What's new

Should India allow Pakistani Kashmiris into indian institutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

back me up

BANNED
Reaction score
I know about all thats going on in indian kashmir, but this is about the other one. enjoy :cheers:

P0K students want seats in IIM/IITs!

Students of Gilgit-Baltistan in P@kistan occupied Kashmir have demanded reservation for them in India's elite educational institutions.

"We want quotas in the Indian Institute of Management, the Indian Institute of Technology and law colleges of India. India should not ignore us,:lol:" said Shafquat Ali Inqlabi, a resident of Gilgit, told rediff.com.

Inqlabi and other 18 others are visiting India to participate in a conference organised by the New Delhi-based Institute for Conflict Management to discuss 'Alternative Futures' for Jammu and Kashmir [ Images ] on May 19-20.

Inqlabi says, "Indian maps always show Gilgit and Baltistan as part of India. The Constitution of India mentions that we are part of India. In your eyes, we are Indians and Pakistan has 'occupied' Indian territory. Then, why should we not get admissions in the IIMs and the IITs?" he says, adding, "I am an engineer, but now, I want to study law in the best of Indian law colleges. Help me get admission."

One of the demands made in a resolution unanimously passed by the conference -- which had the tacit support of Indian government -- says, 'The Government of India should provide openings in higher, professional and technical educational institutions to deserving students from Gilgit-Baltistan and Pakistan-administered Kashmir, who are denied necessary facilities for such education.'

The Karakoram University is the only institution for higher studies in Gilgit-Baltistan. The members of the delegation claimed that it does not have proper facilities.

Inqlabi, a political activist, says, "India should either accept us as Indians or give up claim on the territory."

In view of the All Party Hurriyat Conference's rejecting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's [ Images ] invitation to attend the second roundtable conference on Kashmir, the conference presented the ground realities about the future of Kashmir.

Editor of Public Opinions and Trends Sushant Sareen says, "The prime minister's roundtable on Kashmir has shown that there is no uniformity of views amongst Kashmiris. The region carries a multiplicity of views. Hurriyat, which is a non-entity, is getting attention it doesn't deserve. It's high time the people of Gilgit-Baltistan, who have been denied rights by Pakistan, and the people of *** get our attention."

Dr Ajaya Sahni, who organised the meeting, said, "Unfortunately, discussions on Kashmir are overwhelmingly defined by people who resort to terrorism. People who are displaced, marginalised and the voices of non-violence are neglected. Now is the time to respect those voices that have rejected terrorism."

First of all, one needs serious brains to get into such prestigious institutions even if is under reservations category. (Here's an insider thing, in IITs and even in IISc, students are expected to maintain a certain GPA to continue their studies there. Most students in reservation category fail to maintain that and by the end of 1st year are well on their way out of the institute.)
Secondly, seats in such prestigious institutions are for the citizens of the Republic of India, those holding Indian passports.

Mr. Inqlabi, who demanded a seat in such prestigious institution is welcome to apply, if and only if he rejects/discards his present passport and gets an Indian one. Let him do that and he is more than welcome to apply. Getting an actual seat would still depend on the competition.

First of all, one needs serious brains to get into such prestigious institutions even if is under reservations category. (Here's an insider thing, in IITs and even in IISc, students are expected to maintain a certain GPA to continue their studies there. Most students in reservation category fail to maintain that and by the end of 1st year are well on their way out of the institute.)
Secondly, seats in such prestigious institutions are for the citizens of the Republic of India, those holding Indian passports.

Mr. Inqlabi, who demanded a seat in such prestigious institution is welcome to apply, if and only if he rejects/discards his present passport and gets an Indian one. Let him do that and he is more than welcome to apply. Getting an actual seat would still depend on the competition.

I think your reply is right to some extent but not fully, SC/ST pupil do struggle during their first year but studies have shown they pick up after that.
I think the amount of coaching needed and money involved SC/ST people can't take it out where as a normal student can take these coaching and clear the exam. So benefit of doubt should be given to SC/ST.

I will agree if you say most of the SC/ST people coming are from financially normal background than a poor one.

I think reservation should be based on economics and financial situation but this should be implemented like after 20yrs.

I think your reply is right to some extent but not fully, SC/ST pupil do struggle during their first year but studies have shown they pick up after that.
I think the amount of coaching needed and money involved SC/ST people can't take it out where as a normal student can take these coaching and clear the exam. So benefit of doubt should be given to SC/ST.
I do totally agree with you here. Dont get me wrong, but I had to state these facts and be blunt. I do know that reservation category students struggle with their performance in such institutes. A friend of mine almost lost his seat after one year due to poor academic performance (fence sitter) but was given exemption considering his background and poor grasp of English - the primary reason for his poor performance.
I do agree with giving benefit of doubt to such students and giving them an opportunity to study in such institutions. But then at the end of the day, one has to maintain a certain GPA to continue their studies and I have also seen general category students failing to make the cut.
I will agree if you say most of the SC/ST people coming are from financially normal background than a poor one.

I think reservation should be based on economics and financial situation but this should be implemented like after 20yrs.
I wouldnt say that. Many people who make the cut for seats in IISc come from poor families from states like Bihar, MP., Orissa etc. Reservations can be based on financial conditions but then there's only so much that one can do. Here's what my dad used to say to me whenever I fell short of my academic threshold, "I can take the horse to the source of water, but cannot force the horse to drink that water". Says it all.

They r most welcome to do so..to come and study in our instituitions if they r deserving...and as rightly pointed out they r also Indians according to our constituition.

Only condition take the blue back passport.

Really sorry guys but I dont approve of this - I believe first weshould get the house in order in Indian Kashmir and also completely resolve this issue - else we will see some big fireworks in many parts of India.

No offence - I am not taking away the right to expression from these guys in anyway but just I would not be comfortable giving them that in the first place to be safe.

Lets things sort out and let the two countries show a sustained friendship effort for some years and only then shoud one open up any such bi-lateral programs - till then I think its not advisable.

:cheers:

Inqlabi, a political activist, says, "India should either accept us as Indians or give up claim on the territory."

Obviously, they are testing u

No admissions, let alone quota. They are Pakistani citizens, though they pretend to fly their own flag. They need to respect the country of which they are a part of and hold no expectations whatsoever from India. If they are dissatisfied, they should protest and demand their rights to good educational institutions. India doesn't owe them anything.

@ freekin

well obviously I can say they see the prestige of these institutions and see how the way forward is economic pogress which only comes from an educated workforce - which is why they want to get into Indian schools and colleges.

This side of the town does not just look green but is actually greener and I am sure you would agree.

:cheers:

@ Rajput - HUH?

I am totally against this, even if they take our citizenship...you can not be sure when they become adventurous...

a big no to them

stop_no_entry-718731.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom