What's new

Shankaracharya Hill renamed as Takht-e-Suleiman by secular ASI

adwityagrata

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Good news for secular Indians.

The 2500 years old Jyesteshwara Shiva temple in Kashmir near Dal Lake and the hill on which it is located has now summarily been renamed as Takht-e-Suleiman !

Shankaracharya_temple.jpg

This was the Temple and hill on which Adi Shankaracharya in 800 AD meditated and had religious discourse and debate with the then greatest scholar of Shaivism, Pandit Abhinavgupta and defeated him thus paving way for spreading Advaita philosophy in North India. Adi Shankaracharya himself installed the Shivling in this temple. This was the place where the worship of shakti was reintroduced to India.

Kashmir was the place where Swaraswati (Sharada) is said to have resided. Here is a verse from Saraswati Stuti.

Namaste sharade devi kashmirapuravasini, tvamaham prarthaye nityam vidya-danam cha dehi me.

Its translation is "I bow to you, Goddess Sharada, the one who Resides in the Kashmir, I pray to you daily, please give me the charity of knowledge. "

Now this Hill has been renamed as Takht-e-Suleiman or "Throne of Soloman" !!

There is record of King Gopaditya (426–365 BC) repairing this temple and later King King Lalitaditya (697–734). But the plaque installed by ASI at the temple now says that the roof of the temple was constructed by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in 1644 AD :cheesy:

The irony is that Shah Jahan actually destroyed the shiv lingam inside the temple and the Shiv lingam was later replaced by the Dogra rulers of Kashmir.

One more step close to becoming a fully 'Secular' state. It gets better every year :enjoy:

Last edited:
These useless Psuedo Seculars are hell bent on creating a religious divide .... Hope they burn in hell

Its interesting that Modi supporters are posting old stuff at a time when there is debate over Modi's statement on kashmir

That is exactly why I am posting it, Where is the confusion ?

BTW this news is only one month old. As usual it was ignored by all the major newspapers for 'secular' reasons.

Pandits accuse ASI of distorting facts Oppose renaming of Shankaracharya Hill as Throne of SolomonSumit Hakhoo/TNS

jk5.jpg

The Shankaracharya Temple in Srinagar
Jammu, September 23
Displaced Kashmiri Pandits have accused the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) of distorting the history of ancient monuments in the Kashmir valley by presenting wrong information.

They have decided to submit a detailed representation to the ASI, urging it to correct historical facts on information boards installed at various places in Kashmir, particularly at Shankaracharya Hill, now renamed as Takht-e-Suleiman (Throne of Solomon).

The hill lies in Srinagar overlooking the Dal Lake. Ancient records say Adi Shankaracharya (788-820 AD) lived, meditated and had religious discourse with Abhinavgupta, a great scholar of Shaivism, in Kashmir, paving the way for acceptance of Shakti cult in Hinduism across the subcontinent and formation of Advaita philosophy.

“It is a matter of great concern that ASI has given the name Takht-e-Suleiman (Throne of Solomon) to it, replacing the earlier plaque. How have they come to this conclusion warrants an answer,” said Predhuman K Joseph Dhar, an expert on ancient Kashmir history. He said recently a European historian visited the place and expressed surprise over information provided to the people.

“While the plaque informs the people that the roof of the temple was constructed by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in 1644 AD, there is no mention of King Gopadhari, who constructed the temple, King Lalitaditya, who renovated it several hundred years before the arrival of Islam in the 13th century, and Dogra rulers, who placed the lingam of Lord Shiva, which was destroyed at the orders of Jehangir's wife Noor Jehan,” said Dhar.

When contacted, Conservation Assistant Fayaz Ahmed, who looks after the Shankaracharya temple, said the historical research was conducted by a team of historians at the ASI. “We only implement whatever directions or changes in records have to be done. Only senior officers can say anything on what real history is,” he said. Superintending Archaeologist KC Nauryal was not available for comment.

Talking about the name Takht-e-Suleiman, New York-based historian and author of “Jesus in Kashmir- The Lost Tomb’, Suzanne Olsson, said at one time Kashmir was controlled by Jews and Suleiman referred to Solomon, King of Israel and one of the greatest Jewish rulers, known for his wisdom and riches. “In ancient times, there was a considerable influence of Hebrew people in Kashmir. Several places have names similar to Jewish places. But historically, it is referred to as Shankaracharya Hill,” Olsson said.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Jammu & Kashmir

Isnt Takht-e-Suleiman a jewish name?

That is exactly why I am posting it, Where is the confusion ?

BTW this news is only one month old. As usual it was ignored by all the major newspapers for 'secular' reasons.

lollz September it was and now its December.

anyway your political gimmick wont fetch you votes but its indeed aimed at creating communal rift

Isnt Takht-e-Suleiman a jewish name?

;) Ibrahamic one.

it means the throne of Prophet Suleman (solomon) PBUH

Embarrassing to have abrahamic stuffs in this great land

Wrong move by ASI . They should revert it back asap .

anyway your political gimmick wont fetch you votes but its indeed aimed at creating communal rift

It is aimed at spreading Awareness.

Do you think spreading Awareness will create a communal rift ? :azn: ...........so in short for communal peace and promote 'secularism' we need to Lie, Hide Facts and be Hypocrites.

Sorry I am not buying into such crap.

It is aimed at spreading Awareness.

Do you think spreading Awareness will create a communal rift ? :azn: ...........so in short for communal peace and promote 'secularism' we need to Lie, Hide Facts and be Hypocrites.

Sorry I am not buying into such crap.

And what is awareness if you care to state the real facts here ? ;)

BTW whats wrong with renaming it to the actual person who repaired it ? ;)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom