What's new

SH-15 Self propelled howitzer under trials by Pakistan army?

yah wonder how they get to know about our stuff earlier than us..
I also heard a news from india that of those 8 submarines the first one's construction will start in 1-1.5 years.Is that legit news?

Well the 4 submarines will be constructed in China while 4 in Karachi Pakistan and according to Navy the construction of 1st submarine in Pakistan to start in 1.5 years

The news is also in Pakistan Navy section

I am referring to Pakistan buying used m109s and G6(unlikely) from UAE. There is precedent, bought used systems from Italy recently.
Unlikely, I have not heard of G6 being sold off... a friend was there for maintenance and upgrades.

One thing to note here from the second pic is that this gun is placing whole barrel weight on ground while in firing position means truck chassis is free of Guns weight and recoil. This will give more accuracy and less wear and tear. Nice design.
Exactly. Other self-propelled howitzers usually have its chassis as the front support. However truck suspension even the special ones is not designed to handle the huge recoil, which affects the stability and accuracy of the howitzer, particularly in the case of large caliber gun.

The hydraulic suspension of SH15 means it can lower the chassis near the ground and with another stand in the front the gun is essentially “disengaged” from the chassis to form a very solid firing platforms and achieve the high accuracy.

Also just to point out the key strength of this howizer is its accuracy, due to its design around the hydraulic suspension mechanism on chassis. Coupling with high mobility and computerized system, it is designed as a high accuracy, high responsiveness weapon as opposed to nuclear delivery device, which does not need much accuracy.

By the way, the truck the gun is mounted on is not day to day civilian truck (the Indian newspaper got it wrong), it is developed by Taian Special Vehicle Group, for the ones who are not familiar with their product range, here are some pictures:

599B11BF-A6E8-4D69-8D53-36132DA56E97.jpeg

F883F9D4-2567-4677-BE22-B1974F8E5905.jpeg

1B3A3654-0C22-4D3F-BA1E-D6A577973EE4.jpeg

9DBF35EC-E560-442F-8843-C55BD375FD79.jpeg

Last edited:
Exactly. Other self-propelled howitzer usually has its chassis as the front support. However truck suspension even the special ones is not designed to handle the huge recoil, which affects the stability and accuracy of the howitzer, particularly in the case of large caliber gun.

The hydraulic suspension of SH15 means it can lower the chassis near the ground and with another stand in the front the gun is essentially “disengaged” from the chassis to form a very solid firing platforms and achieve the high accuracy.

Also just to point out the key strength of this howizer is its accuracy, due to its design around the hydraulic suspension mechanism on chassis.

Will it not effect the time to get into a firing position? And eventually won't it increase the time to scoot once it's fired?

Will it not effect the time to get into a firing position? And eventually won't it increase the time to scoot once it's fired?
Hydraulic suspension can lower the chassis down in seconds. Also the gun can start the process of aiming earlier as it doesn’t require additional leveling that may be needed with separate stands. SH15 is a step up in terms of accuracy and deployment time from the older generation.

I'm no expert in it!!! But, somewhere I read Pak has DU rounds!! During the Gulf Wars, I think DU rounds were extensively used against the armored units...
DU rounds are used for armor-piercing purpose for MBT vs MBT (or other AFV) combat. MBT may need to penetrate the rival MBT from front or side so needs armor piercing round.

Artillery howitzers like M-109 fire on a trajectory so the round could smash the top hull or top turret side (where armor is thin).

This is why Artillery doesn't really require a DU round.

I'm no expert in it!!! But, somewhere I read Pak has DU rounds!! During the Gulf Wars, I think DU rounds were extensively used against the armored units...

Yup, according to Jane's we have developed a 125mm and a 105mm Armour Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot (APFSDS) DU round for our two different tank gun calibres (AK/T80UD & Type 59). The 125mm round is named Naiza (javelin).

362_a394.jpg

DU rounds are used for armor-piercing purpose for MBT vs MBT (or other AFV) combat. MBT may need to penetrate the rival MBT from front or side so needs armor piercing round.

Artillery howitzers like M-109 fire on a trajectory so the round could smash the top hull or top turret side (where armor is thin).

This is why Artillery doesn't really require a DU round.

Furthermore, Artillery's main utility is still based more around large AOE HE ordnance as opposed to pinpoint, point to point, targeting of opposing assets. This though is seemingly changing with the ongoing development of smart artillery rounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom