What's new

Singapore Prime Minister Encourages U.S. Role in Asia

VALKRYIE

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Singapore Prime Minister Encourages U.S. Role in AsiaLee Hsien Loong says U.S. forces ‘a key factor for peace and stability in the region
BN-IQ824_0529si_P_20150529104607.jpg

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong delivers his opening address at the Shangri-La Dialogue 2015 in Singapore. PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

By

TREFOR MOSS
May 29, 2015 11:22 a.m. ET

SINGAPORE—Singaporean Prime MinisterLee Hsien Loong made the case for a sustained U.S. military presence in the Asia-Pacific region on Friday, saying American forces were “a key factor for peace and stability in the region.”

With tensions rising in Asia over Chinese efforts to build a series of artificial islandsin the South China Sea, Mr. Lee said the U.S. plays a “benign role” in Asia, and only involved itself in regional affairs with the aim of promoting Asia-Pacific stability.

His words, at the opening of an annual security summit in Singapore, amounted to a small public relations victory for the U.S. at a time when Beijing is seeking to cast Washington as a divisive force in the region. Although Singapore has long maintained close ties with Washington, like many countries in the area it also relies heavily on commercial ties to China, and generally seeks to avoid taking sides in conflicts between the two larger powers.

Mr. Lee’s speech opened the Shangri-La Dialogue, which is attended by senior military officials from across the U.S. and Asia, including China. The event has taken on more importance than usual because of the deepening dispute over the South China Sea islands, which are in areas also claimed by countries including the Philippines and Vietnam that want to see an expanded U.S. military presence.

China criticized “external countries…busy meddling in South China Sea affairs”—an apparent reference to the U.S.—in a newly-released white paper, and has warned rival claimants against “provocative actions” in waters which China claims as sovereign territory.

The U.S. has said it will stand up for freedom of navigation in the South China Sea. U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in Hawaii earlier this week that “the United States will fly, sail and operate wherever international law allows, as we do all around the world,” and would defy any Chinese orders to stay out of certain areas of the disputed South China Sea.

On Friday, U.S. officials revealed thatAmerican surveillance had discovered artillery on one of the islands which China is constructing, further raising the stakes at this weekend’s summit.

Singapore Prime Minister Encourages U.S. Role in Asia - WSJ

I thought Singapore was Pro China since the majority are Chinese. Well at least their on the the winning side the US, Philippines, Japan and Vietnam.:smitten:

Last edited:

I thought Singapore was Pro China since the majority are Chinese. Well at least their on the the winning side the US, Philippines, Japan and Vietnam.:smitten:

There is this Tiger guy even advocating building Kra Canal to screw us. He claims that all PRC forumer against Singapore.

So no choice, we need to find other ally although we already try our best sucking up PRC.

:D

Say whatever you want to say but we are having a good life here enjoying ourselves. :partay:

Considering that the GDP per capita of Singaporeans is around $65,000 (USD) a year, sure, that's so true !!

:)

Excellent !

Also, i should mention that the Japanese Navy (JMSDF) is developing solid contact and naval relationship with the Singaporean Navy. In fact, Japan invites Singaporean frigates into our naval base in Djibouti recently -- and extended joint patrols.

dsc_0549.jpg

Rear Admiral Giam Hock Soon, Commander of CTF-151, speaks with Japanese Captain
Akira Katoh during a visit to the P3 DAPE headquarters in Djibouti

radmgiamp3.jpg

The commander of Combined Task Force 151 has met with members of a Japanese Aerial Surveillance unit in Djibouti recently, and praised their efforts combating piracy in the Gulf of Aden.

Say whatever you want to say but we are having a good life here enjoying ourselves. :partay:
you can account the days of your good life now. if there is a war in SCS, you are the first one to be destroyed as you hold a US base. even not, we will dig a canal to weaken you. from withing your increasing indian immigrants can further transform you into a shithole.

you can account the days of your good life now. if there is a war in SCS, you are the first one to be destroyed as you hold a US base. even not, we will dig a canal to weaken you. from withing your increasing indian immigrants can further transform you into a shithole.

Oh no... I do not want war. I always preach good and I want peace.

Get lost you scum of Chinese race.

In order to destroy Singapore, it would require an enemy naval fleet to survive its traverse to the Straits of Malaccas.

:)

US_Navy_111104-N-DS193-049_The_Japan_Maritime_Self-Defense_Force_guided-missile_destroyer_JDS_Atago_%28DDG_177%29_transits_in_formation_with_U.S._Navy.jpg

120621-N-TG831-352.jpg

Oh no... I do not want war. I always preach good and I want peace.

Get lost you scum of Chinese race.
you don't want? is it you have the say? no, your american daddy will impose that on you and you have to take it. there is a price to pay by being white's lackey.

you don't want? it is you have the say? no, your american daddy will impose that on you and you have to take it. there is a price to pay by being white's lackey.

Oh I am very scare. Fortunately, you do not represent most China people who love peace and are good. :rofl:

Oh I am very scare. Fortunately, you do not represent most China people who love peace and are good.
believe me, most chinese despise your tiny nation and Lee danasty, go to our domestic forum to check for yourself.

believe me, most chinese despise your tiny nation and Lee danasty, go to our domestic forum to check for yourself.

I believe.... haha.... just like they hate USA and send their kids to USA... There is even one piece of shit tiger here who holed up in Canada keep attacking white man....

I believe.

:laugh:

I believe.... haha.... just like they hate USA and send their kids to USA... There is even one piece of shit tiger here who holed up in Canada keep attacking white man....

I believe.

:laugh:
wow, sending to USA is the best patriotic leason people could learn and most of them ending up hating US like me. only a bunch of never visiting US people in china still hold delusion for that eivil country.

what do we expect a banana person like you could understand?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom