Shooting Down the First Soviet Su-25

air marshal

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Shooting Down the First Soviet Su-25
August 4, 1988

F-16-vs-SU-25-large.jpg

Illustration by Group Captain (Retd) Syed Masood Akhtar Hussaini

One of the most lethal weapons used by the Soviet Union in Afghanistan was their latest fighter bomber, the SU-25.

During one of its night engagements with the Pakistani F-16 inside Pakistan, the SU-25 was shot down and its Russian pilot who ejected was taken POW. The Pilot of the SU-25, Colonel Rudskoi Alexander Vladimirovich, was also the Inspector of SU-25s deployed in Afghanistan.

He was eventually handed over to the Russian authorities on 16 August 1988. This officer rose to the position of Vice President of Russia in 1991.

Squadron Leader Athar Bukhari of No 14 Squadron was the pilot of the F-16 while this night interception was conducted on radar by Squadron Leader Taufiq Raja.

Shooting Down the First Soviet Aircraft

a. Pilot: Squadron Leader Athar Bokhari
b. Controller: Squadron Leader Taufeeq Raja
c. Date: August 4, 1988
d. Aircraft Shot: Su-25
e. Area: 10 NM West of Miranshah (Boya)

In those days, in addition to the scrambles that had then become routine, two or three pairs of F-16s would fly CAPs in the west on a regular basis. On this day, a scramble was ordered half an hour before sunset. As the No. 2 of the detailed formation was not yet fully night current, the leader decided to go alone. On the initial vector, he was at full throttle. As the violating aircraft had turned back, he was asked near Hangu to fly at normal speed and to set up a race course CAP pattern north of Bannu at 10,000 feet. The next fifty minutes were uneventful as he kept flying at 120/300 degrees. By this time, it was dark. Then came the opportunity for a kill, so narrated by the pilot:

I was vectored on a heading of 300 degrees, and the controller reported the target 30 degree left, 15 NM. I turned left and called contact. The GCI controller clearly told me to go ahead and shoot the target. I achieved a head-on IR lock on one aircraft at 7 NM flying high. He started to turn right at 6.5 NM, putting me on at 3.5 NM. I engaged burners and closed to less than 2.5 NM from the target before the desired launch zone (DLZ) started to flash. As all the parameters were met, I fired the missile and saw it go towards the target in the TD box on the HUD. I next saw a ball of fire in the TD box. I broke left to 120 degrees, descended to 5,000 feet, and dispensed chaff and flares. On looking back at the 8 o'clock position, I saw 4-5 flares at about 3-4 NM and mistook them initially for missiles. It all about stopped my heartbeat but my controller reassured me that there were no other aircraft in the vicinity. I then took a safe passage home.

The wreckage of the shot down aircraft was located, but not the pilot. The tribal people caught him the next evening and handed him over to the authorities. His name was Colonel Alexander Rutskoi who later became the Vice President of the Russian Federation. Both the pilots and the controller displayed calm professional competence in shooting down the first Soviet-piloted Su-25 aircraft at night. It was an excellent example of pilot-controller teamwork.

PAF Falcons - The PAF in the Afghan War

"His name was Colonel Alexander Rutskoi who later became the Vice President of the Russian Federation. Both the pilots and the controller displayed calm professional competence in shooting down the first Soviet-piloted Su-25 aircraft at night. It was an excellent example of pilot-controller teamwork."

Epic, just plain EPIC.

Aside from the Su-25, PAF F-16s also shot down another 7 intruders during the Soviet-Afghan war. 3 Su-22s, one probable Su-22, an AN-26 and 2 MiG-23s, without a single loss to enemy fire. Overall an excellent performance by PAF in safeguarding Pakistani air space.

Between May 1986 and November 1988, PAF F-16s have shot down at least eight intruders from Afghanistan. The first three of these (one Su-22, one probable Su-22, and one An-26) were shot down by two pilots from No. 9 Squadron. Pilots of No. 14 Squadron destroyed the remaining five intruders (two Su-22s, two MiG-23s, and one Su-25). Most of these kills were by the AIM-9 Sidewinder, but at least one (a Su-22) was destroyed by cannon fire. Flight Lieutenant Khalid Mahmood is credited with three of these kills. One F-16 was lost in these battles during an encounter between two F-16s and six Afghan Air Force aircraft on 29 April 1987, stated by the PAF to have been an "own-goal" because it was hit by an AIM-9 Sidewinder fired from the other F-16. The pilot, Flight Lieutenant Shahid Sikandar Khan, ejected safely.

Pakistan Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The painting is currently the august 2010 theme for PAF calendar 2010... hanging in centre of my room, cant help praise the artist's depiction of a wonderful kill, a ball of light to light the dark night..... Pure Awesomeness... Go Hussaini..

well F 16 always been ace fighter jet with its manuvers and when it gets with the best pilots n the world it will make a killer combination for enemy

SU-25 is a CAS a/c and not a fighter-bomber but what the hell - a KILL is a KILL is a KILL.:cheers:

Exactly. If i have read correctly, the Su-25 pilot carried out no evasive maneuvers, apparently didnt know where he was or what was following him. For the PAF F-16 pilot, it was a pretty much easy kill, see-aim-shoot-kill!

Now thats an achievement to be proud of
ohoq9.jpg

Wow, Pakistan has taken on the Soviet Air Force, Israeli Air force, Indian air force, and sometimes even the US air force (in simulated matches, i believe) and come out victorious.

Awesome work.

Your analysis about the Soviets is wrong.

Soviets never had dog fights. All those were strayed aircraft which were shot down by PAF.

GB

Stray Russian Aircraft flying across the border for over 50 mins.. The SU 25's were no match for the F16's .. The new hardware maybe a different story .. But when you blast a plane with no missles and just guns .. That paints a different picture.

Hi,

Quite a few of the iraqi pilots in the first GW didnot fly any evasive maneavouers because their obsolete radars could not tell them where the enemy aircraft was or if there was a phoenix missile coming at them----they possibly died NOT KNOWING when they died.

The russians were not lost----they carried out ground strike missions in pakistan all the times---sometimes they got caught.

Now as for the shooting of the SU 25---there was no reason for the PAF to brag about it---it was like your Ferrari beat the sh-it out the opponents Hyundai at the Lemans---and you are jumping up and down with joy---that was rather cheap and still is.

When the paks take out the mig 29 and the m2ks on their own---then I will bow my head down in praise---other than that it was just a turkey shoot.

But taking down an aircraft with cannons?? How can you not give them some props.. ?

Hi,

I don't want to sell my guys short---they take down the mig 29 / m2k with cannons---that is a feat---but an su 25---which didnot even have a radar powerful enough to know that you were there coming---.

Where is the pride and dignity of a fighter ace in shooting someone who is blind. I don't see it anywhere.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom