What's new

So my proud Pakistanis, what are you basically proud of?

You give me source and prove me wrong because it was you who post that first. Let me give you hint with team name also. He was PD of that task and team was Paul Streeten, Inge Kaul, Frances Stewart, Amartya Sen, and Richard Jolly

This is the source from UN-

About Human Development | Human Development Reports

"That was the original vision and remains the great achievement of the creators of the Human Development Reports, Mahbub ul-Haq of Pakistan and his close friend and collaborator, Amartya Sen of India, working with other leading development thinkers. Their concept has guided more than 20 years of global Human Development Reports, more than 600 National Human Development Reports—all researched, written and published in their respective countries—as well as the many provocative regionally focused reports supported by UNDP’s regional bureaus."

They were partners. No mention of Mr. Haq heading the team.

Your turn.

Last edited:
You are right. Haq was the originator of the idea and Sen was the brains for finally formulated it

LOL Sen was another member of the overall team which Haq brought together, Sen did not even want to be a part of the team to create the index until Haq convinced him that even one index on the subject would convince countries to focus more on development of individuals.

We have a lot to be proud of, extremism has gotten a hold of this country for the time being. Give it 15-20 years and then we will be in the top 20 nations. We just have to whither it out.

@MM_Haider stop being a miserable self loathing whatever. We keep our heads up, so should you.

What a looser comment.
I didn't mean it that way! I seriously did not! When both India and Pakistan were formed by gaining independence from the british empire,there were many skeptics who said the daily formed nations will perish in no time. But they have been proved wrong. The foundation laid by the founding fathers was strong,and its citizens have worked hard to make it one of the prominent nations in the world. And I honestly did not meant anything negative.

"That was the original vision and remains the great achievement of the creators of the Human Development Reports, Mahbub ul-Haq of Pakistan and his close friend and collaborator, Amartya Sen of India, working with other leading development thinkers. Their concept has guided more than 20 years of global Human Development Reports, more than 600 National Human Development Reports—all researched, written and published in their respective countries—as well as the many provocative regionally focused reports supported by UNDP’s regional bureaus."

Your turn.

Read 2nd para

"The basic purpose of development is to enlarge people's choices. In principle, these choices can be infinite and can change over time. People often value achievements that do not show up at all, or not immediately, in income or growth figures: greater access to knowledge, better nutrition and health services, more secure livelihoods, security against crime and physical violence, satisfying leisure hours, political and cultural freedoms and sense of participation in community activities. The objective of development is to create an enabling environment for people to enjoy long, healthy and creative lives." - Mahbub ul Haq (1934-1998), founder of the Human Development Report

Dr. Mahbub ul-Haq

Mahbub ul Haq (Pakistani economist) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

As Project Director of the Human Development Report, Dr Haq gathered a team of distinguished economists, including Paul Streeten, Amartya Sen (who was his colleague at Trinity College, Cambridge and who won the Nobel Prize in 1998), Frances Steward and Richard Jolly, who were closely involved in the production of the Human Development Reports.

4th para

THE IOS MINARET [AN ONLINE ISLAMIC MAGAZINE]
THE IOS MINARET
Institute Building,
162, Jogabai Main Road, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi-110025
Phone: 91-11-26981187, 26989253, 26987467
Fax: 91-11-26981104

You can google it for more. bottom line it was Dr. Mahboob was the man to developed this HDI Index and many independent sources certify that.

Read 2nd para

"The basic purpose of development is to enlarge people's choices. In principle, these choices can be infinite and can change over time. People often value achievements that do not show up at all, or not immediately, in income or growth figures: greater access to knowledge, better nutrition and health services, more secure livelihoods, security against crime and physical violence, satisfying leisure hours, political and cultural freedoms and sense of participation in community activities. The objective of development is to create an enabling environment for people to enjoy long, healthy and creative lives." - Mahbub ul Haq (1934-1998), founder of the Human Development Report

Dr. Mahbub ul-Haq

Mahbub ul Haq (Pakistani economist) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

As Project Director of the Human Development Report, Dr Haq gathered a team of distinguished economists, including Paul Streeten, Amartya Sen (who was his colleague at Trinity College, Cambridge and who won the Nobel Prize in 1998), Frances Steward and Richard Jolly, who were closely involved in the production of the Human Development Reports.

4th para

THE IOS MINARET [AN ONLINE ISLAMIC MAGAZINE]
THE IOS MINARET
Institute Building,
162, Jogabai Main Road, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi-110025
Phone: 91-11-26981187, 26989253, 26987467
Fax: 91-11-26981104

You can google it for more. bottom line it was Dr. Mahboob was the man to developed this HDI Index and many independent sources certify that.

Along with Dr. Amartya Sen as proved by the UN source I posted. UN credits both of them with founding the Index. Dr.Haq couldn't do it alone that's why Amartya Sen was roped in.

UN source is more trustworthy , rather than some random Islamic magazine or online Encyclopedia.

Refer to Post No. 16 for UN source. It clearly mentions HDI as their (Haq's and Sen's) concept.

Last edited:
this thread also reduced to dick measuring contest.

Is it Haq vs Sen debate ? Haq was originator of idea of HDI. Pakistani can be proud of that . Now who has problem with that ?
No one is denying Sen's contribution but credit should be given where it deserves.

Now Plz @nick_indian and @ghazaliy2k if you have decided who has bigger one ..then allow this thread to run normal.

He was leading the team and Ms. Amartya Sen was part of that team.

Along with Indian economist Amartya Sen.

Your turn.
Along with Dr. Amartya Sen as proved by the UN source I posted. UN credits both of them with founding the Index. Dr.Haq couldn't do it alone that's why Amartya Sen was roped in.

UN source is more trustworthy , rather than some random Islamic magazine or online Encyclopedia.

Refer to Post No. 16 for UN source. It clearly mentions HDI as their (Haq's and Sen's) concept.

this thread also reduced to dick measuring contest.

Is it Haq vs Sen debate ? Haq was originator of idea of HDI. Pakistani can be proud of that . Now who has problem with that ?
No one is denying Sen's contribution but credit should be given where it deserves.

Now Plz @nick_indian and @ghazaliy2k if you have decided who has bigger one ..then allow this thread to run normal.

Pakistanis were denying Sen's contribution. They were calling him a mere team member while the UN site gives him much more credit than that putting him at par with Haq. Check the source I posted. When did I deny that Pakistan has a right to be proud of Haq ? I never did.

Pakistanis were denying Sen's contribution. They were calling him a mere team member while the UN site gives him much more credit than that putting him at par with Haq. Check the source I posted. When did I deny that Pakistan has a right to be proud of Haq ? I never did.

Dr Haq came up with the idea... and was the team leader... tht must be too hard for you to swallow..

I'm proud of the fact that our forefather spent their lives building this country and what it has become in 6 decades.

I'm proud of the fact that Pakistan overcame every obstacle is and is in the Next Eleven and on its way to become a $Trillion economy.

I'm proud of Pakistan's cultural values. I'm proud of our unity and our generosity during disasters.

I'm proud of the fact that Pakistan is the sole Nuclear power in the Muslim world and that defence is impenetrable.

I'm proud of the fact that all the Muslim world looks up to Pakistan.

I'm proud of the fact that Pakistan is the member of world's top research organizations and is a major contributor to world's most cutting edge technologies.

I'm Proud of the fact that our Forces have helped develop Armed forces of many countries and by doing that they have contributed to world peace.

Dr Haq came up with the idea... and was the team leader... tht must be too hard for you to swallow..

Nowhere is it mentioned that he was the Team leader. UN also mentions that HDI was the concept of both of them. I wonder why you are denying credible evidence from the UN. Even if he was Amartya Sen was as important as Mr. Haq in the index's development as the UN clearly states.

Such pessimistic approach will not do any good for Pakistan. No country is perfect and you have to be positive in order to bring positive change. Pakistan is/was a new country and made great development in short period of time after creation in 1947 and was doing absolutely fine until 80/90 even after having few wars/conflicts with India. We had faced many challenges and conflicts throughout. Some of those happened because of our incompetent leadership while some caused by others. We are resilient nation and should never lose hope. Our media is already doing great job to bring despair and disappointment in minds of Pakistani people by feeding just negative new 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom