What's new

Shenyang J-15 aircraft carrier-based aircraft

Since at least - by my understanding - China and the PLA, esp. the PLAN won't be active in any out-of-area actions like the proposed one. IMO China will surely intervene within the Indian Ocean up to the African coast but never within my lifespan further into the Atlantic and South America's coast, end even if, it will never fight guerrilla warriors with J-15s.

But now he once again managed to drivel the discussion so much off topic ... let's stick to the J-15 and its likely operations, and not into such fantasies.
Sure. You are correct. China like a boxer, knew our strength and weakness. Where to hit, what to be avoided to save energy.

Since at least - by my understanding - China and the PLA, esp. the PLAN won't be active in any out-of-area actions like the proposed one. IMO China will surely intervene within the Indian Ocean up to the African coast but never within my lifespan further into the Atlantic and South America's coast, end even if, it will never fight guerrilla warriors with J-15s.

But now he once again managed to drivel the discussion so much off topic ... let's stick to the J-15 and its likely operations, and not into such fantasies.
Why? How can you be sure? I hope you arent the chinese president hiding in disguise??

To be honest we arent sure?

China is dictatorship now ..if the presedent thinks this can change..

They certainly have the economy and technology to do it in next 5-10 years (i hope your life span is not that short!!) when they will have four carriers second to only USA.

If rumours of catapult launch are true then all the ingredients are there.

To be honest i see USA involvment less and less

It is massively unpopular and rightly so..USA spent a trillion dollars eslewhere whcih is badly needed at home and USA is democracy

It would be death wish for any politician to get involve in ANY war..there is simply no public apetite

I would say its like WW1-WW2 situation where USA ignored europe

We are entring that stage. I belive the likely hood of china and russia going to war is several folds more then usa going to war

If any trump just proved that..

Had biden even hinted of war policy different then trump he would have LOST by large margin instead of wining by short margin

Some cool pictures of the J-15

From 逆襲 @horobeyo on 2020.12.20:

山东舰上的歼15
图自微博空天砺剑

The J-15 on aircraft carrier Shandong CV-17
Images from @空天砺剑 at Weibo

J-15 on aircraft carrier Shandong CV-17 by 空天砺剑 at Weibo - Dec2020 01.jpg

J-15 on aircraft carrier Shandong CV-17 by 空天砺剑 at Weibo - Dec2020 02.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Henri Kenhmann at East Pendulum on 2020.12.20:

Interesting configuration of a J-15 on the aircraft carrier 17 Shandong, with at least 2 YK-83KH anti-ship missiles and 4 PL-12 missiles.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it? The US regularly states that it would militarily support its allies in the western Pacific, why wouldn't China fight to support future allies in South America? Although at that point in time, I would hope the J-15 had been retired from service.

Based on the articles I read, the military spokesperson said in his statement that J-15 will stay as PLAN conventional weapons platform for air to air and air to ground. He added that J-15B with AESA, WS10 would serve on new aircraft carriers with EMALS. Optronic FLIR targeting pod can be carried externally for air to ground search and destroy capabilities (under situation where GPS target designation not suitable) are to be added later making them comparable or better than US F/A-18E and French Rafale M. He added the J-15B has far better combat radius, aerodynamic and speed increasing PLAN combat capabilities.

He mulled possible future plan of having tandem dual seat J-15BS for air to ground roles and hopefully ECM counterpart of US EF-18G Growler. They will serve alongside navalized stealth fighter J-35 on the new upcoming aircraft carriers.
Some cool pictures of the J-15

From 逆襲 @horobeyo on 2020.12.20:

山东舰上的歼15
图自微博空天砺剑

The J-15 on aircraft carrier Shandong CV-17
Images from @空天砺剑 at Weibo

View attachment 698520

View attachment 698519

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Henri Kenhmann at East Pendulum on 2020.12.20:

Interesting configuration of a J-15 on the aircraft carrier 17 Shandong, with at least 2 YK-83KH anti-ship missiles and 4 PL-12 missiles.

When new aircraft carrier with EMALS entered service, J-15B would be carrying more fuel and armaments having greater payload on maximum take off weight than F/A-18E and F-35C.

IMO the two under the intakes are YJ-91 and the AAMs are PL-12, not -15

View attachment 698542
My mistake, they are PL-12 AAM.

Also, the units in service are probably like
1) 01 to 24 (one unit of 24 aircraft, or two units with 12 aircraft, or 3 units with 8 aircraft each)
2) 3X
3) 6X

Question is how many aircrafts are in 3X and 6X units.
Assuming if
1) each unit has 8 aircraft, then there are 40 J15 at full strength.
2) each unit has 12 aircraft, then at full strength there are 48 J15.
3) each unit has 24 aircraft, then there will be/are 72 J15 at full strength.

PLAN having electronic warfare jamming J-15D will be good advantage to counter threat of EF-18G jamming. Missile and radar effectiveness will be reduced under ECM jamming as shown in Iraq and Serbia war. Iraqi mirage F1, Mig-25, Mig-29, mig-23 could only get the medium range missiles to work below 15 miles due to ECM from EA-6B and EF-111A. ECCM is vital for radar and missiles. How many ECM pods will be carried under wings? EF-18G carries 5 pods. J-15D is larger and could carry 5 or more, could even carry PL-10E & PL-15 for self defense.

Back
Top Bottom