What's new

Skidmarks on China’s aircraft carrier?

mosu

Reaction score
skidmarks-490x364.jpg

Fascinating question posed by former Defense Tech editor John Reed who now directs the Killer Apps blog for Foreign Policy: Who left the skidmarks on China’s brand new aircraft carrier?
The pictures the Chinese government has leaked out from the commissioning ceremony for the the Liaoning aircraft carrier leaves plenty to be determined, namely the origin of those skidmarks. The Chinese have supposedly not yet completed development of their carrier jet, the J-15.
Mockups of the fighter show up on the deck of the carrier and pictures, but reports indicated the J-15 and its pilots still has to make considerable progress before it can start landing successfully on the Liaoning.
As Reed points out, the skidmarks could very well just Chinese sailors driving a tractor on deck and slamming the breaks to provide the intended look. But if not, what could it be?

trying to prove that J-15s landed on it ? I am not buying it !!

I think they did alot of "touch-and-go" training while the carrier was out at sea last time. As of now we still don't have confirmation whether a fixed wing aircraft landed or not, thus the point of contention. Either way, I suspect we'll find out in a month or so.

you can also drive a car / jeep over the runway and will still look like that

well nothing wrong to make mistakes while learning new things..

Before a pilot is qualified to land on deck they have to learn touch and go. Touch and go is important because if an aircraft miss all the four wires then the pilot will have to pull up and overfly the deck. It is a matter of death/swimming in cold water or being alive flying for second attempt to land.

Obviously touch and go tests had been done many months ago (spring or summer this year judging the weather in the photo) and actual deck landing shall follow on a pre-planned schedule, possibly on the current sea trial or already been done in some previous sea trials. And for those demanding photo proof, PLAN will decide the time when they deem it is appropriate to release them, they don't have to answer to anyone in internet forums.

I see the J-15 made it's mark in History :)

A Fighter with ASEA radar and ISRT is a powerful assert for any Blue water navy..

Before a pilot is qualified to land on deck they have to learn touch and go. Touch and go is important because if an aircraft miss all the four wires then the pilot will have to pull up and overfly the deck. It is a matter of death/swimming in cold water or being alive flying for second attempt to land.

Obviously touch and go tests had been done many months ago (spring or summer this year judging the weather in the photo) and actual deck landing shall follow on a pre-planned schedule, possibly on the current sea trial or already been done in some previous sea trials. And for those demanding photo proof, PLAN will decide the time when they deem it is appropriate to release them, they don't have to answer to anyone in internet forums.

From what I gathered in different forums the skid marks were collected on the 6th sea trial and there were many simulated takeoffs and landings with identical decks in various locations. You hit right on the nail with your bold part that the PLA is also very cautious and will not boast until they get it 100%.

So..let me get this straight; the PLANAF is having a touch and go training session to get the pilots accustomed?

I mean seriously? Is this a thing to be hyped about?

I really don't understand why Communist countries are so fearful of being open? Hiding makes it difficult to predict; not impossible.

Looks like skid marks to me even if they are not no harm in wishing them luck.:tup:

Back
Top Bottom