What's new

Shame For India

LOL. Hindus in India have grown up hearing abuse and denigration of Hinduism day in day out. No Hindu is going to loose sleep after a simple criticism. :lol:

That was quite obvious after seeing the knee jerking reactions from the vanguards of Hinduism :D

I get that, but it was the Brits alone who held the authority to ban and enforce that ban on Sati. Narendra Dabholkar is much in the same vein as Raja Ram Mohan Roy, a social reformer.
please i would request you not to compare Raja Rammohan Roy who is still known as the "Father of the modern Indian Renaissance" with any tom,dick or harry.even the Brits used to have enormous amount of respect for this great man and even after 170 years after his death,residents of Bristol(place where he died in England still pay their respect to him.......

After Maha passed that law, karnataka did it, banning black magic. Good work.

Superstition has nothing to do with geography....North India is just as f**ked up.

Well i agree, North is just as fucked up as South if not more, but the issues that plague the North Indian society are different. North Indian society is more regressive, but less superstitious if that's possible? Dowry, female infanticide, casteism are some of the social evils in the north, but superstition not so much.

I mean you d be hard-pressed to find someone doing this in North India.

S-Sreesanth-is-weighed-against-bananas.jpg

I don't know what it is. Is it because the South Indians have more money, therefore don't mind spending a bit of money for peace of mind? I mean isn't that what superstition is all about? Why do people believe in superstition, for peace of mind right?

Oh No. That was not Knee Jerk but resurgent Hindus giving a resounding KICK to a few who deserve it.

Its going to get a lot worse in the coming years, so better get padded :D

Well,is that a "Modified" threat or what?:rofl: This is something new. Once a Nutjob threatened to deport me to Bangladesh,but this is new and am loving it.

By the way,Can you please elaborate my lord,what do I have to do to awake the dead Hindu inside me? (assuming am a North Indian):cheesy:

please i would request you not to compare Raja Rammohan Roy who is still known as the "Father of the modern Indian Renaissance" with any tom,dick or harry.even the Brits used to have enormous amount of respect for this great man and even after 170 years after his death,residents of Bristol(place where he died in England still pay their respect to him.......

I said that Mr Dabholkar was in the same vein as RRMR, meaning their stated ambitions were similar. I never said their achievements were the same. Anna Hazare being compared to Gandhiji doesn't mean they were equals, just that their goals and the means to achieve them were similar.

Well i agree, North is just as fucked up as South if not more, but the issues that plague the North Indian society are different. North Indian society is more regressive, but less superstitious if that's possible? Dowry, female infanticide, casteism are some of the social evils in the north, but superstition not so much.

I mean you d be hard-pressed to find someone doing this in North India.

S-Sreesanth-is-weighed-against-bananas.jpg

I don't know what it is. Is it because the South Indians have more money, therefore don't mind spending a bit of money for peace of mind? I mean isn't that what superstition is all about? Why do people believe in superstition, for peace of mind right?

Hey, this isn't a superstitious belief! This practice dates from medieval times and is prevalent in many parts of India. Earlier, during special occasions, the Kings/nobles would engage in philanthropy. Gifts equal in weight of the King would be offered to Temples or to the poor/needy.

People seeking help from Aghori babas is much more common in the North, isn't it? I guess you've heard about the Karni mata temple in Rajastan. Pretty yucky stuff that!

Last edited:
Is it safe to say to that South Indians are more superstitious than North Indians?(Don't attack me for this). Cause honeslty, I am from Varanasi, its like a hub of Hinduism, and I have never ever heard or seen anyone falling for the tricks of these fake babas.
Superstition has nothing to do with geography....North India is just as f**ked up.

Correction, Superstition has no boundaries .... rest of the world (including developed world) is as f**ked up.

Correction, Superstition has no boundaries .... rest of the world (including developed world) is as f**ked up.

I swear! But this was more on the lines of superstitions in Hinduism...our minorities have their on set of miracles to deal with!

A melodramatic title I know but:
It is a darn shame that this man's murderers hasn't been found.

There is no shame in acknowledging the issues in our society. These issue are heartening but there is nothing to fee shame about it.

On contrary we must take pride in improvement (could be better) we brought to our society in past few decades.

I not sure why we NRIs start talking about issues (apparently not a bad thing, it's good to know our issues) and whine rather talk about improvements made, can be made and contribute to betterment of society.

Bros.. no PEP talk do something before taking higher moral ground and do not become NATO (No Action But Talk only) :sarcastic:

Dear come to Shivaji Nagar area in Bangalore and you will see many trusts that run these kind of black magic stuff. They even advertise in TV saying.."XY Baba" complete realization of your dream guaranteed.

Dear come to Shivaji Nagar area in Bangalore and you will see many trusts that run these kind of black magic stuff. They even advertise in TV saying.."XY Baba" complete realization of your dream guaranteed.

Seriously! Every local cable channel is full of these dhongis promising all kinds of vasheekarana etc....What's more, they're all over Bangalore too. Many of them sit inside their portable tents and sell all kinds of crazy stuff as medicines and 'mantrified' totems.

Hey, this isn't a superstitious belief! This practice dates from medieval times and is prevalent in many parts of India. Earlier, during special occasions, the Kings/nobles would engage in philanthropy. Gifts equal in weight of the King would be offered to Temples or to the poor/needy.

People seeking help from Aghori babas is much more common in the North, isn't it? I guess you've heard about the Karni mata temple in Rajastan. Pretty yucky stuff that!

Maybe, the line between religious/social practices and superstition is very blurred in South India, making it hard to differentiate. I mean when you look at some of the Hindu rituals in Malaysia or Indonesia, it throws you off.

And please, am not trying to take a dig at South Indians are anything, I was just sharing my observation, so lets not start North Indians have this and that and blah blah blah. As for the Aghoris they are hardly mainstream, infact social outcasts.

Seriously! Every local cable channel is full of these dhongis promising all kinds of vasheekarana etc....What's more, they're all over Bangalore too. Many of them sit inside their portable tents and sell all kinds of crazy stuff as medicines and 'mantrified' totems.

Despite being communist, in China you'll find many dhongis like this.

Bottom line no part of the world is immune to superstitions.

So take issue one by one and take pride in actions taken to eradicate them, no need to feel shame for practice exist and rarely practiced by bunch of peoples.

Maybe, the line between religious/social practices and superstition is very blurred in South India, making it hard to differentiate. I mean when you look at some of the Hindu rituals in Malaysia or Indonesia, it throws you off.

And please, am not trying to take a dig at South Indians are anything, I was just sharing my observation, so lets not start North Indians have this and that and blah blah blah. As for the Aghoris they are hardly mainstream, infact social outcasts.

Yeah... local customs vary everywhere...but as long as they're harmless, they seem to be tolerated, however twisted they are.

I never took your words as anything against South Indians. Maybe it's because I'm S.Indian myself that I don't feel all that lost at seeing some practices and it's the other way with you wrt North India.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom