What's new

Should The Hagia Sofia become a Mosque?

Whats the background of the Hagia Sofia?

Apparently when I visited, the reason given by a Turkish student was it became a "Museum" was that there was a Truce between Christians, and the Ottomans that hte Hagia Sofia would not be used as a Religious site.

@Kaan @atatwolf

ps i dont feel like goggling

No.Ataturk decided to turn it into a museum in his bid to secularise Turkey.

Honestly,i don't care what happens to it...mosque,museum ,church.It was lost 550 years ago and my faith doesn't reside in an ancient building.It's up to turks,if you ask me,altough,honestly i find it a little bizzare to turn it again into a mosque after all this time.

It was a mosque for 500 years, who knows what possesed attaturk to turn it into a museum

it should be a mosque again

Doesn't matter what it is now.as long as there is a small room where tourists can pray.
It has a long history. People from all over the world can see it inside out.that's a bonus for non Muslims tourists visiting turkey.

Whats the background of the Hagia Sofia?

Apparently when I visited, the reason given by a Turkish student was it became a "Museum" was that there was a Truce between Christians, and the Ottomans that hte Hagia Sofia would not be used as a Religious site.

@Kaan @atatwolf

ps i dont feel like goggling
Turkey will remain secular country because even Erdogan is secular muslim. The reason why it was made a museum is that the "crusader days" should be over but unfortunately it is not over. The day Agia Sophia is made a mosque again we Turks can be proud again. For that day to come Turkey has to build up army and economy to be able to make that choice. It is still long way.

Turkey will remain secular country because even Erdogan is secular muslim. The reason why it was made a museum is that the "crusader days" should be over but unfortunately it is not over. The day Agia Sophia is made a mosque again we Turks can be proud again. For that day to come Turkey has to build up army and economy to be able to make that choice. It is still long way. By the way, I'm secular and not busy with religion.

Do you honestly think Turkey will be attacked if it's turned into a mosque ? o_O:what:

Turkey will remain secular country because even Erdogan is secular muslim. The reason why it was made a museum is that the "crusader days" should be over but unfortunately it is not over. The day Agia Sophia is made a mosque again we Turks can be proud again. For that day to come Turkey has to build up army and economy to be able to make that choice. It is still long way.

crussaders? whos the one not even native in the entire country your living in today? It belonged to greeks, armenians and kurds before you came from far east.

crussaders? whos the one not even native in the entire country your living in today? It belonged to greeks, armenians and kurds before you came from far east.
90% of your country is not yours either.

Do you honestly think Turkey will be attacked if it's turned into a mosque ? o_O:what:
It is more psychological. Brtish campaign in mid-east in ww1 was nothing short of crusade.

90% of your country is not yours either.
rus-1237.gif
Kievan-Rus'-11thcent.jpg

And Russians are native to Russia?
You ok?
I bet you dont even know where you came from.
Btw,Turks still giving you a hard time over there in Germany?

Oh come on,you were allied with Germany and Austria-Hungary and the muslim Arabs fought against you.What crusade? It was a real politik war.
To be true there were several world leaders who said that they waited for a chance to throw the Turks "back" to Asia where they belong (eventhough i never heard about a crusade)

Ok, then Russia should give independence to its republics.

My secular side says it should probably stay a museum. My Catholic side says that if it to be anything other than a museum, then it should be returned to the Patriarch of Constantinople and restored as the grand Christian church it was built as. I would love to attend Divine Liturgy there.

both+lungs.jpg
:angel:

Back
Top Bottom