What's new

Should Pakistan have an Integrated Special Operations Command?

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Keeping the COIN and Urban Warfare scene we currently face in mind, would it be effective to create an Integrated Special Operations Command (ISOC)?

I'm currently studying this subject for an upcoming article i will be writing on the need for such a command apparatus in Pakistan.

Pakistan is fortunate to have, higly skilled SOF apparatus with 4 mature SOF organizations which operate independantly.

I would be looking into, the role of Special Operations Command (SOCOM) as a case study.

Such a command structure woud, study
special operations requirements and techniques,
ensure interoperability and equipment
standardization, plan and conduct special operations exercises and training, and develop
joint special operations tactics.

All 4 SOF organizstions would have to be merged under a single command structure.

The article will also look into the points raised in this thread i posted some time ago.

Call for Pakistan Army, to raise a TIER-1 Special Operations Force. | Pakistan Defence

Please discuss the merits/demerits of such a command structure, its opetational effectiveness, costs, mission planning, eveluation, and if or not it will help us fight the new type of warfare more Please discuss the merits/demerits Please discuss the merits/demerits of such a command structure, its opetational effectiveness, costs, mission planning, eveluation, and if or not it will help us fight the new type of warfare more Please discuss the merits/demerits of such

Last edited:
I think with the help of Army , govt should make teams of counter terrorism including SSG , ISI , MI , and they should report their activities directly to Army Chief , and their task should be eliminating high Value target , but no ARREST

I think with the help of Army , govt should make teams of counter terrorism including SSG , ISI , MI , and they should report their activities directly to Army Chief , and their task should be eliminating high Value target , but no ARREST

Mate the Zarrar and ISI's, S-Wing and you have a force ready to take the battle to the enemy. I am one of those people who believe that the best way to kill the terrorists is to adopt THEIR tactics like setting up ambushes, shock attacks as well as killing the very top leadership so frequently that they can't have time to muster. Burraq can help us a lot in that way, however we do need a true MALE UCAV that can go anywhere in Pakistan, carry variable ordnance and can fly up to 30 hours +, i.e Wing Loon.

Mate the Zarrar and ISI's, S-Wing and you have a force ready to take the battle to the enemy. I am one of those people who believe that the best way to kill the terrorists is to adopt THEIR tactics like setting up ambushes, shock attacks as well as killing the very top leadership so frequently that they can't have time to muster. Burraq can help us a lot in that way, however we do need a true MALE UCAV that can go anywhere in Pakistan, carry variable ordnance and can fly up to 30 hours +, i.e Wing Loon.

well i agree with you , but what i mean here to make a team who will operate in cities and hunt them down ..CID and MI and ISI agents can locate the target with help of informers and than initiate with well trained SSGs but not in uniforms ..

It will certainly be a very good option to fight the menace of terrorism,
but the following need to be answered first:

1. What will be the scope of SOCOM?
This will define the requirement/need of such an org and how and where they are to be used.

2. Will it undermine the LEA's (Police, Ranger's FC, CID)?
3. Keeping in view the high standards of training, will it over-shadow the LEA's?
4. ISI over shadowed IB because of the strength of the Armed forces behind it, will this happen with SOCOM also?

Don't we have an integrated communication system for all the agencies?
Well I would say not to integrate SOC but to make a Command centre where all these agencies can share information. We already have number of agencies and heavy manpower. We lack the communication in between them.

@Icarus

Any comments sir?

There are systems in the works but putting any such system into effect is easier said than done. There's been a paper prepared with some serious potential that's doing the rounds of the relevant offices, it has been drafted by Pakistan's most experienced officers in COIN and if approved will provide a platform for joint intelligence sharing and ground Ops, it might have an independent armed wing as well, drawn from forces as diverse as Army, PAF, FC, Police, Rangers.

Let's see if we get somewhere with it.

The idea is excellent and consists of various advantages,which are obvious and prominent.However,I reckon that problem is related to communication, understanding and implementation between civil regime's policy and our armed force's pathway as it helps in determining the direction such as where to halt and where to resume special operation.Despite of this fact that how much you succeed in making better command and structural special forces to counter these insurgencies,if you have failed to move with co-ordination due lack of implementation on specific time due to mismatch of specific political agenda,you will loose it's effect.

Last edited:
Changing the mindset of the Old Guard doesnt happen because of daily suicide bombings and failed Spec Op missions.

The US only created SOCOM because the ENTIRE Pentagon was black eyed by Op Eagle Claw. And that too over the ire of old Generals who opposed it as getting on their turf.

No Military branch wants to lose command of what they believe is there 'Best of the Best'.

The Pak COAS is going to have to roll allot of heads. He's just settling into his position right now, I dont think he'll have enough clout to carry this ambitious plan out. While the other guy from the Pak FC would have had more leadership and backing. The current COAS is shaky.

Units are born out of necessity, only there needs to be a General who thinks it necessary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom