What's new

Shinzo Abe in Gujarat today: Bullet train foundation to be laid

India is not ready for bullet train yet. We should focus mostly on revamping our existing infrastructure to support exiting trains at ~180-200 kmph speed. And activating small airfields around smaller towns for cheaper and faster connectivity.

First the whole of India said "bullet train lao modiji" . Now that he has got it , they are saying "kyu lae modiji is gareeb desh main".
Haha people in India are such losers.

First the whole of India said "bullet train lao modiji" . Now that he has got it , they are saying "kyu lae modiji is gareeb desh main".
Haha people in India are such losers.

Dig into my previous post and point it out. I have been adamantly against Bullet train, then again I don't speak for entire India, nor am I a spokesperson.

LoL... didn't make any sense.

and about the petrol hikes!!! when is the gov going to allow the people to reap the benefits ?? the crude prices are atlease 50% lower in the international market instead of reducing the price why the gov increasing it??

Bootlicking corporates... Soft corner on NPA, but draining common man pocket..

Bro.. but do you think its going to be a success??? the fares are going tobe somewhere betwenn 3.5-5 k for one way.
why would anyone want to travel by train when cheaper and quicker option available via air ??
Suppose you want to stop at Surat and then go to Ahmedabad. You can't do that in a plane.

A plane landing and take off takes nearly 1 hour at source and at destination. In airport alone. Check in, check out, security check, customs etc... Although I don't know exact time to reach Mumbai-Ahmedabad via flight and compare it to bullet train.

India is not ready for bullet train yet. We should focus mostly on revamping our existing infrastructure to support exiting trains at ~180-200 kmph speed. And activating small airfields around smaller towns for cheaper and fas
That's the problem with India, we are never ready. We will never be. So, it's better to move forward and other things to come along rather than waiting and rectifying the error then delay the necessary development further.

Japanese is giving Bullet Train Technology & money at 0.1% Interest Rate which can be paid in 50 YEARS TIME. IT'S ALMOST FREE. ;)

Govt. is already working on improvement of British Railways System. Both can be done Parellel.

Bye.

@anant_s bhai can you shed some light on it.

Well first of all this is first time in its more than half a century old history that famed Japanese Shinkansen will run outside Japan as and when it happens.
Second given extremely liberal conditions of loan (its practically will cost same as DFC YoY cost basis), Indian railways are smiling understandably.
However my question is that this project being part of BJP manifesto in last General election should not become one off. India needs HST (or semi HST) badly to decongest cities where people are unwilling to move away owing to transit time. But in order to achieve that HST should be given same priority what Vajpayee sahab gave to National Highway projects in early 2000s. We know how much better our long distance travel has become since.
HST in my mind has same potential and if developed systematically, it can sustain itself and its growth over next 20-25 years, by earning revenue and profits.
Here comes the question of initial funding. Delhi Mumbai and Chennai Hyderabad and Bangalore along with Delhi Chandigarh should seriously start moving towards HST (& not sub 200 kph Semi HST) projects in 5 years time. If India can convince Japan or SNCF or Renfe, more projects can start and dream of true public friendly HST system can come true which will not burden finances too much.
If we look back at history once France introduced TGVs in early 70s or Shinkansen in Japan in 60s or more recently China from late 90 onwards, ridership grows with time. and it grows rapidly leading to more and more HS lines.
In a country like ours notorious for poor project execution, this is a sure opportunity to shine and tell the world, we too can have world class technologies and adapt them to suit our requirements.
PS: those who doubt, i suggest read about E Sreedharan and Delhi Metro. Its doable!

Suppose you want to stop at Surat and then go to Ahmedabad. You can't do that in a plane.

A plane landing and take off takes nearly 1 hour at source and at destination. In airport alone. Check in, check out, security check, customs etc... Although I don't know exact time to reach Mumbai-Ahmedabad via flight and compare it to bullet train.

Bro... that might happen to some one very rarely.
and you don't have to spend long time in a airport for a domestic flight.

Bro... that might happen to some one very rarely.
and you don't have to spend long time in a airport for a domestic flight.
I had enough domestic flight, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a walk in walk out. Sometimes delayed more than hour on the tarmac, exhausted. If there was a bullet train, I would gladly take it over flight.
May be I'm scared of the turbulence lol.

Congrats...Mubarak India !!!

Acche din are finally here and...here to stay.

BTW why is it that no Chinese friend is saying China highspeed train rail network is already touching 22,000 kms.

...at the same time I would say first thing first. A 19 billion USD project in India with rail road infra not in good condition, makes it a bit extravagant project, need to make the rail infra safe(keeping in mind the high accident rate) in India.

And start with the basics like investing in Human Development. Pakistan should follow the same, Sri Lanka is doing better in HDI.

I have written umpteenth times in Pak media against the BRTS in Lhr/Isb and Multan, specially about the elevated corridors and supported normal public buses in larger numbers should have been running on existing roads...

Will Bullet train help India leapfrog into the league of Japan, or in the comity of Germany...highly unlikely.

Also as written by me elsewhere...developed nations make Bullet trains...a Bullet train doesn't make a nation developed. It is a gradual and slow process...

A 19 billion USD project in India with rail road infra not in good condition, makes it a bit extravagant project, need to make the rail infra safe(keeping in mind the high accident rate) in India.
If you ask, then you can say similar thing about our space program. We started our space program when nearly 80% of our people were poor. Even though it costs hundreds of millions of rupees we continue with the project. At the end, we ourselves enjoy the fruits.

Bullet trains are long term projects, it'll take nearly 8-9 years for the train to start running. By that time, the poverty in India, if India grows at this rate, will be less than 5%. By that time more such projects will be required. In parallel to that, railway development and security infra's will be improved.

I have written umpteenth times in Pak media against the BRTS in Lhr/Isb and Multan, specially about the elevated corridors and supported normal public buses in larger numbers should have been running on existing roads...
Start with metros. For Pakistan it's more or less easy. It's not too populous like India. Cities are somewhat planned.

Will Bullet train help India leapfrog into the league of Japan, or in the comity of Germany...highly unlikely.

Yeah, when you are looking at it now. No, India is nowhere close to Japan, Germany, China etc..

Also as written by me elsewhere...developed nations make Bullet trains...a Bullet train doesn't make a nation developed. It is a gradual and slow process...

Like the space program argument. Developed nation do space programs, not poor nation.

I don't think you would agree to that.

If you ask, then you can say similar thing about our space program. We started our space program when nearly 80% of our people were poor. Even though it costs hundreds of millions of rupees we continue with the project. At the end, we ourselves enjoy the fruits.

Quite difficult to hyphenate and compare Indian space program, which is an R&D based, now an indigenously(as of now) developed cutting edge program with a Bullet Train sponsored and financed by Japan and technology also being provided by Japan.

Space program is earning India money...Chances of Bullet trains running on loses is high, wear and tear, subsidized rates. Delhi metro, the flagship Metro is still running on loses even with the raised fares. It is about diminishing returns(mostly happens in infra)....earning(space program) as opposed to incurring loses(Bullet T).

Start with metros. For Pakistan it's more or less easy. It's not too populous like India. Cities are somewhat planned.

Yes Metro's has high incurring/initial cost, Lahore Metro is costing about 2.05 billion USD, huge for a developing country like Pakistan. Ideally invest in HDI, education should be the priority, higher education specially, then health...

Like the space program argument. Developed nation do space programs, not poor nation.

I don't think you would agree to that.

I think it is about priorities...setting them right and not pleasing the galleries, the Junta.

Also with a Bullet train running in one corridor initially, the discrepancy, the difference between Indian old railway system and the Bullet train will be more starker, more noticeable. Up gradation of the current railway should be the first priority, like changing it to a decent high speed system...Bullet rain is ahead of the curve...difference will be stark, visible, as between the haves and haves not in India.

Talking about unequal distribution of resource and wealth, this is quite high in India.

Last edited:
We will never be ready...if you don't dive into it...and figure out how to make travel faster. We also should upgrade our existing rail network and also build bullet train network between most important cities of the country: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Calcutta. Both are needed and they are not mutually exclusive. If flights are growing between these cities, and as billions are being spent by the airline companies to buy new aircrafts to fly across the country...I am sure there is market for bullet trains in India.

As usual barbinder moodi takes a great idea and ruins it. Bombay to Delhi makes perfect sense and is, in fact, necessary. What does barbinder do? He takes the line to irrelevant ahmadabad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom