What's new

Shahid Afridi to lead, official announcement tomorrow

Afridi is an over rated player. He just swings the bat and bites ball.

I feel yusuf is better choice.

No people skill from Yousif he is a real gamar when it comes to people skills -he can't communicate or relate to his teammates not captain material his performance was zero as captain

Wasim Akram backs Afridi as captain

Former captain Wasim Akram said that the appointment of Shahid Afridi as captain of the Pakistan team for the Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies is the right choice.

“Afridi has been captaining Pakistan in T20 internationals and under the circumstances he is the best man to lead the team in the Caribbean. He has a lot of energy and this format of the game needs his aggressive mindset,” Akram said.

Akram, however, cautioned Afridi to control his emotions as the nation’s prestige will be in his hands during the World Cup starting on April 30.

“Surely, he will now be thinking about the World Cup because the nation’s prestige will be in his hands. He just has to control his wildfire emotions. Afridi may have earned Pakistan some bad name by the chewing-the-ball incident in Perth in January, but all that is forgotten now,” Akram wrote in his column for ESPNStarsports.com.

Akram said, “Afridi has two able allies in the shape of coaches Waqar Younis and Ijaz Ahmed who understand the game and the body language of the players much better than others. Afridi has a few advantages with coaches Waqar and Ijaz. I think this is the best team management Pakistan can ask for.”

“I am happy for Waqar. He always wanted to be the coach of Pakistan. And why not? Waqar has played the game at the highest level; he knows the modern methods and can be a hard task master. Ijaz has been one of Pakistan’s brilliant all-rounders and is a good motivator. This combination should work well,” he added.

Akram said he was always available for the team and if Waqar calls him for the camps, he will be happy to go and share a few thoughts with the bowlers.

“Well, I am always available for the Pakistan team. Unlike many of our senior cricketers, I am not hankering for money from the PCB. I am available for free as long as my professional commitments are not compromised,” he said.

“Not much time is left for the World Cup. Mental conditioning, regimented training and discipline will be factors to succeed. T20 is not an easy game. Shorter the version less is the margin for error. But Pakistan has the ingredients to explode on the world scene once again. Go for it, boys,” he said.

leadership skills are different than your batting skills. I wonder why people just look at Afridi's batting? He's NOT a batsman. He is a bowler who can also bat, and whenever his batting clicks, it gives a bonus to Pakistani team. On top of that, he's a very fine fielder with some good leadership qualities. What else do we need from a cricketer? A complete package of cricket in my opinion. All in one. :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom