What's new

Shoud pakistan start j-2x programe low cost (5th generation) multirole aircraft to replace jf-17

malikahmed91279

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Assalam. O. Alaikum......,
My name is Ahmed, and I'm a learner and big fan of jf-7, I'm starting a discussion about fighter that we're hearing in 2011,
Please don't make fun of me (we have not get our all jf17 ,and u r talking about a new fighter program,)
Sorry about my English

My name is Ahmed, and I'm a learner and big fan of jf-7, I'm starting a discussion about fighter that we're hearing in 2011,
Please don't make fun of me (we have not get our all jf17 ,and u r talking about a new fighter program,)
Sorry about my English

JFT is replacing older birds its here to stay and evolve and 5th gen birds are not low cost work horses, they are top of the line birds and if PAF goes for them those will be front line birds not low cost ones.

Fifth generation
Sorry about my English
J
Sorry about my English
fifth generation jets are costly affair the stealth material coating is very expensive also design engine also needs expertise ...chinas j31 might be offered to pakistan but not sure whether pak low defence budget will b able to afford our fgfa program with Russia is jeopriadised only design took 295 million dollar with Indias share and total program cost is 25 billion dollar ..lets see

JFT is replacing older birds its here to stay and evolve and 5th gen birds are not low cost work horses, they are top of the line birds and if PAF goes for them those will be front line birds not low cost ones.
Pakistan cannot afford fgfa for next 10 years due to budget constraint and poor economiv growth ...

Pakistan cannot afford fgfa for next 10 years due to budget constraint and poor economiv growth ...

Who says Pakistan is going for FGFA?? Pakistan is looking into realistic available options that are J-31 & TFX and both will not be work horse of PAF, which ever is selected it will be front line bird and will be made as per PAF's requirements, economy is no issue specially when it comes to J-31 project.

Existing
existingthunder.jpg

J-18 would be nice
Twin Engine Thunder , throwing the idea out there

Same Thunder but modified to have 2 Engines

Just need minor revision on the lateral half of the Plane

The rest of the plane can remain as it , Avionics , Weapon's package etc

JF18_Thunder_concept.png

View the Top view , what I did was without changing too much of the plane , I just reused the rear space which presently fits 1 Engine , to place 2 Engines side by side. Same scale 2 engines in given space at rear , and you can see techncially you can position 2 Engines side by side at back

May be the airintake would need to be widen to accomodate more flow of oxygen/air into engines

Certainly the core body can be modified to house 2 Engines with some minor revision of structural design of core body

Last edited:
JFT isn't even fully inducted and here people are discussing to replace it.

Faceplam

Who says Pakistan is going for FGFA?? Pakistan is looking into realistic available options that are J-31 & TFX and both will not be work horse of PAF, which ever is selected it will be front line bird and will be made as per PAF's requirements, economy is no issue specially when it comes to J-31 project.
He meant FGFA as a generic term (fifth generation fighter aircraft), not the one India is working on with Russia.

CFT should resolve this issue with respect to two Engines

However the Twin Engine JF-18 would certainly have more upside

JF18_Thunder_concept.png

jf18_thunder-png.381987

• Considering all the Tech for plane already is finalized just a structural change to add second engine and testing , most of the Avionics , weapons system and radar etc are all same

The proposed change does not changes the "Length of plane"
The proposed change does not changes the "Width of plane"

Only changing the back of plane to accomodate 2 Engines. Changing the core body from single hollow column , where 1 engine is slid in into two columns

Last edited:
Better, Easier and Cheaper option is to get involved in J-31 programme.

This jet is "almost there" and PAF intervention (if already not taken place) can result in PAF getting its hands on a 5th Generation jet in the next 5-years.

Starting J-2X programme now means an outcome in at least 15-years - even we have enough money (which we don't).

Better, Easier and Cheaper option is to get involved in J-31 programme.

This jet is "almost there" and PAF intervention (if already not taken place) can result in PAF getting its hands on a 5th Generation jet in the next 5-years.

Starting J-2X programme now means an outcome in at least 15-years - even we have enough money (which we don't).
That seems like the best option although there are rumors that Chengdu is also working on light 5th gen fighter but even if they are it will take them at least 10 years

Converting the JF-17 into JF-18 (Twin Engine Bird) should not be that hard for continuation or evolution of our existing platform

Most Engineering Houses do continue to Evolve a platform to Next Evolution and valuable knowledge does gets attained in moving from one Successful Iteration to next. Just look at Russian planes always built on top of older model and designs

The Stealth plane is a different situation as we plan to purchase some birds in due time, Its is very simple to see what structural component will have to get modified

Just using a model to explain the idea, yes means we need to change the core central structure from 1 hollow column to 2 but rest of plane is all same

StructuralChangeJF-18-2column.png

The cylindrical smooth surface hardly adds any drag on the Thunder JF-18

Certainly folks can argue , how difficult it would be but it does not seems that much of a drastic change, a flying prototype should not take more then 1.5 Years to 2.0 years

We are just introducing only 3 identified parts as seen in image above in yellow , pure structural elements not mechanical moving parts and most of the time these 3 parts all come "attached" already preconnected in one big part

• From electrical prespective we are just introducing starting capabilities and shutting capabilities of second engine
  • I do see some need to enable support for collecting 2nd engine data for internal computers to display data to pilot(i.e it is running with out issues)
150 JF-17 would be restricted to Block 1, Block 2, Block 3
50-75 JF-18 would have Block 1 (Initially) [Newer Radar , More Air to Air Missiles]

Certainly doable with knowledge Pakistani Engineers have presently

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom