What's new

Shashi Tharoor Vs Vikram Sampath: Debating Heritage, History & Hubris | India Today Conclave 2021

The whole indian conversation is around mughals ghoris and ghaznavid.. what about the indo scythian and kushan invasion of present day india.. indo scythians actually were destroyers of the vedic belief.they were not muslims. Southern indians have similar grudges against northern indians. all these invasions were more about resources or political power. Indian muslims will continue hailing a foreign occupier because as minority that's their only defence mechanism. If you want to completely get rid of them make them a new country , dont try to convert them to obey hindutva it will be detrimental to india..A foreign occupier should be looked at without emotions and they should be consided a part of history and lessons should be learnt out of history.. an invasion can be good or bad for locals.it's a matter of perspective. Invasions on a local tyrant ruler were always welcomed by Indians.. ..back in day they invaded with swords today they invade with trade and capital.
yeah whatever, troll.

We're India, you can think whatever you want.

That's a weak one but understandable as you dont know history of pakistan and like every dumb simp today youthinks it was a part of india.A large chunk of present day pakistan was part of the very first Persian empire(Acheamanid), the region was under influence of the lingo for centuries due to proximity and later the modern khorasani persian(mostly during medieval and the conquest era upto mughals.

Secondly Pakistan was not a name given to us by an outsider. Unlike your case.
Learn the difference.
India’s official name is भारत गणराज्य, in english it’s called Republic of India.

Lol.. what butthurt.. makes no difference to my health
We don't have problem with the name India. It's a well known name, officially we have two names Bharat and India just like Japan has Nippon and Japan.

Somehow you seem to have a problem with the name India. Well you got to deal with it, because nobody cares who gave those names it's going to stick with us. India, Indians

We don't have problem with the name India. It's a well known name, officially we have two names Bharat and India just like Japan has Nippon and Japan.

Somehow you seem to have a problem with the name India. Well you got to deal with it, because nobody cares who gave those names it's going to stick with us. India, Indians
India’s official name is भारत गणराज्य, in english it’s called Republic of India.

India doesn't have a national language...you folks dohave a lingua franca? .wait that's English.. so why are u using bharat word of hindi or whatever language it is to denote a nation knowing very well south dont use/like to use it...

India doesn't have a national language...you folks dohave a lingua franca? .wait that's English.. so why are u using bharat word of hindi or whatever language it is to denote a nation knowing very well south dont use/like to use it...
Now you're talking gibberish.
We have 23 official languages. English and Hindi are official language of the Union government each state has it's own official language. Bharat is a sanskrit word and we are using it because we can.
South Indians use it too.

Britain was the name used by Romans to identify the island which contains today's England, Scotland and Wales. England is derived from Anglia, a region in northern Germany. France takes its name from Franks, a germanic tribe. America takes its name from an Italian whom nobody gives a flying F about now. Russia takes it name from 'Kievan Rus', with its origins in Ukraine. I can myself R2D2 or The Glorious Empire of the Righteous, it all means nothing if in reality I am a retard.

Britain was the name used by Romans to identify the island which contains today's England, Scotland and Wales. England is derived from Anglia, a region in northern Germany. France takes its name from Franks, a germanic tribe. America takes its name from an Italian whom nobody gives a flying F about now. Russia takes it name from 'Kievan Rus', with its origins in Ukraine. I can myself R2D2 or The Glorious Empire of the Righteous, it all means nothing if in reality I am a retard.
Ur missing a very important point on this analogy.. british german and french are brothers from the same mother.. their royalties inter married they are neighbors.. same goes for , russians and Ukrainian ... how the heck are u comparing that to britain and india (master and slave). Anglo indians are a very small minority. hindustan makes more sense as central asia is nearer but india needs to find a commonality and common legacy to stand on.. this is serious..
Now you're talking gibberish.
We have 23 official languages. English and Hindi are official language of the Union government each state has it's own official language. Bharat is a sanskrit word and we are using it because we can.
South Indians use it too.
I'm talking about national language. India has no national language. You use english as lingua franca.
Sanskrit is not endorsed in south. Dravidian languages are different from indo aryan sanskrit.

Last edited:
In my state Kerala, India is called Bharatam.
In Bodo its called Bharot
In Bengali its called Bharot
In Assamese its called Bharot
In Hindi its called Bharat
In Gujarati its called Bharat
In Kannada its called Bharata (last a is not pronounced as “aa” but a subtle “a”)
In Kashmiri its called Bharat (original) / Hindustan (loanword)
In Konkani its called Bharot
In Maithili its Bharat
In Marathi its Bharat
In Manipuri its Bharot
In Dogri its called Bharat
In Nepali its called Bharat
In Odia its called Bharata (last a is not pronounced as “aa” but a subtle “a”)
In Punjabi its called Bharat
In Sanskrit its called Bharatam
In Santali its called Bharot
In Sindhi its called Bharat (original) /Hindustan (loanword) (depends on which side of the border you’re speaking).
In Tamil its called Bharatam
In Telugu its called Bharata (last a is not pronounced as “aa” but a subtle “a”)
In Urdu its called Bharat/Hindustan

And in any other language or dialect in India, its called Bharat or relative word only.
I think it clears your doubts

Last edited:
Ur missing a very important point on this analogy.. british german and french are brothers from the same mother.. their royalties inter married they are neighbors.. same goes for , russians and Ukrainian ... how the heck are u comparing that to britain and india (master and slave). Anglo indians are a very small minority. hindustan makes more sense as central asia is nearer but india needs to find a commonality and common legacy to stand on.. this is serious..

