What's new

Singh's Government Losing Popularity on Corruption Allegations, Poll Shows

idune

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Singh's Government Losing Popularity on Corruption Allegations, Poll Shows

By Bibhudatta Pradhan - Jan 7, 2011 Claims of corruption have cut support for India’s Congress party-led government and tarnished the image of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, an opinion poll conducted by the India Today magazine said.

If an election were held now, the ruling coalition may win about 42 seats fewer than the 259 it garnered in April and May, 2009, according to the “Mood of the Nation Poll” conducted by the magazine and AC Nielsen. Congress, which currently has 206 members in the lower house of parliament, would be stripped of about 40 seats.

Singh’s government is fending off calls from the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party for a cross-party probe into an auditor’s report that said the award of mobile-phone licenses in 2008 at below-market prices may have cost the state $31 billion. The row led to the resignation of the minister concerned and stalled parliament’s winter session in November and December.

The popularity of Congress President Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul Gandhi has fallen, India Today reported in its latest issue, citing the poll results. In a list of “ideal candidates” for the post of prime minister, Sonia ranks fifth with just 8 percent of votes, down from 13 percent in August; Rahul leads the pack with 20 percent, from 29 percent. Around 50 percent of respondents feel he is ready to run the country, which the magazine calls his “destined role.”

The survey found that 43 percent of people who took part said Sonia Gandhi’s image had been affected by allegations of graft surrounding the government.

While the BJP-led opposition alliance may be cheered by findings that it would add 20 seats to the 159 it won last year if Indian’s were asked to vote again, the magazine says the party’s current leaders trail their Congress counterparts when people were asked who is best suited to lead the country. The magazine said that 73 percent of respondents didn’t know the name of the opposition leader and Congress remains the preferred party of governance.

The survey was conducted across 19 states from Dec. 4-19 and 12,349 voters took part in 98 of India’s parliamentary constituencies. No margin of error was given.

Singh's Government Losing Popularity on Corruption Allegations, Poll Shows - Bloomberg

Dnt wary at the time of election they fix every thing and Indians again forget every thing

This is the worse reality of India and Indians

Indians can vote only for name and family (Gandhi) it doesn't matter for us (except 4-5 % people ) what government did :tdown:

There is hardly any chance for Congress to be in power again after it's term is over.
Inflation mainly the reason and the bad impression due to corruption.

BJP will be in power soon!

screw both congress , bjp.......

i don't think bjp will fare better than congress if it came to power...

common man suffers.

Good im sick of congress and Italian Sonia gandhi!!

Hope BJP win nxt election

If BJP will come in power the country will be run by sangh. they'll make someone like Narendra Modi a pm. Do we really want that? I'm gujarati myself and I know he has done great job in gujarat and all that but for central he's not good. I still want UPA to get re-elected. And by that time even rahul would have grown up and won't make any childish statements. :)

Yes we do want Modi the only man who came to Mumbai on the day of 26/11 while Congress and Shiv sena cowards were hiding in their houses.

Yes we want Modi as all the top companies like Reliance, Tata and the UK, USA hindu population is behind you Sir we will make sure you rule Gujarat for nxt 20 yrs minimum

Yes we want Modi the only leader to make India developed just witness his plans like GIFT city and why Tata Nano now in Gujarat?

If BJP will come in power the country will be run by sangh. they'll make someone like Narendra Modi a pm. Do we really want that? I'm gujarati myself and I know he has done great job in gujarat and all that but for central he's not good. I still want UPA to get re-elected. And by that time even rahul would have grown up and won't make any childish statements. :)

i also agree that there is no chance for BJP because they dont have any convincing leader to offer.

but i would any day prefer Narendra modi over Rahul gandhi as a P.M.
only thing that narendra modi needs is little more secularism, otherwise he is great leader but as a ruling party i dont see anyone else impressive in BJP. so its gonna be UPA once again unless some thing huge strikes them.

i also agree that there is no chance for BJP because they dont have any convincing leader to offer.

but i would any day prefer Narendra modi over Rahul gandhi as a P.M.
only thing that narendra modi needs is little more secularism, otherwise he is great leader but as a ruling party i dont see anyone else impressive in BJP. so its gonna be UPA once again unless some thing huge strikes them.

Dnt wary about leader...... congress will put Rahul in lead for next election so its Modi against Rahul ........... now its upto you

Prefer Varun gandhi my friend from London God bless you Sir we in UK support BJP all the way

Dnt wary about leader...... congress will put Rahul in lead for next election so its Modi against Rahul ........... now its upto you

i know and i want modi with little secular flavor but i m scared that they dont have any good supportive leaders in BJP.

Give credit to Varun Gandhi i know him well from his time at SOAS university he made a mistake but that was exploited by congress at the time of election this young chap will be going places mark my words.

Back
Top Bottom