What's new

Singapore, Indonesia in row over marines dressed as bombers

manlion

Reaction score
Singapore, Indonesia in row over marines dressed as bombers | The Jakarta Post

pc_600x450.jpg

A fresh diplomatic row has erupted between Singapore and Indonesia over a 1965 bombing in the city-state, after the Indonesian navy dressed two marines as the perpetrators at a defence exhibition.

Singapore is "concerned and disappointed" after the two men appeared at the event in Jakarta this week dressed as Indonesian marines Usman Haji Mohamed Ali and Harun Said, who were executed for the bombing, the foreign ministry said in a statement late Thursday.

A hit with visitors

He added that when the navy designed the booth, they were not aware that Singapore would be attending the conference.

Singapore said a delegation from its armed forces had pulled out of the Jakarta International Defence Dialogue (JIDD) exhibition on Wednesday after learning of the stunt, while diplomats from its embassy in Jakarta have spoken with officials there "to express disappointment".

The two marines had been stationed at the navy's stall at the JIDD dressed in vintage uniforms and purple berets, with "Usman" and "Harun" on their name tags.

Navy spokesman Suropati said the "Usman" and "Harun" models proved to be a hit.

"We gathered up the most beautiful female navy officers for our booth but, unbelievably, visitors were more attracted to Usman and Harun," he said.

"Their faces were not even that handsome but visitors wanted to take pictures with them."
He said the navy had initially wanted to order mannequins made from wood or fiberglass to represent the two marines but a sample of the face was "too feminine".

Indonesia had already outraged Singapore last month by naming a newly refurbished navy frigate "Usman Harun" in honour of the marines. The ship has been banned from Singaporean ports and naval bases.

Oh, I don't know that the name "Usman" and "Harun" belong only to the Marines who took part in the bombing 49 years ago.
I guess I should start telling my cousin to change his name to "Usman1990" and "Harun123" before he goes to Singapore for holiday. That way he won't be mistaken as a bomber when he goes shopping in Orchard road. :agree:

Yup, it is a political sign........it means Singapore never learn its mistake in helping Australia's tapping on us. Next President can be more aggressive... No more gas for Singapore next time. I hope next administration starts making additional oil refinery, so we don't have to import from Singapore anymore.

Yup, it is a political sign........it means Singapore never learn its mistake in helping Australia's tapping on us. Next President can be more aggressive... No more gas for Singapore next time. I hope next administration starts making additional oil refinery, so we don't have to import from Singapore anymore.
I wonder why you are keen to anger Singapore? Do you have any proof that Singapore helped Australia in the spy affair?

economic sanction is a two sided sword. It would hurt Indonesia, too.

by the way, how have you become with 313 posts pdf think tank analyst?

I wonder why you are keen to anger Singapore? Do you have any proof that Singapore helped Australia in the spy affair?

by the way, how have you become with 313 posts pdf think tank analyst?

Singapore keep many of our corrupt criminals...they never want to sign any extradition treaty with us without huge ransom for them. It hurts many young Indonesian feeling like me. The latest corruption in our oil and gas sector is also made by Singaporean company. One argumentation of why we never make additional oil refinery is the bribery made by their companies toward our corrupt elite, so we keep importing oil from them that hearts our currency. The thing that they should consider is the possibility of revenge from young generation leader in the future that likely to happen within 6-10 years from now. They should change their behavior now before too late. Indonesia priority is its own dignity, as a big country we have so many friends, and in the end of this year we will have a new Tanjung Priok port that can handle very large container ships, insyaALLAH. It means Singapore port is not really important anymore.

Talking about my post and my new rank ... :D Actually I get surprised that they elected me ... :partay:. But there is one Turkish new TTA that only has 100's something post, he seems to contribute well in a Turkish military section and understand well about military stuff. And the rank is not taken because of how many post and thanks we got, they seems to just see the pattern of our post to evaluate us.

Last edited:

Singapore is the closest ally the so called five eyes could dig out of this region, the question should be "does singapore have any prove to deny its role in helping the five eyes?"

Look, the core problem is not only because this spying business.
Singapore has been insulting Indonesia when it was weak due to economic crisis since 1998-2004 more than what Indonesia has done to Singapore (if you wanted to bring that bombing case up, keep it mind that at that time, there was no "singapore"). They harbored Indonesians criminals, they rejected our plea to freeze their bank accounts, while Malaysia and other neighboring countries agreed to help Indonesia in fighting corruption and rebuild its economy.

Why should they butthurt? it is just a payback. Ain't Karma a bitch?

Couldn't agree more, but this time, it would be totally different.

Singapore is the closest ally the so called five eyes could dig out of this region, the question should be "does singapore have any prove to deny its role in helping the five eyes?"

Look, the core problem is not only because this spying business.
Singapore has been insulting Indonesia when it was weak due to economic crisis since 1998-2004 more than what Indonesia has done to Singapore (if you wanted to bring that bombing case up, keep it mind that at that time, there was no "singapore"). They harbored Indonesians criminals, they rejected our plea to freeze their bank accounts, while Malaysia and other neighboring countries agreed to help Indonesia in fighting corruption and rebuild its economy.

Why should they butthurt? it is just a payback. Ain't Karma a bitch?

Couldn't agree more, but this time, it would be totally different.
I wonder if you mean serious with economic sanction. What sticks do you have to hurt Singapore economy?

one is to stop importing oil products as Indos suggests, but how long would it take until Indonesia has built sufficient reffineries?

I wonder if you mean serious with economic sanction. What sticks do you have to hurt Singapore economy?

Does gas, water, and electricity counts? Of course Singapore will be more than welcomed to buy gas and electricity from else where, but are they ready for a price hike? Indonesia and Malaysia are the closest source of energy and water Singapore could get, Singapore's attitude towards Malaysia is not better than it towards Indonesia.

Keep it in mind that Indonesia is the 4th biggest economic partner of Singapore. And we are not talking about service sectors yet.

one is to stop importing oil products as Indos suggests, but how long would it take until Indonesia has built sufficient reffineries?

Indonesia is now one of the biggest oil importers, both refined and crude, upstream alone has more than 50-80% profit margin, oil business in Indonesia is getting hot. But don't worry, Indonesia has secured a deal with Iran and other OPEC members for its oil supply for another 20 years and also invited Iran, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to build refineries in Indonesia. By 2018, Indonesia will have additional 900.000 bpd, that way, we can say bye bye to Singapore's oil.

Does gas, water, and electricity counts? Of course Singapore will be more than welcomed to buy gas and electricity from else where, but are they ready for a price hike? Indonesia and Malaysia are the closest source of energy and water Singapore could get, Singapore's attitude towards Malaysia is not better than it towards Indonesia.

Keep it in mind that Indonesia is the 4th biggest economic partner of Singapore. And we are not talking about service sectors yet.

Indonesia is now one of the biggest oil importers, both refined and crude, upstream alone has more than 50-80% profit margin, oil business in Indonesia is getting hot. But don't worry, Indonesia has secured a deal with Iran and other OPEC members for its oil supply for another 20 years and also invited Iran, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to build refineries in Indonesia. By 2018, Indonesia will have additional 900.000 bpd, that way, we can say bye bye to Singapore's oil.
Singapore is one of most globalised countries in the world. it has an very advanced economy, they can buy any stuffs from other countries, with their deep pockets. They would suffer, but Indonesia would be hurt more if you resort to trade sanctions.

Prosperity comes from more trades not less.

Singapore is one of most globalised countries in the world. it has an very advanced economy, they can buy any stuffs from other countries, with their deep pockets.

That is true, but i am not talking about that, I am talking about how Singapore would manage its prices. They can buy baby oil from mars for all I care. And nowaday's Singaporean economy is not that "safe", an increase of prices could lead to another increase of debt as the country should close the gap between prices. And Singapore is now more volatile than Indonesia in terms of debt management.

debt1.png
10s87ds.png

Anyway, Singapore's economy (bzw. currency) has been stable because it played the neighboring countries monetary exchange rate through for decades, now that Indonesia has forced Singapore to use IDR JISDOR, I can sleep at night.

They would suffer, but Indonesia would be hurt more if you resort to trade sanctions. Prosperity comes from more trades not less.

Please elaborate your claim, what sticks does Singapore have to hurt Indonesia's nowaday's economy? It hurts, but more like tickles. It is not 1998 anymore, yes Indonesia has been relying on Singapore for financial services and much of machineries for decades because Indonesia was focusing more on Agriculture before 1998, pretty much like nowaday's Vietnam. But since economic reforms, Indonesia turned its economy into an industry and service based economy, which lead to a great decrease on foreign reliance in terms of Industry and finance, especially from Singapore.

And more insults will come from Indonesia too :lol:

indo-gdp-breakdown-pie-graph.jpg

Singapore indeed prosper by harboring Indonesian tycoon criminals who often hoard large amount of monies here. This matter is giving a mix feeling to the status quo in Indonesia. On one hand, the status quo in Indonesia is also using Singapore's financial services, and hope that in future, if something go wrong, they may be able to hole up in Singapore.

On the other hand, they are angry that Singapore is harboring Indonesian who have fallen from favor.

That is true, but i am not talking about that, I am talking about how Singapore would manage its prices. They can buy baby oil from mars for all I care. And nowaday's Singaporean economy is not that "safe", an increase of prices could lead to another increase of debt as the country should close the gap between prices. And Singapore is now more volatile than Indonesia in terms of debt management.

debt1.png
10s87ds.png

Anyway, Singapore's economy (bzw. currency) has been stable because it played the neighboring countries monetary exchange rate through for decades, now that Indonesia has forced Singapore to use IDR JISDOR, I can sleep at night.

Please elaborate your claim, what sticks does Singapore have to hurt Indonesia's nowaday's economy? It hurts, but more like tickles. It is not 1998 anymore, yes Indonesia has been relying on Singapore for financial services and much of machineries for decades because Indonesia was focusing more on Agriculture before 1998, pretty much like nowaday's Vietnam. But since economic reforms, Indonesia turned its economy into an industry and service based economy, which lead to a great decrease on foreign reliance in terms of Industry and finance, especially from Singapore.

at certain points i agree with you, but i think Indonesia and Singapore who actually must get back their feet together, a lot of issues in ASEAN need their cooperation, and this row is actually not needed and not welcomed by any means, not in the time when the Chinese shadow has lurking in South Chinese Sea

Singapore has denied the allegation but still Indonesia needs to be mindful when dealing with Singapore

Singapore is one of most globalised countries in the world. it has an very advanced economy, they can buy any stuffs from other countries, with their deep pockets. They would suffer, but Indonesia would be hurt more if you resort to trade sanctions..

Singapore can go on a global shopping till bankruptcy

Temasek Portfolio Lost $39.91 Billion - WSJ.com

Last edited:

debt1.png
10s87ds.png

Singapore has a big purchasing power. If you stop selling gas, water, and electricity or commodities to Singapore, Indonesia would lose revenues, and hence your jobs in these industries would take a hit.

Sure, Singapore would take a hit, too, as it is forced to look for alternatives elsewhere. They might pay a higher prices, but considering their high incomes, they can afford this premium. In the long term, Singapore would develop strategies to replace imports. For instance, today Singapore is very advanced in the water technology, maximizing water recyling, building up water resources, winning fresh water from the sea.

Singapore indeed prosper by harboring Indonesian tycoon criminals who often hoard large amount of monies here. This matter is giving a mix feeling to the status quo in Indonesia. On one hand, the status quo in Indonesia is also using Singapore's financial services, and hope that in future, if something go wrong, they may be able to hole up in Singapore.

On the other hand, they are angry that Singapore is harboring Indonesian who have fallen from favor.
in this regard, Singapore is like Switzerland. Both take money. And money itself has no morality.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom