What's new

Sikh leader asked to remove turban in Rome: India calls Italian envoy

Burkha women are not asked to remove Burkha privately, they have to do it in front of everyone.

Remove Burkha in front of everyone or remove the niqab to show the face ? If you say remove Burka, then show proof.

Yes there is a difference- the kind bhajji or Monty Panesar wear are for practical reasons ie playing sports or serving in the military. The "full" turban is for everyday use.

You are a sikh right? Do you wear a turban also? I have noticed the younger generation of sikhs have started abandoning the Turban especially here in the states. I have met many sikhs around my age and only one of them wore a turban. Is this a growing trend?

Sikhs have always considered that they will never bow to anyone and thus will never remove their turban when asked to by anyone. However this is all about context and the case is that Turban is linked to Sikh identity in the sense it is very much an overt display of their religion and, in the past one hasn't been kindly ask to remove a turban for security checks but for forced conversion. So Sikhs have made a point about not removing their turbans for any man or women.

HOWEVER context is key and there is no way 99% of Sikhs have any issue with removing their turban on security grounds momentarily if they are allowed to do so in a private room/location.

I don't see this as a Sikh issue but rather just another example of the out of control VIP culture in India wherein VIPs think they are above all these sort of things. We have seen the outcry in the past in India over similar frisking/security checks performed on Indian "VIPs" specifically in the US with the likes of former president Kalam, SRK and India's ambassador to the UN (also a Sikh). For some reason Indian society is not at the point where it sees these security checks as absolutely necessary for everyone where no man women or child is above the protocals.

I don't think 99% Sikhs will agree to remove turbans, not at all. Turban is identity of Singhs and there is no bigger insult to Sikhs than asking them to their Turbans. A pooran gursikh can never allow you to remove his neck, but not turban. Yes, if there is a specific information of security threat, you can easily pursue them to remove their turban in a room but not by dictation.

I don't think 99% Sikhs will agree to remove turbans, not at all. Turban is identity of Singhs and there is no bigger insult to Sikhs than asking them to their Turbans. A pooran gursikh can never allow you to remove his neck, but not turban. Yes, if there is a specific information of security threat, you can easily pursue them to remove their turban in a room but not by dictation.

I'm purely saying 99% of Sikhs will remove their Turbans if it is for SECURITY checks. The matter of pride is a separate issue IMHO, that is borne out of the religious persecution of Sikhs and attempt to forcibly convert them by the Mughals. I don't think many Sikhs would equate being asked by a security guard to remove their turban momentarily in a separate area to the demand to remove their turbans by the Mughals.

In India, there is a separate box for ladies... only gents are frisked in front of everyone.. not sure about face veil.

Not in western countries. Even when you go through the millimeter wave scanner which shows you without clothes, there may be a dude looking at a woman naked.

I'm purely saying 99% of Sikhs will remove their Turbans if it is for SECURITY checks. The matter of pride is a separate issue IMHO, that is borne out of the religious persecution of Sikhs and attempt to forcibly convert them by the Mughals. I don't think many Sikhs would equate being asked by a security guard to remove their turban momentarily in a separate area to the demand to remove their turbans by the Mughals.

Why separate area? Why should the airport have to make extra arrangements for Sikhs?

Just throwing some of the arguments I've heard against Muslims when the same was suggested.

Why separate area? Why should the airport have to make extra arrangements for Sikhs?

Just throwing some of the arguments I've heard against Muslims when the same was suggested.

Because a Sikh will not want to remove their turban in front of an audience- and why should they have to? It is a time consuming and awkward process to re-tie it so it makes sense to take them to a separate area.I've seen such sperate areas in the West for those needing further screening.

Burkha women are not asked to remove Burkha privately, they have to do it in front of everyone.

Don't compare apples with oranges.

Turban doesn't hide the face like a Burqa but that's hard for you to understand.Infact sometime it's not possible to recognize if there is a woman inside the Burqa.That's why perhaps some women may be asked to show the face so they know it matches the pic on passport for simple identification purpose.

So stop bringing your Burqa examples since it's not compared to the current thread.

Don't compare apples with oranges.

Turban doesn't hide the face like a Burqa but that's hard for you to understand.Infact sometime it's not possible to recognize if there is a woman inside the Burqa.That's why perhaps some women may be asked to show the face so they know it matches the pic on passport for simple identification purpose.

So stop bringing your Burqa examples since it's not compared to the current thread.

You can still hide an explosive under the Turban

It still conceals features that can be used to identify a person, like hair type.

I am not just talking about showing face. Showing face is mandatory at all airports including in Muslim countries, but head scarves have been taken off as well and in some case the entire Abaya.

You can still hide an explosive under the Turban

It still conceals features that can be used to identify a person, like hair type.

I am not just talking about showing face. Showing face is mandatory at all airports including in Muslim countries, but head scarves have been taken off as well and in some case the entire Abaya.

Instead of staying away in doing a foolish comparison you keeps taking it further.It shows you don't know the issue at all.

Hair type identification? :omghaha:

How many example can you show when a Sikh had explosive in his turban???

Instead of staying away in doing a foolish comparison you keeps taking it further.It shows you don't know the issue at all.

Hair type identification? :omghaha:

How many example can you show when a Sikh had explosive in his turban???

Can it be done or not?

It has more space than an Hijab scarf which is usually just one thin layer of cloth wrapped tightly around the hair.

Why force Muslim women to remove the scarf but not the Turban?

a lot of international airports like Heathrow and others have women officials (even some Muslim women) to check women travellers wearing hijab / niqab / burqa etc.

it's for the sake of security....and it's their laws.

i dont think checking a turban should be seen as insulting or derogatory...drugs, knives or even explosives can be hidden in them so why shouldn't security feel compelled to check them?

we're coming to an age where 3-D printers will be able to reproduce firearms (except the barrels) so a little extra checking, even if it means inconvenience, does not seem out of line

that isn't the case in most airports; unless you're talking about some tiny airstrip of an airport in rural Kentucky somewhere

even in Charles de Gaulle in France (a country where the adornment is banned) - transit passengers can opt to be screened in private in small rooms adjacent to the metal detectors

Can it be done or not?

It has more space than an Hijab scarf which is usually just one thin layer of cloth wrapped tightly around the hair.

Why force Muslim women to remove the scarf but not the Turban?

You doesn't seems to understand aren't you... you can't understand the basis of recognition of women/men and here with the same rant so wasteful time.:disagree:

Back
Top Bottom