Country
Pakistan
Slain Pakistani-American soldier's father says his travel rights under review
By Reuters
Published: March 7, 2017
4SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1348263-download-1488864920-905-640x480.jpg

Gold-Star father Khizr Khan, father of US Army Captain Humayun Khan who was killed in 2004 in Iraq, puts his hand to his heart as he takes part in a discussion panel on the Muslim and refugee ban in the U.S. Capitol in Washington February 2, 2017. PHOTO: REUTERS

The father of an American soldier killed in Iraq who came under criticism last year from then-candidate Donald Trump said he has canceled a speaking engagement in Toronto after being notified that his US travel privileges were under review.

Khizr Khan, an American citizen born in Pakistan, said he had not been given a reason as to why his travel privileges were being reviewed. He did not say what kind of review he was subject to, which US agency ordered it or who told him of the change.

“This turn of events is not just of deep concern to me but to all my fellow Americans who cherish our freedom to travel abroad,” Khan said in a statement issued by the engagement organizer on Monday. “I am grateful for your support and look forward to visiting Toronto in the near future.”

New Trump travel order remains a Muslim ban: US rights groups

Khan had planned to speak at a luncheon in Toronto on Tuesday in a discussion about President Trump’s administration, according to Ramsay Talks, a Toronto-based speaker series hosted by Bob Ramsay.

Khan declined to comment further in an email exchange with Reuters.

The organization said in the same statement that Khan, a US citizen for over 30 years, was notified Sunday evening that his travel privileges were being reviewed.

“Mr Khan will not be traveling to Toronto on March 7th to speak about tolerance, understanding, unity and the rule of law,” said Ramsay Talks, which announced guests would be refunded the ticket price of C$89.

US Customs & Border Protection said it does not contact travelers in advance of their travel out of the United States, according to an official who said any US citizen with a passport may travel out of the country. CBP would not comment specifically on the Khan case, citing privacy protections.

Patrick Stewart wants US citizenship to fight Donald Trump

Jeff Khurgel, an attorney at the Khurgel Immigration Law Firm in Irvine, California, said there is no valid reason under US immigration law that would keep naturalized US citizens from having the same travel rights and privileges as a natural born US citizen.

“Theoretically, if the government had any criminal information on any US citizen they have a right to question them under law, but it would be very rare to revoke their travel privileges unless they have been charged with a crime,” Khurgel said.

Trump signed a revised executive order on Monday banning citizens from six Muslim-majority nations from traveling to the United States, but Pakistan is not one of those countries and the ban does not apply to US citizens or legal permanent US residents.

Khan and his wife, Ghazala Khan, appeared at the Democratic National Convention in support of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and shared the story of their son, US Army Captain Humayun Khan, who was killed during the Iraq war.

He also criticized Trump’s proposal during the election campaign for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States.

Trump signs new travel ban targeting six Muslim nations

During his speech, Khan asked Trump if he had ever read the US Constitution and said that he would gladly lend him his copy. He urged Trump to “look for the words liberty and equal protection of law” in the document.

Trump responded by questioning whether Clinton’s aides scripted Khan’s speech and questioned whether Ghazala Khan was allowed to speak.

Khan and Trump went on to exchange further criticism, dominating the presidential campaign for several days over the summer.

The organization said in the same statement that Khan, a US citizen for over 30 years, was notified Sunday evening that his travel privileges were being reviewed.

Notified how and by whom? Without proof, this claim is dubious from a legal standpoint.

Mr. Khan should make public the basis of his claim so that it can be evaluated.

So it is necessary to make everything as public to be evaluated as after all, the news points out about what happened and if did not, authority should rebut the same by counter statement and providing proof.

So it is necessary to make everything as public to be evaluated as after all, the news points out about what happened and if did not, authority should rebut the same by counter statement and providing proof.

What he has claimed makes no sense at all. Any US citizen is free to leave the country anytime he or she wishes to do so, as it is up to the destination country to make the decision whether to allow them in or not. CBP cannot deny any US citizen entry into the country either. By law.

Uncle Sargam look alike should remember the most apt metopher in Punjabi. Zinda Bhaag!
If I was him I would have booked my return flight to Pakistan the day after the election. I am sure talk show fees could have kept him solvent for ages. Uncle Sargam will soon be on his way to some "secure facility" if he keeps annoying the Donald.

What he has claimed makes no sense at all. Any US citizen is free to leave the country anytime he or she wishes to do so, as it is up to the destination country to make the decision whether to allow them in or not. CBP cannot deny any US citizen entry into the country either. By law.

This is what appears to be but no official yet rebutted what Khan says as he is a citizen so how do you think that isn't aware of any law and will lie as such.

This is what appears to be but no official yet rebutted what Khan says as he is a citizen so how do you think that isn't aware of any law and will lie as such.

No official can rebut what is a claim that defies the law. I am sure there must be some basis to his claim, but until that is made known, nothing more can be evaluated.

Then the claim is not yet dubious though we can say, needs more details.

I suspect he may have enjoyed privileged access to cross the border without checking under one of the many NEXUS/GlobalEntry/TSA programs and those privileges may be under review as they are granted for 5 years at a time and subject to revocation at any time. But that is only my guess. However, he can still travel freely back and forth using the regular process for all other US citizens by law.

why dont you make a trip to Pakistan and find out :)

Well he does have a point. Is he supposed to live in an airport for the rest of his life as a man with no country? They have to let him in.

Well he does have a point. Is he supposed to live in an airport for the rest of his life as a man with no country? They have to let him in.

I don't think so that Mr. Khan will accuse his country without any point or reason however, it is a fact that he was seen with Hillary Clinton during last campaign and spoke in favour too.

Back
Top Bottom