What's new

Shenyang J-15 aircraft carrier-based aircraft

I think it's better for J-15 to be main naval fighter of China until 2030's. The J-15 would be cheaper since it is not stealth.

By 2030, I think J-31 will be a good choice to replace the J-15. J-20 isn't really a good plane to replace J-15, since it is too big and heavy. Also, naval J-20 would need to carry less load, sacrificing it's weapon loadout and range.

If China was to make a V/STOL plane, like Harrier or F-35B, the J-31 would be a good candidate.

In my opinion, China needs 3 CATOBAR carriers and 5 small carriers for V/STOL planes. By 2030, China would need to replace J-15 with J-31.

J-20 is actually smaller than J-15, the perception that it is is large mainly due to the lower vertical height of the canted V tails which made visual illusion that it is a longer than actual length. If you replace the canted V tails with the vertical tails of Flankers, the dramatic visual effect can immediately be observed.

Russia shut down the Su-33 production line in the mid 1990's. They decided to go with Mig-29K.
err..last time i heard, you folks wanted to buy about 50 su-33s from russia. Then after some time you purchased two su33s from ukraine and now you have the j-11 and j-15...
the su-33 and mig 29 were always the hi-lo mix from the soviet/russian perspective back in the day.

err..last time i heard, you folks wanted to buy about 50 su-33s from russia. Then after some time you purchased two su33s from ukraine and now you have the j-11 and j-15...
the su-33 and mig 29 were always the hi-lo mix from the soviet/russian perspective back in the day.

Taking care of heavy fighters on a carrier is not rational from an operations perspective. That was mainly why the Americans ditched the Tomcat and the Russians, the Su-33.

It was rumored that MiG-29K's under Russian service would be sporting AESA radar.

Flankers are....big. Big planes. Big engines. Everything big. It's just too big.

F6F Hellcat was the key to beating A6M AKA Zero in the Pacific. It was big, fast, bad. J-15 remains the world's most capable and most terrifying carrier fighter jet.

Last edited:
Yes, the Russians wanted China to cover the cost of re-opening the Su-33 production line, which was shut down almost a decade earlier. Instead China went to Ukraine to obtain a TK-10 prototype, and developed the J-15.

When was "last time"? 20 years ago?

Taking care of heavy fighters on a carrier is not rational from an operations perspective. That was mainly why the Americans ditched the Tomcat and the Russians, the Su-33.

It was rumored that MiG-29K's under Russian service would be sporting AESA radar.

Flankers are....big. Big planes. Big engines. Everything big. It's just too big.

I was wondering if everyone here were dumb cheerleaders, looks like i was wrong.

you are right. big planes will cause a lot of problems for carrier ops US knows this, Russia knows this, india knows this. PLAN will figure this out in a couple of years

F6F Hellcat was the key to beating A6M AKA Zero in the Pacific. It was big, fast, bad. J-15 remains the world's most capable and most terrifying carrier fighter jet.

:rofl: i realize being in a pakistani forum gives you license to say cr@p like that but lets keep our patriotism in check shall we?

Last edited:
When was "last time"? 20 years ago?
No,as late as 2009 if the following link is to be believed
China can't buy Sukhoi fighter jets - UPI.com

Agree with you on that.If a smaller aircraft with updated technology , even with reduced range can achieve 85-90% operational capability coverage, then smaller is better.

Which begs the question, why is china after this doctrine of sporting larger aircraft? IMHO a naval version of say the j-10 would be an automatic analogue to the mig-29

Im so concerned about chinese engines why they not been able to make it ? while making excellent beast planes.

btw what engine J-15 uses is it Russian made ?

Im so concerned about chinese engines why they not been able to make it ? while making excellent beast planes.

btw what engine J-15 uses is it Russian made ?
China does produce engines, but it cannot produce them quick enough and the military is unhappy with their quality.

China does produce engines, but it cannot produce them quick enough and the military is unhappy with their quality.

Its so bad that to produce a fighter china would have to depend on engines to be ordered it give me feelings if Russia stops exporting engine to China the production process comes to hurdles.

A complete failure

Its so bad that to produce a fighter china would have to depend on engines to be ordered it give me feelings if Russia stops exporting engine to China the production process comes to hurdles.

A complete failure
Failure?

Fighter production would not be halted if Russia did not supply the engines, but it would slow considerably. China can produce the engines, but the production rate cannot keep up with demands. It's a matter of how fast can China build engines, not if it could.

Also, J-15 uses WS-10A for engines, not Russian AL-31F.

First batch of J-15 actually used AL-31F, all production WS-10A are allocated to J-11B, and J-16. WS-10A is a new engine that needs many more years to prove its maturity and PLAN would not take risk since you will have problem during emergerncy landing at sea. Land base jets have the advantage of landing at any nearby airfield, in open sea the option is very much limited.

Also bear in mind that J-15 is only a stop-gap aircraft that may not warrant too much investment, future aircraft carrier borne jets will be either navalised J-20 and/or J-31. And the timing is very important, by the time other PLAN aircraft carriers are commissioned, J-20 and J-31 will also be operational.

Back
Top Bottom