What's new

Featured SH15 Artillery in Pakistan

Not in mountains, but in plains and desert

Considering India's armour/mechanized forces numerical advantage, what shell would you recommend to counter it.

SADARM type shells or laser guided 155 mm shells?

Some more Indian sources confirming our acquisition of Sh15 howitzers. Although they are mentioning 236 units but internal sources suggest procurement will be 300 plus technology transfer to build more.

http://idrw.org/china-overhauls-pakistan-firepower-to-supply-236-howitzer-guns/

47032339_1773088152818875_7113412899644637184_n.jpg

Last edited:
Some international news outlets also confirming our purchase of SH15 Howitzers.
For many years, Pakistani armed forces are in the process to strengthen its artillery capability, especially with a new more mobile artillery solution. According to the SIPRI Arms Transfer Database, Pakistan has already purchased 36 SH1 155mm wheeled self-propelled howitzers from Chine in 2013-2014.

In November 2018, during IDEAS, the International Defense Exhibition in Karachi, Chinese Company NORINCO China North Industries Group Corporation Limited has presented its latest generation of 155mm wheeled self-propelled howitzer named SH15. This is a new artillery vehicle that was unveiled during AirShow China in November 2018.

Currently, the Pakistani army operates the M109A5, a tracked self-propelled howitzer manufactured by the United States but Pakistan would continue the modernization of its artillery force with new wheeled artillery systems. For the Pakistani Army, the ideal might be to procure an even lighter weapon, one that can be carried by its utility helicopters using an external sling.

The SH15 is a new Chinese-made wheeled self-propelled howitzer based on 6x6 Shaanxi truck chassis with an armored cabin at the front and one 155 mm gun-howitzer mounted at the rear of the truck. This new howitzer is protected against the firing of small arms and artillery shell splinters. The crew cab has two large bulletproof windows at the front and there are two doors on each side.

The SH15 has a maximum firing range of 20 km with standard ammunition and 53 km with a rocket-assisted artillery projectile. This artillery vehicle can be operated by a crew of five. According to some military sources, the vehicle will have a maximum weight of 22 tons.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/dec...eeled_self-propelled_howitzer_from_china.html

Considering India's armour/mechanized forces numerical advantage, what shell would you recommend to counter it.

SADARM type shells or laser guided 155 mm shells?

Indian armor Numerical advantage needs lots of AT weapons from PA. Artillery can use indirect fire also. SADARM rounds are good if used. Modern shells are guided, preferable GPS. Laser needs Lasing from a third entity.

Indian armor Numerical advantage needs lots of AT weapons from PA. Artillery can use indirect fire also. SADARM rounds are good if used. Modern shells are guided, preferable GPS. Laser needs Lasing from a third entity.

I knew about the basic types but wanted to get an idea w.r.t which would be more preferable considering factors like cost and response time (SADARM or laser even though they need 3rd party guidance).

I did not quote GPS as I am not considering stationery tanks in staging area but those deployed and mobile.

Image simulation of the system along the border shows how it brings a significant boost to Pakistani defences.
EMi-mz8UEAEnaM1

Artillery placed in Sialkot sector can cut off indian supplies from NH-44 Highway, thus effectively cutting the connection of IOK from the mainland India and cutting off supplies of gangu army. Add Air superiority of PAF in the sky, PA can drop paratroopers and fighting material to the kashmiris and thrust from Azad Kashmir simulaneously to toast IA sitting there to liberate IOK! Any opinions?

Artillery placed in Sialkot sector can cut off indian supplies from NH-44 Highway, thus effectively cutting the connection of IOK from the mainland India and cutting off supplies of gangu army. Add Air superiority of PAF in the sky, PA can drop paratroopers and fighting material to the kashmiris and thrust from Azad Kashmir simulaneously to toast IA sitting there to liberate IOK! Any opinions?
Brilliant plan , PA must have many similar plans as well. Maybe we are waiting for India to start first.

Are you implying that India won't open "Other Fronts" ?

@Inception-06 @Signalian @HRK @Path-Finder @Starlord @JPMM @Zulfiqar @TF141

I have seen lots of discussions regarding future employment of wheeled SPHs in PA, especially when surplus M109s have arrived from Italy and Canada. Here is my theory...

Historically, towed artillery has formed the backbone of Corps Arty Bdes. These bdes, besides supporting Corps Tps, have the specialized counter-battery role.

Towards the end of the previous decade, PA procured SLC-2 radars in significant numbers adding to the existing inventory of AN/TPQ-36 Firefinder's. SLC-2 Depot level maintenance was established and a number of new Locating Regiments raised. Mini UAVs also came in and Corps Arty Bdes under all Corps were attached 1× Loc Regt each.

In the 1990s and 2000s, it used to be 1× Loc Battery per Corps Arty Bde, regardless there was MBRL Battery or Regiment present or not.

Expansion to Loc Regt suggested an imminent revamp in Corps Arty Bdes to increase counter-battery capabilities. With the induction of wheeled SPHs in future, these would be achieved. :pakistan:
If the SH15 aquisition is confirmed, then it must be for the Corps Art Brigs. Those 7 facing east employ 12 Med Art Regs with 12 M198+6 Type.59-1 130mm, 2
Heavy SP Art Reg with 18 M110A2 and 7 MLRS Btry with 6 KRL122.
Someone mensioned that
I/II Strike Corps
were sending their M110A2s to Art Divs, so the SH15 will replace them all.
And must be 2 Med SP Art Regs with SH15, 1 MLRS unit and a Loc Reg in each Brigade.
The reports are for 13 Regs, so there will be a towed Reg, probably at Xth Corps.
It could be with some AR4s, @Rafi is tolking about.
These Corps Art Brigs will be highly mobile, not only tacticaly but allso strategically.
Compared to towed units, they will get there fast and shot fast, change position fast and fire again. You must look at the technological issue too, they must have top C4I, UAVs and other support units, so the Loc Regs are very importante.
Were will those M198 go? Inf Divs?
As I see, those 2 Corps Art Brigs West are using 24 M114A1+12
Type.59-1 130mm each.

Not in mountains, but in plains and desert

A Denel official once said the PA had conducted extensive trials in the mountains with their wheeled SPH, T5-52.

If the SH15 aquisition is confirmed, then it must be for the Corps Art Brigs. Those 7 facing east employ 12 Med Art Regs with 12 M198+6 Type.59-1 130mm, 2
Heavy SP Art Reg with 18 M110A2 and 7 MLRS Btry with 6 KRL122.
Someone mensioned that
I/II Strike Corps
were sending their M110A2s to Art Divs, so the SH15 will replace them all.
And must be 2 Med SP Art Regs with SH15, 1 MLRS unit and a Loc Reg in each Brigade.
The reports are for 13 Regs, so there will be a towed Reg, probably at Xth Corps.
It could be with some AR4s, @Rafi is tolking about.
These Corps Art Brigs will be highly mobile, not only tacticaly but allso strategically.
Compared to towed units, they will get there fast and shot fast, change position fast and fire again. You must look at the technological issue too, they must have top C4I, UAVs and other support units, so the Loc Regs are very importante.
Were will those M198 go? Inf Divs?
As I see, those 2 Corps Art Brigs West are using 24 M114A1+12
Type.59-1 130mm each.

All SP Heavy Regt's were moved to Arty Div's years ago.

All 9× Corps Arty Bdes have MBRL unit (122mm) from day one. Some have regt, others battery.

And, All 9× Corps Arty Bdes have expanded their Locating batteries into regt's.

Thanks!!

A Denel official once said the PA had conducted extensive trials in the mountains with their wheeled SPH, T5-52.

All SP Heavy Regt's were moved to Arty Div's years ago.

All 9× Corps Arty Bdes have MBRL unit (122mm) from day one. Some have regt, others battery.

And, All 9× Corps Arty Bdes have expanded their Locating batteries into regt's.

Thanks!!
Friend, I belonged to the Portuguese Mechanised Brigade. My NATO war deployment zones were Northern Italy and South Turkey. I was trained to basic Militar Intelligence in the NCO formation. Recognition of unit weapons and insígnia.
If you look at your 23/3 parades, you see:
2019: M109 from 6th Arm Div; M110 from 21st Art Div (Red)
2018: M109 from Ist Corps Art Brig; M110 from 21st Art Div (Red)
2017; M109 from 6th Arm Div; M110 from from Art Div (Green)
2016; M109 from 6th Arm Div; M110 from Art Div (Green)
In 2009 M110 was from IInd Corps Art Brig

If you want older:
Here it is 1997
Here it is 1983
Here it is 1973

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom