What's new

Shenyang J-15 aircraft carrier-based aircraft

By the way I have two more questions that were spinning thru my mind since some time:

1. Does anyone know the current status of the twin-seater ? So far we have seen one, maybe two prototypes and one - most likely of them - in grey at the CFTE ... final news were from September last year.

2. Again a J-15 prototype 557 was mentioned ... but I have never seen one !?? Did I miss this particular bird?

Thanks in advance,
Deino

China’s Catapult Launched J-15 for Aircraft Carrier with Catapult
Posted: September 20, 2016 | Author: chankaiyee2 |

prototype-of-catapult-launched-j-15.jpg

Prototype of catapult-launched j-15. Mil.news.sina.com.cn photo

the-device-strengthened-landing-gear-of-the-prototype.jpg

The takeoff device and strengthened landing gear of the prototype. mil.news.sina.com.cn photo

The above are photos of a new prototype of China’s J-15 carrier-based fighter jet. Taiwan’s major media chinatimes.com believes that it is the prototype of catapult-launched carrier-based J-15 fighter jet as the landing gear is strengthened for catapult assisted takeoff.

Source: huanqiu.com “Taiwan media: Disclosure of Mainland’s catapult-launched J-15, but perhaps not for China’s first homegrown aircraft carrier” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)

1650884_-_main.jpg

Airbus Defence and Space imagery showing a Chinese navy shore-based catapult test and training complex under construction at Huangdicun Airbase. Source: CNES 2016, Distribution Airbus DS / 2016 IHS
China has been flight testing a new variant of its J-15 navalised fighter modified for catapult-assisted take-off but arrested recovery (CATOBAR) operations, according to images posted on Chinese online forums.

Released on 15 September, the images show a Shenyang Aircraft Corporation (SAC) J-15 in flight featuring what appear to be modifications to its front undercarriage that would enable the aircraft to conduct catapult-assisted take-offs: yet another indication that China may be planning to develop a CATOBAR aircraft carrier.

Expectations that China's third carrier, which is commonly referred to as the Type 002, will be equipped with catapults were reinforced in early August when images emerged on Chinese online forums showing the country's land-based aircraft carrier mock-up in Wuhan, Hubei Province, undergoing modifications.

Most significantly, the ski-jump section had been removed from the mock-up.

Construction of China's third carrier is expected to take place at the Jiangnan Changxingdao shipyard near Shanghai. So far there has been no official confirmation of the programme, nor visible evidence of the construction, but there has been considerable speculation that production of the initial modules is already in progress.

Airbus Defence and Space imagery captured on 20 June 2016 already showed that significant progress was being made on two land-based catapult tracks for testing and training.

p1685960.jpg

This image shows what appear to be modifications to the front undercarriage of a Chinese carrier-based J-15 fighter that could enable the aircraft to conduct catapult-assisted take-offs. (Via CJDBY web page)

Constructed at the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) carrier air wing training facility at Huangdicun Airbase, the two tracks consist of a steam-powered track and an electromagnetic catapult track placed at the northeastern end of a new runway under construction. Installation of both suggests that a final decision on which system to adopt may not yet have been taken.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(292 of 419 words)

http://www.janes.com/article/64001/china-flight-testing-modified-j-15-for-catobar-operations

@Zarvan

PLAESE !!!!!! Why on earth do You always start for each and every bit of news a new thread even if these news are already potsed - some even several times - and if an already existing thread is available????

I really don't understand this.

Deino

@Zarvan

PLAESE !!!!!! Why on earth do You always start for each and every bit of news a new thread even if these news are already potsed - some even several times - and if an already existing thread is available????

I really don't understand this.

Deino

Call it enthusiasm. However, @Zarvan if possible, kindly post such news, if there is current one and not shared before, in respective thread for the subject so the important information may be available at one place for readers and we can avoid duplication as well. Just saying. Thanks.

Again NO, it uses exactly the same engines, is probably a bit lighter but avionics-wise uses the same radar like the J-11B ... only the J-15A or T if You like maybe.

Su-33 uses basic AL-31F while J-15 uses newer higher thrust AL-31 M series. Btw, this about original Su-33 vs J-15, not J-15 vs J-11B. Are you going to deny J-15 is more superior than old Su-33 in terms of radar?

http://en.people.cn/90786/8047787.html

No... But you claim it features an AESA is wrong and by The way whats your source for an AL-31m ?

No... But you claim it features an AESA is wrong and by The way whats your source for an AL-31m ?

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/military-engines-russia-213591/

I have not heard Su-33 has installed any of the upgraded newer AL-31 engines. And I doubt Chinese will buy the original 80s design AL-31F engines in modern 21th century...

So everytime the same whining tune sing by Indians of copy being inferior to original is nothing but BS. In fact, its upgraded and far superior. The latter will always be better. Just like trying to claim F-16A is superior than F-16 block 52. :enjoy:

Last edited:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/military-engines-russia-213591/

I have not heard Su-33 has installed any of the upgraded newer AL-31 engines. And I doubt Chinese will buy the original 80s design AL-31F engines in modern 21th century...

So everytime the same whining tune sing by Indians of copy being inferior to original is nothing but BS. In fact, its upgraded and far superior. The latter will always be better. Just like trying to claim F-16A is superior than F-16 block 52. :enjoy:

But the issue is: there have never been any reports about AL-31M - aka AL-31FM1 or M2 - on any naval Flanker. This is the engine used on the latest Su-30 versions and Su-34. The fact that You don't believe that China uses the same engines as in all other J-11A s is not a proof that the J-15 uses it. By the way if these engines were sold to China, I'm sure the Russians would have announced it ... and even more I think they would have refused to use their uprated engines on a clearly illegal copy of their own Su-33.
Concerning the radar Your claim is also not valid. The J-11B has an already better radar than the standard Su-27SK/Su-33 but an AESA was so far only speculated for the J-15A.

By the way I will move this J-15-stuff to the correct thread.

Sorry a link from 2007 reporting about plans on versions M1 to M3 is hardly a proof that China uses this versions esp. since China and the J-15 is not even mentioned in a single word.

See:
...Salyut hopes the AL-31FM-1 will be selected by China to modernise its fleet of Su-27/30s, for which rival NPO Saturn is proposing its new 117S engine. Under a 2005 contract worth $550 million, Salyut and UMPO are already supplying an additional 180 AL-31Fs over three years to China to power AVIC 2-built Su-27SKs (J-11s). A separate three-year, $100 million agreement covered spares for engines powering Su-27SKs and Su-30MK2s purchased from Russia and licence-built.

And we all know this deal finally failed since the WS-10 became matured by 2009.

Back
Top Bottom