Solar power in Pakistan

Peoples repeat after me :flame:

1) Our first priority should be DAMS + Hydro power projects

2) Second priority goes to Coal

3) Third goes to Nuclear

4) Wind

5) Natural Gas

10) Solar

I printscreened these two charts from one of the pdf document file called "IS NUCLEAR POWER PAKISTAN’S BEST ENERGY INVESTMENT?"

relativecostsofvariousr.jpg

onemorel.jpg

If you want to download this file please go to

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Windmills for Kashmir and Khyber

Nuclear/Hydro/Bio Power for Punjab and Sindh

Solar for Balochistan

Am I right?

Solar for Balochistan

Am I right?

cheeta hai tu FreekiN :tup:

I would say

Nuclear/Hydro for Punjab

Wind/Hydro for Azad Kashmir, Gilgit Baltistan and Khyber

Coal/Nuclear/Wind for Sindh

Solar/Fossil Fuel (Natural gas only) for Balochistan

in future, get rid of expensive oil and RPPs to keep the costs down

I don't understand why our journalists keep writing articles about Solar power in Pakistan. They probably do not know how many technicalities involved in such a project. They probably do not know Solar Energy is one of the most expensive alternatives around.

Come on Journalists - i am fed up of you - why not encourage Wind panels instead? its expensive but still much cheaper than Solar?

We are a poor nation. We need to concentrate on our Hydro power projects. We need dams to irrigate our land, we need dams to generate cheaper electricity. We need dams to store water and protect our cities for flooding. Solar energy should be the last option for now. We must work on Hydro, Coal, Nuclear and Wind energy for now. Solar energy we can use once our economy is back on track and our budget deficits are equal to none

i don't like nuclear energy due to the fact that when it has been used to its limit and is no longer needed, it becomes a burden and that too a hazardous one. A lot of money is used to maintain, protect, and prevent hazardous nuclear waste from falling into the wrong hands.

i don't like nuclear energy due to the fact that when it has been used to its limit and is no longer needed, it becomes a burden and that too a hazardous one. A lot of money is used to maintain, protect, and prevent hazardous nuclear waste from falling into the wrong hands.

wht do wrong hnds do wit d nclr wste? jst curious :blink:

Its forbidden to use solar energy at home in Pakista.

Its forbidden to use solar energy at home in Pakista.

Sorry, you are entirely wrong. Different DESCOs have different policies but normally you are allowed to produce 12-15KW and above that you can sign an agreement to provide electricity to the grid yourself and earn compensation in your bill. KESC implements that with a couple of villages which have small wind turbines.

Thanks for the comparative costs one Zaki. Wind is now down to 0.051 as per NEPRA's calculations but Solar PV is going further up. I'm fed up with our journalists and everyday people writing in newspapers every week about solar power. They ******* make assumptions that the government is somehow suppressing solar, for in their view solar is super cheap. I'm going to write a letter to all leading editors pleasing them not to publish rants on solar power from now on for they lack any meaning at all.

Solar for Balochistan

Am I right?

Solar is Perfect for Baluchistan. Place are faraway so Transmission Lines would cost more and give less in return.

I think Sindh has great potential for Windmills. The shores have wonderful wind all over the year. If you travel from Karachi to Hyderabad, you'd notice great winds. Baluchistan can also have windmills in the Coastal areas.

China to transfer solar power technology

A project to generate 2,300MW of electricity through wind turbines and solar panels has turned out to be the most important agreement reached with China during the recent visit of Premier Wen Jiabao, says Board of Investment (BoI) chairman Saleem H. Mandviwala.

Briefing the media on the outcome of the Pakistan-China Business Cooperation Summit, he said the project would involve an investment of $6.5 billion and wind power projects of 1,000MW each would be set up in Punjab and Sindh. A 200MW solar power project would be set up in Punjab and another of 100MW in Sindh.

Mr Mandviwala said the agreement signed between the China International Water and Electric Corporation and the Alternate Energy Development Board would also involve transfer of technology and China would assist Pakistan in manufacturing solar panels and turbines.

He said the summit had worked out 22 memorandums of understanding (MoUs) in different sectors, including wind power generation, solar energy, mining, trade, textile, engineering goods, automobile, electronics and chemicals, but 18 MoUs were signed and the remaining four would be taken up in the near future when the BoI would hold another ‘business-to-business’ meeting with Chinese investors to formalise the agreements.

He said the 18 MoUs negotiated through the forum of BoI involved $15 billion, including investment, equity sharing and borrowing. The two sides would jointly look into feasibility of the projects, decide locations in consultation with the provinces and arrange financing, he said.

The BOI chairman described the $3.55 billion MoU on National Transmission Distribution Company as yet another landmark in the energy sector, saying that power generation required new transmission and distribution lines which would be financed by the China Development Bank.

He said a project for harbour dredging could not be finalised because it needed further deliberations, but expressed the hope that it would be signed soon.

Under various agreements, Chinese private sector companies will buy cotton yarn, seafood, frozen fish, guar, marble stone, rapeseed, chrome ore, manganese ore, and different types of leather from Pakistani private sector.

A list of 13 inter-governmental projects for which MoUs have been signed includes reciprocal establishment of cultural centres; strengthening technical cooperation and Pak-China road transport activities between the Chinese ministry of transport and Pakistan’s ministry of communication; grant of $200 million for flood reconstruction projects; grant of $200 million for agricultural projects; concessionary loan to Pakistan for non-intrusive vehicle X-ray inspection system projects; launching of Urdu programme of China Radio International in Radio Pakistan; cooperation between the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan and the Securities Regulatory Commission of China; Safe City Islamabad project; and establishment of National Electronics Complex of Pakistan.

About an agreement on Bilateral Investment Treaty with the United States, Mr Mandviwala said that talks were progressing since the US had made changes in the templates which were delaying signing of the treaty.

China to transfer solar power technology | Business | DAWN.COM

Back
Top Bottom