Shanghai and Mumbai railway stations compared

Swiss_Zurich_RailwayStation.jpg

Zurich Railway Station

Mumbai_Train_Station.jpg

Mumbai Railway Station

shanghai_railway_station_01.jpg

Shanghai Railway Station

Guess which one's the ugliest?

Just focusing on the stations I quite like the inside of the mumbai terminus, it has a very bygone era feel like the Singapore Train terminal
Singapore Railway Station | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the picture of Singapore Train Terminal. It definitely has a character and classicism about it. Even Grand Central Station has that to some extent.
Modern steel and glass buildings lack that------ they just have a sleek and sophisticated anonymity, one looks like another.

Thanks for the picture of Singapore Train Terminal. It definitely has a character and classicism about it. Even Grand Central Station has that to some extent.
Modern steel and glass buildings lack that------ they just have a sleek and sophisticated anonymity, one looks like another.

Thanks, unfortunately after the 1st of July this year it will cease to function as a train terminal anymore and become another historical building, and then after some meddlesome person in the govt decides to paint it then it will truly have lost its charm.

I think to be practical in todays environmental with the increasing amount of people using trains plus the pollution glass and steel is probably the way to go in terms of letting light in, reduction of maintenance etc. But practically doesn't bring any charm unfortunately but its quite avoidable in todays world.

That said I'm quite a railway fan so I'll have to visit the Mumbai train terminus in the future just in case the GOI decides to do what the SG govt is doing

If you want to keep India out of there misery and yourself out of there obsession, then say, India have the best stations and trains in the world

Until they come up with something else :P

we can't have such ticket price competition with india, the operational costs here is completely different. e.g. in Shanghai, an unskilled migrant worker get paid for $400-500/month and the employer needs to provide lunch.

so such a worker's monthly income can buy 20 single tickets from Shanghai to Beijing (1463km). the train is not that fancy, but the condition is still far better than what I saw in india.

Ticket price, distance about the mentioned Shanghai to Beijing train.
1461|1461´Î»ð³µÊ±¿Ì±í|1461´ÎÁгµ²éѯ

train condition:
20099994902.jpg

See such large distances create economies of scale. But in Indian metroes also the 0.008$/km price applies and the minimum fare is 0.025$. Is it the same in Shanghai? I am just interested in the fare rates. I wont argue with you more because as I said earlier I agree with your points. BTW Indian minimum wages come to around 100$ per month.

@Anonymous User : Dont worry buddy. Mumbai station is here to stay as long as humanity lives or until the roof collapses. GOIs will only be interested in changing its name.

Thanks, unfortunately after the 1st of July this year it will cease to function as a train terminal anymore and become another historical building, and then after some meddlesome person in the govt decides to paint it then it will truly have lost its charm.

I think to be practical in todays environmental with the increasing amount of people using trains plus the pollution glass and steel is probably the way to go in terms of letting light in, reduction of maintenance etc. But practically doesn't bring any charm unfortunately but its quite avoidable in todays world.

That said I'm quite a railway fan so I'll have to visit the Mumbai train terminus in the future just in case the GOI decides to do what the SG govt is doing

What a pity. If it is not going to be used as a railroad station, hope its not demolished as part of a redevelopment. Though I feel that Singapore Govt. is sensitive to such issues. Over the years, I've seen the redevelopment (say) of Tanjong Pagar and Beach Road/Arab Street areas. Tanjong Pagar got demolished while the latter got preserved with some sanitizing. The Station building can be retained as it is and some other use could be found for the structure as it is.

About the Station in Bombay nothing will happen to it, for two reasons:
There is no alternative to the station, though train movements are being shifted to suburban satellite terminii.
The Building is now protected as a heritage site and the conservationist lobby is very strong in that city, they are steadily pushing the govt. to roll back the internal changes made to the building over the years; and succeding!

Even by glass-steel yardstick Sanghai looks kinda ugly, why did they not built a pretty structure?

Even by glass-steel yardstick Sanghai looks kinda ugly, why did they not built a pretty structure?
They try to beat the west's best in there own game. While west had them for more than 60-70 years now and when chinese finally built the same 7-12 years ago. they feel like they have the best. I hope we won't go in the same steps of chinese in bulding our infrastructure based on 60-70 year old designs. although i like how Banglore had been uniquely designed as it stands out our own creation not some western envious mentality.

Back
Top Bottom