What's new

Siachen was accepted as Indian Territory in 1949!

India unwilling to change stance on Siachen issue

NEW DELHI: Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony cautioned on Friday against expecting a breakthrough in the Siachen Glacier talks being held in Islamabad next week.

“Don’t expect dramatic announcement or decision there on an issue which is very very important for us, specially in the context of national security,” Mr Antony was quoted as saying on the sidelines of a public function here.

He did not spell out India’s proposed stand at the Monday-Tuesday talks between the two defence secretaries, but local reports said Mr Antony was apparently referring to Delhi’s demand for a proper authentication of current troop positions in Siachen by both the countries.

“Our stand is there and the defence secretary will explain the stand there,” Mr Antony said. He stressed that India has a `clear cut position’ on the Siachen issue.

“They (defence secretaries of both the sides) are going to have the discussion there. But we have already discussed this in detail. We have very clear cut position, since discussions are going to take place, I don’t want to reply it here,” he said.

Mr Antony’s comments appeared to dampen the hope offered by Pakistan’s High Commissioner Shahid Malik who was quoted as saying that both countries would benefit from demilitarisation in the world’s highest battlefield.

India’s Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) met on Thursday and reports said it was decided to stay with the country’s known position on the authentication of troops. India sees it as the first step towards the ultimate objective of demilitarisation.

India wants Pakistan to agree to authenticate the troop positions and demarcate the Actual Ground Position Line (AGPL) on the map before taking steps to demilitarise the Siachen. However, Pakistan has refused to do so.

Armies of both the countries are deployed there since 1984 and are observing ceasefire since 2003.

In a farewell interview to the United News of India, Mr Malik said there was a consensus in his country to resolve all outstanding issues with India.

Pakistan Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani talked of demilitarisation of Siachen when hevisited the glacier in the aftermath of burying alive of 139 Pakistani soldiers in an avalanche in April.

Mr Malik, who leaves India after five years of service here, said Kashmir and confidence-building measures among other issues will be on the agenda of foreign secretary level talks between the two countries to be held in New Delhi on June 29.

Indian Foreign Minister S.M. Krishna is expected to visit Islamabad next month and a breakthrough on Siachen and Sir Creek could facilitate a visit to Islamabad by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
India unwilling to change stance on Siachen issue | DAWN.COM

The strategic value of Siachin is its height, main source of the rive Indus and closeness to Aksai Chin and Saksgam Valley. If Pakistan occupies those heights it could be disastrous for Indian army and our strategy.

Who wrote this ? Are you typing under the influence ? :azn:

Do you have any idea what are you talking about and where ? :azn:

what do you mean by who wrote this? its an open fact.

If Siachin is so Inhospitable and of No strategic value, why don't your leader pull out Military from that region? Why would you wait for India and have secretary level talks in Islamabad. This sounds totally absurd. :P

Wow!!! You would ask that question , child. What is the purpose of Armies? To protect "frontiers". Pakistan Army is proudly doing its duty of protecting homeland's frontiers--by blocking the enemy on the top of a cold hell .. You go down , we go down. We aren't interested in militarizing that region..we are just defending Azad Kashmir.

And you are comparing 1:3 military positions in Siachin along with a full fledged India's Air base. Giving example of peak 5353 after getting thrown our from Kargil and Drass. haha What kind of logic you people use I do not understand this.:hitwall:

Uhhh what? couldn't understand your point. And that was my point dummy. Even if you "threw out" Pakistan of kargil sector , you FAILED to take back the HIGHEST point and hence giving a STRATEGIC ADVANTAGE to Pakistan Army. Our Artillery can DIRECTLY fire at your strategic supply lines and hence cut it. What can YOU do from Siachen? Jack sh!t :lol:

and I do not know what kind of strategic value you acquired after Kargil, except for a failed diplomacy. In return you gave us an excellent stock market, better motive to become offensive, make intel stronger,go for arms deal, etc etc...

We gave you an excellent stock market? C'mon...all the things you mentioned have nothing to do with Kargil ...Anyways , you are too dumb to comprehend complicated matters as such. I can see you circling around to Secur's posts....you are embarrassing yourself

Wow!!! You would ask that question , child. What is the purpose of Armies? To protect "frontiers". Pakistan Army is proudly doing its duty of protecting homeland's frontiers--by blocking the enemy on the top of a cold hell .. You go down , we go down. We aren't interested in militarizing that region..we are just defending Azad Kashmir.

Uhhh what? couldn't understand your point. And that was my point dummy. Even if you "threw out" Pakistan of kargil sector , you FAILED to take back the HIGHEST point and hence giving a STRATEGIC ADVANTAGE to Pakistan Army. Our Artillery can DIRECTLY fire at your strategic supply lines and hence cut it. What can YOU do from Siachen? Jack sh!t :lol:

We gave you an excellent stock market? C'mon...all the things you mentioned have nothing to do with Kargil ...Anyways , you are too dumb to comprehend complicated matters as such. I can see you circling around to Secur's posts....you are embarrassing yourself

I need not to talk about kargil, the result is clear, but Pakistan has showed what could be the consequences for trusting you and demilitarizing the peaks. If you do not know the facts about siachin and LOC then please read post number 82.

The strategic value of Siachin is its height, main source of the rive Indus and closeness to Aksai Chin and Saksgam Valley. If Pakistan occupies those heights it could be disastrous for Indian army and our strategy.

what do you mean by who wrote this? its an open fact.

Height is no strategic value in Siachin since you cant come down and fight , you can just defend yourself but from what ? :azn: ... Since when does the glacier became the main source for River Indus ? :lol: Enjoy the closeness whilst spending billions / year ! :rofl:

Well , since you only have a short term memory , I must remind you that you " deluded yourself " about Siachin being the main source for river Indus , when asked how , you switched to other dams in the region then asked " where did you mentioned Siachin " and you were enlightened ! :azn: ... Kid , do not debate on things which you have zero knowledge about ! ... You are only ridiculing yourself !

Your delusions and ignorance is becoming an open fact , I agree ! :lol:

Height is no strategic value in Siachin since you cant come down and fight , you can just defend yourself but from what ? :azn: ... Since when does the glacier became the main source for River Indus ? :lol: Enjoy the closeness whilst spending billions / year ! :rofl:

Well , since you only have a short term memory , I must remind you that you " deluded yourself " about Siachin being the main source for river Indus , when asked how , you switched to other dams in the region then asked " where did you mentioned Siachin " and you were enlightened ! :azn: ... Kid , do not debate on things which you have zero knowledge about ! ... You are only ridiculing yourself !

Your delusions and ignorance is becoming an open fact , I agree ! :lol:

You people can pull out if you want. We are not stopping you, and your leaders are not fool that they are proposing the LOC as in post number 82. There is some reason. Go and find it.

Orion you must explain to all these International and Indian sources , Why do they think Pakistan still administers 1/3rd of the Glacier ! :azn: Possibly , they know better than you ? We are no where near it but hey we still control one of its three major passes effectively checkmating the Indian positions :P
Secur bhai, unfortunately your so called 'International and Indian' sources consist of a law professor and a Pakistani blogger who haven't even seen Siachen on a goddamn map! Interestingly they have quoted from a common unknown source!! I think that a person who's physically been there for months is better informed about the extent of the Glacier.

Anyway, to put things in the correct perspective, check out the map below where the extent of the Siachen Glacier is clearly shown. How do you say that 1/3rd of Siachen is controlled by Pakistan? Pakistani troops are well West of the dotted line which is the Soltoro Ridge...

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Cheers! :smokin:

Exactly. Pakistan Army has 'check-mated' Indians. Indians sitting on the top spends WAY more money and takes MORE damage than Pakistani troops do (Check stats from 1984 to now) ... It is hard for India to maintain its forces there...they transport logistics through air while Pakistan Army has built networks of roads around that region .. So after all the fuss , fighting , expenditures , political drama etc etc ... Pakistan Army has locked Indian Army on the top and made them sit there in the freezing dead cold ...and that too...for NO reason at all because India has absolutely no strategic advantage of their positions ..:lol:

So why the whining? If you have check mated us, enjoy your "superior" positions & stop asking us to vacate our "inferior" positions. End of story!

Height is no strategic value in Siachin since you cant come down and fight , you can just defend yourself but from what ? :rofl:

Nobody climbs heights to get down on to the other side. India holds the heights to keep Pakistan out of Siachen which is why while there have been numerous attempts by Pakistan to take some of the posts, there has never been any attempt by India to come down. Saltoro separates Pakistan from Siachen, the heights enable the Indian army to keep the Pakistani army out.

Thanks for the map Orion, so Pakistan is NOT on Siachen glacier. Cool, no wonder the boss of pakistan is offering to ''compromise''.

Secur bhai, unfortunately your so called 'International and Indian' sources consist of a law professor and a Pakistani blogger who haven't even seen Siachen on a goddamn map! Interestingly they have quoted from a common unknown source!!

Anyway, to put things in the correct perspective, check out the map below where the extent of the Siachen Glacier is clearly shown. How do you say that 1/3rd of Siachen is controlled by Pakistan? Pakistani troops are well West of the dotted line which is the Soltoro Ridge...

Cheers! :smokin:

Well , didn't I quote one of your think tanks The Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS) ? :azn: ... I am not aware of any Pakistani blogger but every single Indian source I posted said the same thing ... India controls 2/3rd of the Siachin , the rest would of course be administered by Pakistan right ? I am sure that Siachin Glacier doesn't only consist of the main glacier but obviously glacial valleys and passes would be included in it ... Going by that logic , It isn't hard to deduce that Pakistan maintains presence on the glacier , even if it be on the lower region and mans one of the three major passes ... I do not think you even have control of the entire Saltoro Ridge ...

Conway Saddle , Alibrangsa , Chumik , Gyari , Goma and Gyong La are other well known parts of Siachin under Pakistani control ...

you cannot call Baltoro Glacier or Biafo glacier as Siachen Glacier. The word you are looking for is ' Siachen Muztagh' which is 60% with the China and 40% with India, but the Glacier starts within Indian control territory.

What Pakistan holds is Baltoro Muztagh that is in PÖK and Gyong La Pass doesn't include in Siachen glacier and meanwhile your post where Avalanche Happened is no where near to any glacier.

but your own defense guys call it glaciers .look indian map on situation

Siachen-Glacier-Map.jpg

Thanks for the map Orion, so Pakistan is NOT on Siachen glacier. Cool, no wonder the boss of pakistan is offering to ''compromise''.
yes but their artillery shells daily reach on your siachin glacier :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom