What's new

Solar power in Pakistan

as per my knowledge, a german company installed those wind mills (4 each having capacity of 1.5MW) but due to poor attention n lack of maintenace, they are rusting now--broken n useless..
we should go for biomass fuel esp in rural areas..cheap n easy method!

its not rusting,

the total energy is expected to be increased 50MW and we have a seperate project of Turkish company. Overall we have at least 4 wind power projects expected to generate 50MW each and the german project you mentioned if i am not wrong was later on supposed to be further expanded to 1000MW after transfer of technology.

There was a video somewhere in this economy section that Ajpirzada posted from bbc urdu. They show you wind panels installed in Sindh and see how they are functioning. I was surprised to see their maintenance you know. Rusting is not a right word to use

go for solar energy........
go for green..................:bounce::bounce:

I don't understand why our journalists keep writing articles about Solar power in Pakistan. They probably do not know how many technicalities involved in such a project. They probably do not know Solar Energy is one of the most expensive alternatives around.

Come on Journalists - i am fed up of you - why not encourage Wind panels instead? its expensive but still much cheaper than Solar?

We are a poor nation. We need to concentrate on our Hydro power projects. We need dams to irrigate our land, we need dams to generate cheaper electricity. We need dams to store water and protect our cities for flooding. Solar energy should be the last option for now. We must work on Hydro, Coal, Nuclear and Wind energy for now. Solar energy we can use once our economy is back on track and our budget deficits are equal to none

It is only the import duty which makes it expensive.
Technically it is simple.
It is best suited to army, as it is most likely duty free for them.
Solar energy is being used in poorest states like nepal and african countries but their govt. provide rebates to those who opt for solar energy, as it make complete sense.

In practice, Govt. already spend huge money in construction and maintenance of transmission and distribution infrastructure and in case of converting to independent solar power, said costs are direct saving or bonus for respective govt. hence poor states are more aggressive in promoting solar energy and support private investors in form of exempting import duties and paying out rebates etc..
In case of Pakistan potential of savings to the govt. can be WORLD RECORD because our line losses are around 40% (WORLD RECORD) comprising, mainly stolen energy by politicians, their families and activists.
In honest analysis, saving and benefits to the Pak govt. in case of independent solar power houses is many hundred folds more than any state on earth.
At the same time promoting solar power in Pakistan risk the free energy to the huge army of politicians, corrupt state officials and political activists.

In Pakistan we can forget about solar energy as long govt. is corrupt. Actually, it is an indicator of corrupt govt.

Let there be no doubt that energy crisis in Pakistan is artificial and engineered. This should be taken as an indicator of WORLD RECORD of corruption.

Any doubts..... I'm here to clarify.

@ Zaki i think solar panel are more greener than wind panel .
there is this study i dont remember it says tht using windmills can change the weather in the uspper country as the wind travels from karachi to upward toward northeren areas .and all the rain thing is dependent on this flow of wind .
so if we use more like 100,s of them they are going to creat problem in the way of the wind and indirectly affecting rains.

theres solar panels in gwadar !

khanz i luv tht bachie muchie in ur avatar :smitten:

@ topic - we definitely can take advantage of d solar power. Allah s.w.t. has provided us wit ths gift, now its up to us how efficiently & quickly we tk advantage of this source of energy. we also hv 2 look @ our energy usage. better not waste it, ths is wher prob start. we start wasting resources once we hv it & thn other prob arise wit tht wastage or over use of sth

@ Zaki i think solar panel are more greener than wind panel .
there is this study i dont remember it says tht using windmills can change the weather in the uspper country as the wind travels from karachi to upward toward northeren areas .and all the rain thing is dependent on this flow of wind .
so if we use more like 100,s of them they are going to creat problem in the way of the wind and indirectly affecting rains.

gt dulux paint & mk it green. wtz d prob in it?

theres solar panels in gwadar !

most of the street lights in Gwadar are running on solar panels. I would love to see this trend in other bigger cities of Pakistan to ensure electricity during nights. I guess they should start from Islamabad :smitten:

@ topic

one of my friend (who is now a Nuclear scientist) was working on a project couple of months ago and shared this chart with me while we were arguing about the possible energy alternatives in Pakistan.

solar+vs+wind+vs+nuclear.jpg

I don't understand why our journalists keep writing articles about Solar power in Pakistan. They probably do not know how many technicalities involved in such a project. They probably do not know Solar Energy is one of the most expensive alternatives around.

Ok this could be dumb i am not a scientist but what i think solar seems cheaper as for eg if take those solar calculators which are like 30rs and they work forever so if were to some how (may be you will know?) expand that technology wont be this much cheaper and cost effective?

@ topic

one of my friend (who is now a Nuclear scientist) was working on a project couple of months ago and shared this chart with me while we were arguing about the possible energy alternatives in Pakistan.

solar+vs+wind+vs+nuclear.jpg

For producing nuclear energy, we need nuclear fuel. which is a long process of mining and refining.

Best suited is hydal energy and this is where india is focusing most.
It also helps in water managment.

Biggest advantage of solar energy is that it can be used in areas with no wind and most of our population is in Punjab, its installation costs are low. independence from national grid and all related cost and operational advantages.

Bijli chor govt. will never alllow any thing which makes this awam independent of them.

For producing nuclear energy, we need nuclear fuel. which is a long process of mining and refining.

Best suited is hydal energy and this is where india is focusing most.
It also helps in water managment.

Biggest advantage of solar energy is that it can be used in areas with no wind and most of our population is in Punjab, its installation costs are low. independence from national grid and all related cost and operational advantages.

Bijli chor govt. will never alllow any thing which makes this awam independent of them.

dnt v already hv thoz facilities? all thoz military & research reactors for enrichment & milling. v also offerd nuclear fuel cycle service which meanz v no sth bout it & hv hands on experience

I'm not so much aware but i believe it is limited scale level.
Still nuclear energy needed to be transmitted and will again be stollen by the corrupt theivs.

Ok this could be dumb i am not a scientist but what i think solar seems cheaper as for eg if take those solar calculators which are like 30rs and they work forever so if were to some how (may be you will know?) expand that technology wont be this much cheaper and cost effective?

Bhai logo its a simple logic that the bigger plant you got - the more cheaper electricity you will generate. Every single area differ in prices to each other and differ in costs per unit to each other. But one thing we must remember is Solar Energy is still in its initial stages. Look at the world's second biggest Solar power plant that only generates 42MW of electricity + second phase will be generating 20MW more and it will cost 250 million euros in total. This is not what we want, we have energy deficits of around 5000MW in peak time and we must focus on bigger and larger projects who are not only cost effective but also can generate more MW in numbers.

Where solar energy got some advantages it has got some disadvantages as well. First of all you do not have bigger plants like Hydro Nuclear or other form of electricity. Secondly after the sun is set what do you do? World's biggest solar plant is in America having total generation capacity of 350MW in 9 different power plants combined. What they do in nights is use these natural gas instead to generate electricity from these plants. If there was any such technology where we could generate like 1000MW of electricity by these plants it would have been viable for our country keeping the poor economy in mind. But at the moment solar energy is more like a toy for rich countries who are using it in the name of "Green".

At the moment we have much cheaper, better and cost effective alternatives and we should utilize them keeping the poor economy of our country in mind. Whatever we generate from solar is just extra and private companies are most welcome to do this job. Our government should focus on hydro and hydro projects only. Second priority should be given to coal, nuclear and wind power projects step by step.

Let the western countries evolve this technology to make it more cost effective so we can use this technology once its viable for us

I know how smaller solar panels work for domestic use, a solar panel with solar batteries which are kept charged by the panel, but for larger Solar plants, is it possible to store the electricity or is it like consuming it directly while it is being produced?

Back
Top Bottom