What's new

So, here's a thought (PAF and ANAF relations)

That Guy

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Canada
As we know, Afghanistan and Pakistan don't well like each other right now, but a thought just occurred to me.

I know this will never happen in a million years, but humor me. Since Pakistan is getting rid of it's aging fleet of Mirages and F-7s and replacing them with the JF-17s, and since Afghanistan doesn't have any fighters at all, why not donate a couple of mirages or F-7s to them (at least 2-3)? Pakistan lose nothing more than a few planes that we're trying to get rid of anyways, and gain more influence in Afghanstan. It's pretty much win-win, because even if the Afghans don't fly it, the gesture alone will be pretty effective at gaining support in Afghanistan. In turn, Afghanistan has a plane that it can use for bombing runs and air support (if they choose to operate them), which is an ability it lacks and relies mainly on foreign forces for, and makes Afghan forces less reliant on foreigners for help.

Wait till Taliban are in power in Afghanistan, then Pakistan can gift them with couple of squadrons.

Only 615 days to go now until January 1, 2015.

I WANT TO DONATE MY RC PLANE ITS AN ALL WEATHER RC PLANE BUT DONT HAVE THE BATTERY HOPE THEY WILL ARRANGE THE BATTERY WHEN I DONATE IT TO THEM.

Maybe we can have some air exercise with live weaponry, over his highness Karzai's quarters in Kabul.

Just a thought.

lol, I knew you guys would react this way, but think about it as if the war on terror is not a factor. What has Pakistan to really lose?

Wait till Taliban are in power in Afghanistan, then Pakistan can gift them with couple of squadrons.

never gonna happen, even if the Taliban come into power, they're not gonna forget Pakistan's role of helping the Americans keep up their occupation for over a dozen years.

lol, I knew you guys would react this way, but think about it as if the war on terror is not a factor. What has Pakistan to really lose?

with helping Afghanistan,Pakistan will loose its ambition to use it as a "Strategic depth"..thats one hell of a loss against merely friendship with a neighbour..

never gonna happen, even if the Taliban come into power, they're not gonna forget Pakistan's role of helping the Americans keep up their occupation for over a dozen years.

Naaahh..Taliban will remember about Pakistan's co-op during the last decade since when USA routed them out from Afghanistan and Pakistan provided a safe shelter and recruitment grounds inside Pakistan..thats a huge thing against "Pakistan's permission to pass Nato convoys through their land and their co-op with Nato forces"..

by the way,they are getting their A-29 Super Tucano from 2014..

Hopefully soon enough Afghan pilots will train in India...just like their officers!

cry? i see indians crying whenever Pak makes a defence purchase... the word suites u guys..

Say that to the ex-president, on TV complaining why Afghans are sending thier officer to train in india...

I'd like to detonate a few JDAMs on Karzai's balded head instead of donating F-7s.

Why waste JDAMs on him, do the way ahmed shah masood was blown.

No Thanks no more Taliban.

with helping Afghanistan,Pakistan will loose its ambition to use it as a "Strategic depth"..thats one hell of a loss against merely friendship with a neighbour..

Naaahh..Taliban will remember about Pakistan's co-op during the last decade since when USA routed them out from Afghanistan and Pakistan provided a safe shelter and recruitment grounds inside Pakistan..thats a huge thing against "Pakistan's permission to pass Nato convoys through their land and their co-op with Nato forces"..

by the way,they are getting their A-29 Super Tucano from 2014..

I'm going to ignore most of what you said, simply because I don't want to start a flame war, so I will go straight to the A-29 Super Tucano claim you made. Yes, it is going to go to the Afghans, but according to airforcetimes, they're only gonna get the first batch by 2015, not 2014 ( Super Tucano wins Afghan light air support bid | Air Force Times | airforcetimes.com ), NATO-US forces are leaving by the end of 2013 and middle of 2014, with only 10,000 troops in training and SpecOp roles. That means the Afghans will not have proper air-support for a period of at least a year, plus training and creation of proper maintenance facility fit for Afghan purposes. Even when the Afghans get this plane, it's a light trainer and lighter attack aircraft, not designed to carry more than JDAMS and SDBs in large enough numbers to make much of a difference, even a modernized F-7 can out perform it. Pakistan's "ROSE" Mirage would absolutely eclipse it in terms of performance.

The only draw back I see would be the Afghan government's reluctance of accepting it for financial reasons, as they probably wouldn't have enough money for maintenance costs.

Hopefully soon enough Afghan pilots will train in India...just like their officers!

No chance, more than likely, they'll train in the US. India is only training local security forces like the ALP/ANP.

Back
Top Bottom