What's new

Shenyang J-15 aircraft carrier-based aircraft

:laughcry: Pure sourgraped from our Indian friends.... Mig-29K is picked becos sugardaddy Indian decide to help finance the whole Mig-29K project.

When Kuztnesov was commissioned, both Su-33 and Mig-29K were considered. Why Su-33 is chosen by Russian?

Russian are too poor to upgraded Su-33 to Chinese J-15 standard. Plain truth is hard to swallow for some. :yay:
Su-33 was chosen because of building nuclear aircraft carriers (Ulyanovsk class). For the "Kuznetsov" and "Varyag" it's too heavy.

Must you display your ignorance thru your posts. Please try to do some research before you make such bogus claims. J-15 uses Chinese WS-10H engine. Only the prototype used Russian engine in the beginning.

The first J-15 prototype is believed to have performed its maiden flight on August 31, 2009, powered by Russian-supplied AL-31 turbofan engines.[5] Video and still images of the flight were released in July 2010, showing the same basic airframe design as the Su-33.[13] In July 2011, it was reported FWS-10H turbofan engine was chosen for J-15 fighter, which has takeoff thrust increased to 12,800 kg, comparing FWS-10 turbofan's 12,500 kg. Other improvements were also made to make it better suited to carrier-based fighter's requirement.[14] On May 6, 2010, the aircraft conducted its first takeoff from a simulated ski-jump.[5]
Shenyang J-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thx bro for informing ...

bro can u tell me also that when jf-17 engine chinese made available or i have heard that the proto type already have been flown by chinese engine ? how much time required to be fitted these new engine in jf-17

Could you fill me on that?? Maybe a link or two?

How is that related to the J-15 development?
Bcoz the base design is of a flanker which you photo copied. Su33 is the naval variant of the su-27. Its not f15 and f18 that we are talking here.

China has not officially announced the J-20 yet; does that mean such a plane does not exist?

J20首飞庆功 记住这些英雄 :: 空军世界
This official ceremony screams J20 programme. What else do you need? A selfie of ur pm with the J20 in the backdrop?

The link to the 2006 article has been dead for some years now, but the statement still stands. This wasn't the first time that an age-old rumor has been re-posted and interpreted as fresh news. A similar thing also happened with the Tu-22M3 purchase rumors, which originally stemmed from 2010.

The fact the Russians tried to accuse the Chinese of "copying" (in which the Russian arguments held no water since both the J-11B and J-15 uses wholly homegrown technologies and subsystems) had no effect on the Chinese decision to pursue their own carrier aircraft. In fact, it even had no effect on Russia's willingness to sell planes to China; Sukhoi wished to sell the Su-33 as late as 2009.

The J-20 pictures you are seeing are not from an official PLA/AF source. They took seven years to officially reveal the J-10A after its maiden flight. The first Chinese nuclear submarine, which was commissioned in the 1970 era and has already been retired, was not revealed in detail until 2013. Photographs of the J-10B were held until four months after its maiden flight, and even then the engineers did not acknowledge its development until 2013. It is very evident that openness and transparency are not highly endorsed in their establishments.

J-15 is a dumped Russian SU-33 fighter. The Russian dumped this design in nineties in favor of MIG-29 (Naval Version). The Chinese bought a copy in Ukraine and further coping it since 2001. (Read DefenceNews)

If Su-33 was working well, then the Russians would not have dumped it. Never the less, it has become a Chinese problem. All technologies cannot be reverse engineered as the Chinese think. Hence their renamed J-15 can take off only with quarter of the ordinance load from their lone carrier. (Again DefenceNews).

Hence Chinese official propaganda has way too many pictures of J-15 taking off from their carrier. These are for show and tell purposes. It will be fool hardy to pick up a fight with MIG - 29K Naval fighters in Russian inventory or in Indian inventory.

The Chinese did not have any intentions to copy anything aboard the Su-33.

Instead, they took the airframe and filled it in with their own parts and pieces that are modernized, which is why the J-15 is essentially a brand new fighter that simply adopts a Su-33 airframe.

A few American articles also claim that the F-35 will not fare well against adversaries; are those authoritative pointers in the aircraft's true capabilities? Consider those aforementioned points especially in this article, in which the author bases everything on the fact that the J-15 can't take off with a full load on the ski ramp. Ironically, that is caused by the carrier, not the plane.

Last edited:
A few American articles also claim that the F-35 will not fare well against adversaries; are those authoritative pointers in the aircraft's true capabilities? Consider those aforementioned points especially in this article, in which the author bases everything on the fact that the J-15 can't take off with a full load on the ski ramp. Ironically, that is caused by the carrier, not the plane.

I still feel PLAAN screwd up. A heavyweight like j15 is not meant for ramp take off and will be ineffective due to obvious reasons. even the lighter f18 needs a catapult and it can just makeit to full load config

I still feel PLAAN screwd up. A heavyweight like j15 is not meant for ramp take off and will be ineffective due to obvious reasons. even the lighter f18 needs a catapult and it can just makeit to full load config

Well, if they chose to go with the J-15 rather than the originally-proposed twin-engine J-10, they obviously have their reasons. The J-15 would have very long legs and loitering time that are needed for a carrier that ultimately does not carry a lot of aircraft.

thx bro for informing ...

bro can u tell me also that when jf-17 engine chinese made available or i have heard that the proto type already have been flown by chinese engine ? how much time required to be fitted these new engine in jf-17

PLAAF and PLANAF dont even have JF-17. Do you think the Chinese will bother put resources and finance for a domestic engine for JF-17? Unless PAF can come up with cash to finance the Chinese domestic engine for JF-17. If not, a Chinese domestic engine for JF-17 will still be a long way to go and painfully slow.

Chinese has put priority on engine development on WS-10G and WS-15. Other engine project can wait.

Su-33 was chosen because of building nuclear aircraft carriers (Ulyanovsk class). For the "Kuznetsov" and "Varyag" it's too heavy.

The Russian has long known nuclear carrier will not be commission and plan be abandon. But they still choose Su-33 over Mig-29K for their sole carrier. You can twist and hide your sourgrape but the fact is Su-33 is better than Mig-29K. Range and payload are the major factor why Russian decide to opt Su-33 early days.

Well, if they chose to go with the J-15 rather than the originally-proposed twin-engine J-10, they obviously have their reasons. The J-15 would have very long legs and loitering time that are needed for a carrier that ultimately does not carry a lot of aircraft.

you see, J15 was chosen over j10 because the former is the derivative of a proven russian design while the latter has not (or maybe had not) earned the confidence of the PLAAF let alone the PLAAN.
and as i said before, j15 cannot have those "long legs" without a catapult.

Most people dont know this but the chinese carrier is basically a paper tiger meant for prestige and propaganda. the greatest chinese threat from the seas comes from its vast array of conventional and nuke subs and its industrial base and manufacture know how.

trust me iam a military enthusuiast and i know a lot ;)

you see, J15 was chosen over j10 because the former is the derivative of a proven russian design while the latter has not (or maybe had not) earned the confidence of the PLAAF let alone the PLAAN.
and as i said before, j15 cannot have those "long legs" without a catapult.

Being combat-tested or not has no affect on their respective capabilities, which are changed anyways since the Chinese stuck their own technologies in them and brought them to modern levels.

The J-15 still carries more fuel than the J-10 and thus has a far greater striking range and operational radius even if the ski ramp expends a lot of fuel.

Most people dont know this but the chinese carrier is basically a paper tiger meant for prestige and propaganda. the greatest chinese threat from the seas comes from its vast array of conventional and nuke subs and its industrial base and manufacture know how.

Most people "do not know" this because this isn't true. The "Liaoning" is the third largest type of carrier that are operational or soon-operational, after the Nimitz and Ford class. It is also one of the few carriers that has a huge array of modern detection systems that comprise of active phased array radars. It is fitted with the Chinese equivalent of the Sea-RAM, which few navies use, and also the world's largest CIWS weapon. It carries 4.5 generation fighters that also very few nations are capable of having, let alone building. If that carrier is a "paper tiger", then one could imagine what kind of paper cats the Vikramaditya, Charles de Gaulle, and Queen Elizabeth are.

trust me iam a military enthusuiast and i know a lot ;)

After reading the entire post, one starts to have serious doubts about that statement.

Being combat-tested or not has no affect on their respective capabilities, which are changed anyways since the Chinese stuck their own technologies in them and brought them to modern levels.

The J-15 still carries more fuel than the J-10 and thus has a far greater striking range and operational radius even if the ski ramp expends a lot of fuel.

Most people "do not know" this because this isn't true. The "Liaoning" is the third largest type of carrier that are operational or soon-operational, after the Nimitz and Ford class. It is also one of the few carriers that has a huge array of modern detection systems that comprise of active phased array radars. It is fitted with the Chinese equivalent of the Sea-RAM, which few navies use, and also the world's largest CIWS weapon. It carries 4.5 generation fighters that also very few nations are capable of having, let alone building. If that carrier is a "paper tiger", then one could imagine what kind of paper cats the Vikramaditya, Charles de Gaulle, and Queen Elizabeth are.

After reading the entire post, one starts to have serious doubts about that statement.

hmm... looks like your patriotism has clouded your judgement. bye

Of course you know more than some of the smartest men in China:crazy:

The J-15 can take off with full fuel and the whole assortment of air-to-air missiles from the Varyag currently.

It cannot take off with full fuel and the whole assortment of air-to-ground weapons due to the fact that there is no catapult.

For the Varyag, China is happy to have a purely air-to-air fighter that will be able to provide air-cover to the fleet.

Future Chinese carriers, that will have catapults, will allow the J-15 to be utilised to it's maximum capabilities.

More like you are trying to put down Chinese advancement at any cost. We Chinese know what is worth listening and what is pure sourgraped from fanatic who cannot accept rise of China.
i am being pragmatic. this is my area of expertise. if you do some research, you will see that everything i say is true
and i am not dumb enough to "put down Chinese advancement"

11177900533_3b8efb35db_o.jpg
:toast_sign:

Rather than build a catapult carrier, IMO a bigger ski jump carrier is better. I don't trust the reliability of catapults.

Back
Top Bottom