What's new

Should BD purchase the FD-2000 SAM

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Now that Turkey has given the FD-2000 SAM it's seal of approval, I think a BD government that is hopefully led by the BNP from next year should seriously consider buying this missile system.

Funds will be tight of course but with the small area of BD, the country will need to spend significantly less than Turkey to cover it's whole airspace. I think that 1 billion dollars should be enough to do the job.

It will have the advantage that the Indians will have absolutely no clue how it works and hence its weaknesses, and it will be a lot cheaper than buying a decent number of fighters while money is still very tight.

This system should give BD a decent air-defence system before a sizeable number of 4th generation fighters are procured.

1 billion dollars on SAM systems is too much in my opinion. We are already spending that much on the Submarine procurement.

We still have the 1 billion dollar loan from Russia which has not been spent on anything as of yet. Also taking into consideration of our agreement with belarus, we will be able to upgrade them and belarus are a key example in upgrading such russian systems.

China is also another source. Their SAMs are likely to be more cheaper but do forgive me if this is wrong, i have no real information about the FD-2000 SAM capabilites and Price.

1 billion dollars on SAM systems is too much in my opinion. We are already spending that much on the Submarine procurement.

We still have the 1 billion dollar loan from Russia which has not been spent on anything as of yet. Also taking into consideration of our agreement with belarus, we will be able to upgrade them and belarus are a key example in upgrading such russian systems.

China is also another source. Their SAMs are likely to be more cheaper but do forgive me if this is wrong, i have no real information about the FD-2000 SAM capabilites and Price.

If the system is good enough for Turkey, then it should be good enough for Bangladesh.:tup:

It was quoted around 25% cheaper than the other contenders in the Turkish competition so does represent good value for money.

1 billion dollars is a lot of money for BD but the country desperately needs a system like this to protect it from aerial threats. Anyway, 1 billion dollars should be the cost of protecting the whole country and if funds are really short then a single battery could be initially purchased and then more purchased as the funds become available.

Indians will feel like they are in a nightmare if we get this baby :lol: regardless, definitely looks like a sweet SAM. 1billion is too much on SAM for a country like BD though.

Indians will feel like they are in a nightmare if we get this baby :lol: regardless, definitely looks like a sweet SAM. 1billion is too much on SAM for a country like BD though.

why should we when we've our "Dalal" govt in BD..we know that as soon as FD-2000 will land in BD,we'll exploit it.. :cheesy:

by the way,I think BD should look into MBDA Aster or something like NASAMS for short range.they barely need a SAM of 200km range(which is applicable for larger airspace than what BD has).but for that role,Aster,S-300 or FD-2000 will be applicable.I doubt they'll procure Patriot or something form Israel.but Barak-8 will be a great choice if they will..also,for short range,we can always supply them Akash sam from India..

also,you guys can look for Spyder for short range.India too use them.its quite good.

a missile like the HQ-9/FD-2000 is a strategic SAM.... not sure why we need to have a 200km range SAM with 180kg warhead at this stage.... the missile will be best utilised when its supported by a proper air defence network, which I'm not sure that we have.... we bought a C4I system from Pakistan in 2005, not sure whether we still have an integrated air defence system.... some words I hear about buying AESA radars, but probably those are still within the $1bn deal with Russia.... we are yet to have a medium-range SAM system.... we only have a small number of FM-90 SHORAD... lets build this up in phases.... that way, money would be better spent.... the $1bn loan from Russia would probably be mostly spent behind 24 Yak-130 trainer/light attack aircraft.... and the deal with Belarus contains some unspecified stuff, including some joint development projects.... haven't learned anything about that deal so far....

HQ-9 would suit BD's needs perfectly. Rather it would be technologically a overkill for whatever our 2 neighbours can afford in their inventory. :)

well as BD posters are jumping up and down about shooting Indian jets :P , i would like to ask you BD posters as what strategy you have to stop India , if by any chance India starts rolling out over BD?

Well India has no intention what so ever to damage India-BD relations. India sees BD as partner in long term.

Best of luck for BD on new acquisitions .

And so much hate will not get you and your country anywhere. You have a live example Pakistan for that.

And for that they will marry there daughters with u like sania mirza...:cheesy: wats ur obssision... shud i give examples of your Rapistan every where...stick to the topic :smokin:

:offpost::offpost::offpost:

On topic ...indeed a very good choice for bangladesh

That is another option but FD-2000 has the ability to put Indian aircraft taking off from airbases near BD at risk of being shot down while they are within Indian airspace.

It's deterrent ability against any Indian misadventure will be significant.

Without expert operators we cant even shoot an AN-225 with FD-2000 SAM system :disagree:. So, I think we should go for simplified HQ-16 based SAM system :smart:. And gain SAM system operating knowledge fast then, we can jump for sophisticated SAM system :coffee:.

How about buying radars for civilian use and taking control of your airspace first.

I think the real threat before Bangladesh is Civil unrest, Revolt like 2009 Bangladesh Rifle revolt and growing religious fundamentalism in Bangladesh. Bangladesh should try and strengthen these areas and build deterrence. With potential dangers building in BD, BD's future do not appear very promising. There are full chance that BD may fall in trap of religious fundamentalism like Pakistan, Syria, Iraq and other Muslim Countries.

I wish BD a best of Luck!!!!!!!

Your living in cloud coo coo land, Bangladesh has a economy that has shown consistent growth of over 6% year on year, and has infact grown faster then india in the last year. Our economy is now over $153bn from literally nowhere that is expected to top $300bn within next 12 years, our growing foreign exchange reserves exceed that of Pakistan, we have rapidly growing exports, and for the last few decades a stable democracy.

Visit Dhaka an learn the truth, Bangladesh is longer the typical image your media like to portray, our focus is on growth not regional politics. The truth is we hardly spend anything on defence less way less then all our neighbours as a percentage of our GDP, but as the economy expand we'll be getting a lot more equipment in the next couple of years.

Take you head out of the sand, growing fundamentalism...seems anyone who opposes india is a fundamentalist to you guys.

we sgould install these bad boys in khulna and rajshahi :angel:

Strategically Khulna is secure, Rajshahi needs both airbase and SAM network...that zone is vulnerable. Is their any airbase in whole North Bengal?

Back
Top Bottom