It is not different in the case of Europeans. Romans invaded what they called Britain and the name stuck. Anglo Saxons invaded Britain and the name England stuck. Franks invaded Gaul and the name stuck. The name Russia is used from Moscow to Vladivostok whereas in reality the people who inhabit the vast land are heterogenous and not all descended from the Romanov family. Not all are Slavs either.

My point is that this is pointless. We can have a perfectly logical name for ourselves but it all means very little in the end if it is only about name and little else. Most Indians have no problems with the name India, regardless of its origins and that is what matters. There are some right wing folk who have started using the word 'Bharat' exclusively, but to each his own. All these names are ours and are used interchangeably. No one bats an eyelid.

British gave you your country ,lets get rid of it first.

India word is derived from Indus and is much older than britishers in India, you should read outside the madrassa.
.the. chaos of 1946 and nehru attitude after direct action plan gave us Pakistan..britishers had no mood for division till 1946..it was just a matter of months things turned around..special thanks to abu kalam.. mount batten (your first governor general) used to bad mouth jinnah till the day IRA got him. Get rid of british?? first reach the ceiling before reaching for sky.

Indus doesnt flow through india. Neither is taxila in india. Neither the heart of the valley.

.....britishers had no mood for division till 1946......

Britishers were in no mood of partitioning, even in early 1947. Mountbatten kept on trying to revive Cabinet Mission Plan, after his arrival, for quite some time.

... mount batten (your first governor general) used to bad mouth jinnah till the day IRA got him.

Mountbatten had a great sympathy for Congress and Nehru. Relationship between Nehru and Lady Edwina were with full knowledge and consent of Mountbatten. He was a sort of regular cuckold.

It is not different in the case of Europeans. Romans invaded what they called Britain and the name stuck. Anglo Saxons invaded Britain and the name England stuck. Franks invaded Gaul and the name stuck. The name Russia is used from Moscow to Vladivostok whereas in reality the people who inhabit the vast land are heterogenous and not all descended from the Romanov family. Not all are Slavs either.

My point is that this is pointless. We can have a perfectly logical name for ourselves but it all means very little in the end if it is only about name and little else. Most Indians have no problems with the name India, regardless of its origins and that is what matters. There are some right wing folk who have started using the word 'Bharat' exclusively, but to each his own. All these names are ours and are used interchangeably. No one bats an eyelid.
The thing about europe is they had been killing and looting each other pretty much like subcontinent.. but at the same time they stood up together on various occasions..yet they gave each other space by having their own independent territory and tried to revive euro only now .. india on the other hand seems to be going in reverse. India has a very weak center with new states popping up every now and then and for a reason it has a red corridor and a a long list of secccesionists
muslims use hindustan
Far Right hindus use bharat
South and left wing uses india.
If north asks for Aryavarta south may ask for meluha or jambudweep. Etc.
If they dont care then just keep bharat as official name and get rid of this albatros of imperials around u.
In my state Kerala, India is called Bharatam.
In Bodo its called Bharot
In Bengali its called Bharot
In Assamese its called Bharot
In Hindi its called Bharat
In Gujarati its called Bharat
In Kannada its called Bharata (last a is not pronounced as “aa” but a subtle “a”)
In Kashmiri its called Bharat (original) / Hindustan (loanword)
In Konkani its called Bharot
In Maithili its Bharat
In Marathi its Bharat
In Manipuri its Bharot
In Dogri its called Bharat
In Nepali its called Bharat
In Odia its called Bharata (last a is not pronounced as “aa” but a subtle “a”)
In Punjabi its called Bharat
In Sanskrit its called Bharatam
In Santali its called Bharot
In Sindhi its called Bharat (original) /Hindustan (loanword) (depends on which side of the border you’re speaking).
In Tamil its called Bharatam
In Telugu its called Bharata (last a is not pronounced as “aa” but a subtle “a”)
In Urdu its called Bharat/Hindustan

And in any other language or dialect in India, its called Bharat or relative word only.
I think it clears your doubts
If that's correct then what's stopping u from keeping bharat as country's official name?

Last edited:
Listen comrade with all due respect
Bharat comes from the name of an ancestor of kaurava and pandava from mahabharat ,Bharat means the cherished one and the region is called bharatvarsha .
Now since India is a Hindu country , everybody knows this thing .
Plus the languages in southern India are not far away from sanskrit , just like Hindi . Telugu ,Kannada malayalam or any other languages borrow heavily from Sanskrit plus all major Hindu epics have been translated in regional languages , Hinduism binds us , that's all.
I am From North , sudarsahn is from Kerala , yet we have these things in common.
Hence Bharat is the most common name for India , plus another name is jamvudwip , the land between Western and eastern seas .
India it self is described by megasthanes as a land bounded by seas on two sides .
I hope I have made myself clear
That's why we don't use words like Hindustan or hind , these words seem archaic and some liberals use such words.
Most people down south , know hindi too

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom