the rates for electricity in Lahore is something like US $0.15/KWh (this is even higher than most places in Canada). Lets assume the city gets only a total of 2000 hours of sunlight so a home using a 10KW system (based on Pakistan's figures would produce be a lot more electricity than even a N. American family would need), costing $15000 with install (this includes UPS, backup batteries, etc...), would generate 20,000 KWh of electricity a year. Thus, based on the electric rates I previously stated the payback is almost 4.5 years. Solar systems last about 20 to 30 years with little maintenance (you will have to replace the inverter every 10 years which usually cost around $3000 for a 10KW system and you may need to replace the batteries) so after 4.5 years you are essentially getting free electricity and the total you would have saved once the system dies on you (lets assume 20 years - what actually happens is that in 20 years you only get about 90% of the electricity you did before and it just keeps going downhill until you are only getting about 80% of what you previously produced when it turns 30, etc...) is about $100,000 US. However, the figure should actually be a lot higher because I based the calculations do not take Pakistan's higher solar insolation into account. Imagine if large scale plants were built people could be getting electricity for $0.09/KWh or even cheaper (particularly for businesses) which would make them a lot more competitive.

People in Pakistan usually lament the sun especially during the summers but don't realize that what seems like such a pain could actually be one of their biggest assets.

My major concern was the cost of the backup batteries but there are a lot of new developments like Vanadium Redox Batteries as well s Aluminum (or other metal) oxide batteries that take care of power storage on an grid level scale. However, in conjunction with other sources of electricity generation Solar is very profitable.

As for the alternative sources of electricity generation can come from the countries massive conventional and unconventional natural gas resources and our large lignite deposits.

SOLAR IS FREE YOU INVEST 1 TIME YOU GET FREE STUFF 4 LIFE :smitten:

not for long dont bet on it...it is only free for the masters...pretty soon they are going to put up environmental energy tax...since thye cant tax the real robber barons [they make the laws you see] thee will tax those who try to live honestly.....long live the tindoos, mr 10 % and the rest of the rotters....

Solar Power is to expensive for Pakistan the only solution is first to some how clear circular debt and also built new units on different water sources in Pakistan

Solar Power is to expensive for Pakistan the only solution is first to some how clear circular debt and also built new units on different water sources in Pakistan

It is far less expensive than the furnace oil you use in your power plant.

Sir we need to **** those plants on Coal Sir and hydro is the cheapest one

Burning Coal is highly damaging to environment and health.Our cities currently has some of the poorest relative air quality in the world.Hydro power may not be as cheap as it sounds,building dams may need large resettlement of people,so often compensation may increase the capital costs.

It is far less expensive than the furnace oil you use in your power plant.

The real problem has to do with batteries for electricity storage.

Right now there aren't any tried and tested on a grid level scale which offer cheap economical storage of electricity generated from solar sources. However, metal oxide bateries (particularly aluminum oxide) can become a very attractive source for backing up power in case of emergencies.

Solar alongside using our conventional and unconventional natural gas sources as well as our large lignite reserves at Thar would make the operation extremely profitable.

Furthermore, if we produce the solar panels and related equipment domestically, solar can not only play a big role in Pakistan's energy mix but it will also contribute significantly to the economies growth.

It is cheaper than what hydal energy cost Pakistanis.

Some people are spreading misinformation on this forum about solar energy... do not listen to them.

All what Pakistan need to solve its energy crisis is to liberalize investment in energy sector, all crisis will be gone within a year.

Sir we need to **** those plants on Coal Sir and hydro is the cheapest one

Problem with hydro is its transmission cost.. which in Pakistan means it is being stolen by Zardari mafia and sabotage by indian perpetrators.

The issue with Solar is still of cost. Solar Power will only be feasible if it becomes economically viable.

There's a lot of excess solar panels available in China. And there's gonna be some more in the near future. Tell them to share!
You can argument it on the grounds they won't be able to sell it anyway since they have loads of overcapacity. :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom