What's new

Should I hire a car in Pakistan or get a driver?

tman786

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I planning to visit Pakistan, Punjab and Azad Kashmir only within the next 4 weeks.

I was thinking of driving a car myself so I can travel between cities and inside cities, so the car hire option is being considered.

I have substantial experience driving in UK, mainly performance vehicles with serious power. I consider myself a good driver but I have been told to not do drive in Pakistan myself as the etiquette is very different. I have driven between Mirpur and Sialkot (out skirts) before in 2004 and found it easy. However I didn't experience driving in Lahore or Islamabad or Sialkot city.

I will have my young kids with me and my wife so I don't want issues.

What's your opinion and advice?

I drove in Mirpur/AJK. Its not that hard. You have to just follow thier wierd non written rules.

They overtake all the time. They undertake. They don't check mirrors so they honk all the time. They tailgate and expect people to move out of the way.

Also there is a price based road hierarchy. Land cruiser drivers are at the top.

Most hire cars are under powered local corrollas. The new models are more powerful but don't expect anything brilliant.

Also they swerve around potholes and shine thier fullbeams all the time.

I planning to visit Pakistan, Punjab and Azad Kashmir only within the next 4 weeks.

I was thinking of driving a car myself so I can travel between cities and inside cities, so the car hire option is being considered.

I have substantial experience driving in UK, mainly performance vehicles with serious power. I consider myself a good driver but I have been told to not do drive in Pakistan myself as the etiquette is very different. I have driven between Mirpur and Sialkot (out skirts) before in 2004 and found it easy. However I didn't experience driving in Lahore or Islamabad or Sialkot city.

Get a driver and don't take the risk of driving yourself.

Thanks for the advice so far

Is it worth taking the risk to drive yourself or better to arrange for a driver with a decent car?

In Pakistan there is a rent a car mafia as well, make sure u take car from someone u know or very reliable, else they will squeeze money out of u.
The driving on motorways is same as UK but the cities r tricky. You will be swimmimg in a sea of bikes and rickshas that overtake from any side and in the smallest openings. Drive with the flow and dont do sudden movements n expect others to do sudden movements, ull be ok.

made my decision

I'll be arranging a driver, thanks 👍

any one taken a Mavic 4k drone into Pakistan?

Would customs confiscate?

dont announce that to the car companies or the hire drivers that you are Western citizen or resident. they will fleece you or worse plan to rob you.

if you value your life and belongings.
only visit together with your trusted relatives or have someone accompany you in case you do end up hiring a car.
both options are good but do get advice from reliable relatives and friends.

again, dont go for some unchartered adventure, Pakistan is a wild place including Azad Kashmir that has attracted some career criminals from Punjab and beyond.

Sorry bro.. announce what?
sorry I didnt clarify I will edit post
I meant to say announcing you are a visitor from abroad.

made my decision

I'll be arranging a driver, thanks 👍

any one taken a Mavic 4k drone into Pakistan?

Would customs confiscate?
can get stolen too. dont take it in original packaging.
if in Islamabad dint fly it as there restrictions

I'll be honest, they will know I'm a visitor when conversations start 😂

Make sure you know the driver very well i.e you know his office and where he lives.

Make sure you let another family member or friend who is not travelling with you know about the driver and where you are going on every trip.

All the best!

Brov, da Pakeez in Pakistan are on peak haramzadgi fam. If ya rent a vehicle, make sure ya take pictures and videos of da car exterior and interior before ya take it. Othawise dey make shit up and try to charge ya innit.

Just get uber and kareems fam. Doz lads are tryin to make dem honest dayz P’s. YAr on holiday with da missus and da kids...Don’t be a buki kanjoos makhi chus innit.

If ya rent a vehicle, yar holiday will be ruined with bullshit. With Uber and Kareem, ya help da bredrin and don’t have to deal with da 5-0 or shady rental wastemen.

if you are in karachi i could take you around but i have a humble old corolla

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom