What's new

Seymour Hersh Pakistan-US nuclear security plan

All those people accusing Seymour Hersh for being a Zionist agent...watch these videos,especially the second one.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the original article : Defending the Arsenal
by Seymour M. Hersh

Interesting...it looks like is Zaid Hamid far more successful as a propaganda monger than what we previously thought or that acknowledged by the pakistani friends here.

How many people did Hersh meet to arrive at the conclusion that 'support for Zaid hamid's positions' is widespread?

Are the conclusions based on nonsensical criteria along the likes of 'not served with whiskey' that led to Hersh concluding the Army was more 'fundamentalist'?

Absolute drivel.

Shireen Mazari and others have done an excellent job discrediting his work.

2e9fd22ba55e5975e1b1525f3786ca07.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Noted American journalist Seymour Hersh has dispelled the impression created by his recent article in the New Yorker magazine that there was an agreement between Pakistan and the United States on the nuclear weapons issue, and instead has claimed that an ‘informal understanding’ existed between the Chairman US Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Michael Mullen and Chief of the Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani over the safety of Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal.

In an interview with DawnNews TV’s flagship programme Newseye, Mr Hersh took pains to clarify that he had never talked about any formal agreement in his article as, according to him, he knew it would be immediately denounced and criticised.

The article in the US magazine stirred a major controversy in the country and promoted the US embassy in Islamabad and Pakistan’s foreign office to reject Mr Hersh’s claim as false.

It was followed by a strong denunciation by Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, General Tariq Majid, who ridiculed the claim and the impression of Americans having any knowledge or information regarding Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal.

Mindful of the reaction, Mr Hersh told DawnNews that the United States had a great deal of respect for Pakistan Army and wanted the country to improve control over its nuclear arsenal.

Citing Admiral Mullen’s statement before a House Committee, he said the United States had invested a significant amount to help Pakistan improve its control over the nuclear weapons.

Repeating the words he had used in his article as well, he said the threat to the nuclear weapons was not only from the militants, but also from a mutiny.

He said there were fears that extremists inside the Pakistan military could stage a coup and take control of some nuclear assets.

About the threat from militants, he referred to the recent attack on General Headquarters and other incidents depicting a surge in violence.

He said over the past few years, warheads had been separated from delivery system. He claimed that the components were moved to a safer place by trucks.

Though Mr Hersh has not used the word ‘agreement’ in his article, but citing former and current officials said the Obama administration had been negotiating highly sensitive negotiations with the Pakistani military, which would allow specially trained American units to provide added security for the Pakistani arsenal in case of a crisis.

Source: DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Hersh says he never spoke of agreement between US, Pak

Hersh seems to be high on some very potent Hashish, or maybe mere expression of distress for not being served Johnnie Walker.

Hersh sounds almost contrite. I bet either Dawn is putting a rosy view on things, or one of Hersh's key sources threatened to clam up if there wasn't a clarification. Was the Dawn interview carried live?

Do some google search before showing your ignorance to the entire world.

Homi K Bhabha - Parsi

You meant APJ Abdul Kalam?

So I got the spelling wrong! BFD!

I have morons like you for that purpose because I generally do not give a cr@p about your scientists spelled right or wrong anyway!

S given a ‘computer look’: Hersh

WASHINGTON: The United States sought ‘some control, some insight’ into Pakistan’s nuclear command and control system as a means to encourage India to reduce troops at the eastern border, journalist Seymour Hersh told Dawn.

In an interview in Washington, Mr Hersh said that such an arrangement was needed to allow Islamabad to focus on the fight against the extremists along the Afghan border.

In his article in The New Yorker magazine, Mr Hersh claimed that the United States had a covert team ready to fly into Pakistan at a moment’s notice and defend nuclear installations from possible militant attacks.

Mr Hersh’s claims caused an angry reaction in Islamabad where Pakistani officials and the US Ambassador, Anne Patterson, rejected his report as ‘false and baseless’.

Mr Hersh also wrote that he had evidence the US administration had been working on ‘highly sensitive understandings’ with Pakistan’s military that would let the US military provide ‘added security for the Pakistani arsenal in case of a crisis’.

Mr Hersh claimed that a ‘highly classified’ emergency response team had already been activated within the past few months in response to a report that a Pakistani nuclear component had ‘gone astray’.

He pointed out that a good look at the US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen’s recent testimonies at Congress showed that the US and Pakistan had had three years of contacts on this issue.

‘We were given access, a computer look. I am not saying Americans were running around with cameras and were checking out things with their eyes.’

Mr Hersh claimed that this computer access was given in March or April, after the Obama administration finalised its ****** policy.

The policy required Pakistan to deploy more troops at the Afghan border to go after the Taliban.

The Americans, he said, wanted the Indians to pull away first, so that Pakistan could focus on the Afghan border. ‘The Indians said, no. We have 80 nuke weapons pointed at us, we cannot pull back.’

The Americans thought they could encourage the Indians to do so if somehow they had ‘some control or insight into Pakistan’s nuclear command and control system,’ Mr Hersh said.

‘The idea is to reassure the Indians that we are in a position to prevent someone from doing something crazy,’ he said. ‘If the Indians are satisfied, it will allow Pakistan to focus on the Afghan border.’

To enable the Indians to reach that point of comfort, the Americans needed to ‘reassure India that nothing crazy will not happen. After all only target of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons is India, not America,’ said Mr Hersh.

The new arrangement would also allow Pakistani military commanders to ‘call us if they are worried about the loyalty of some their troops’ deployed at the nuclear installations, he said.

The Americans also told the Pakistani commanders that ‘if a group of crazies gets hold of a warhead, you can call us’.

Mr Hersh admitted that from the American point of view, it would be better if Pakistan had no nuclear bombs, but this arrangement was not about disarming Pakistan.

Mr Hersh rejected the suggestion that he was anti-Pakistan and that’s why he was writing such articles.

‘I am not anti-Pakistan. There’s a difference between policy and people. The Pakistanis are unhappy with American policies. American people are always welcomed in Pakistan.’

Asked about his claim that a Pakistani nuclear component had recently ‘gone astray’, Mr Hersh said he heard ‘about something going missing, a loose nuke, a trigger missing’.

He said there’s a special US team which provided guidance to the US ambassador in Islamabad and used a highly classified code. ‘But they are no shooters. They just provide guidance.’

Mr Hersh said he met President Asif Ali Zardari twice while he was in Islamabad working on his article, ‘once for a background talk, then at a dinner. Both meetings took place at the presidential palace in Islamabad’.

At the dinner, ‘we talked about a lot of stuff’, he said. ‘Did he confirm your findings on Pakistan’s nuclear installations?’ he was asked.

‘Obviously, at some point I discussed exactly what I was doing and what I learned. He said what he said. We have to please the big brother.’

‘But the government later rejected your story as baseless?’ ‘I understand that a story like this gets denied,’ said Mr Hersh.

The journalist, who also interviewed Gen Pervez Musharraf for the article, said he believed the former Pakistani president was ‘a disarming fellow, very direct. I liked him, liked him a lot. He is a very likeable man, straightforward. More than I thought’.

‘Did Mr Musharraf say he allowed Washington access to Pakistan’s nuclear installations?’ ‘I wrote what I wrote. Are the words that came out are the words I meant? Yes, of course.’

DAWN.COM | World | US given a ?computer look?: Hersh

Mr Hersh said he met President Asif Ali Zardari twice while he was in Islamabad working on his article, ‘once for a background talk, then at a dinner. Both meetings took place at the presidential palace in Islamabad’.

At the dinner, ‘we talked about a lot of stuff’, he said. ‘Did he confirm your findings on Pakistan’s nuclear installations?’ he was asked.

‘Obviously, at some point I discussed exactly what I was doing and what I learned. He said what he said. We have to please the big brother.’

ya just please him dont give assurances right ...

Looks like Hersh whipped up a saucy article to boost circulation and is now having to eat crow. Irresponsible 'journalism' at its worst.

Christian + Jewish = Einstein and the German guy whose name slips my mind. This guy was also later declared a communist by the Americans!

Hindu - Homi Bhaba and to some extent Dr. Abu Kalam Azad

Do some google search before showing your ignorance to the entire world.

Homi K Bhabha - Parsi

So I got the spelling wrong! BFD!

I have morons like you for that purpose because I generally do not give a cr@p about your scientists spelled right or wrong anyway!

Its not just about spelling. The discussion was about the father of "Hindu" bomb. And the member took pity on your ignorance and clarified that both the person u mentioned were non-hindus. Dr Homi bhabha (parsi) and Dr kalam (Muslim), are not hindus to be father of "Hindu Bomb". And the member suggested some googling to be done regarding the matter

This was not to highlight your spelling mistake but a comical satire, on your knowlege over the subject matter, like .... 'U meant APJ abdul kalam? (dont you know he is a muslim?)'.

I have morons like you for that purpose because..

Well, its time to rethink who the real m*r*n is?? :partay:

Last edited:
Pakistan angrily defended the security of its nuclear arsenal after a U.S. magazine reported that the Obama administration wants Pakistan to let Washington help secure its weapons in a crisis. In response to allegations published in the press that the US has been negotiating “understandings” with the Pakistani military about the security of Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal, US Ambassador to Pakistan Anne Patterson said that these allegations are completely false. The United States has no intention to seize Pakistani nuclear weapons or material. Pakistan is a key ally in our common effort to fight violent extremists and foster regional security. We work cooperatively on a wide range of security assistance initiatives, including significant efforts focused on strengthening counterinsurgency capacities to foster stability. She also said that US has confidence in Pakistan’s ability to protect its nuclear programs and materials.

Guys, Guys, Guys...................

With Iraq in a mess hence no oil, most of Afghanistan out of bounds and control alas no potential of a pipeline coming through, coffins of US soldiers arriving on daily basis, servicemen being gunned down by own comrades on home soil and the economy in a nose dive, what better way of diverting both the public and media's attention....... enter Seymour Hersh.
Seems our fair weather friends have learned a thing or two from their third world allies.

History does not favour pakistan here. Pakistan is notororious of issuing denials to anything or everything that causes embaressment to the establishment. No one considers the fallout and the losing of their credibility, before directly engaging in mindless denials.

And the people engaged in denials, runs from Top to down of the civilian and military leadership to diplomats, to local journalists, bloggers and posters. Everyone.

Remember, if 26/11 was an embaressment for pakistan, pakistanis denied the very existance of kasab, his village, his national identity number, his parents etc. And who were issuing those denials? right from the ranks of Gilani, Rehman malik, kayani, ISPR, ISI, Paks embassy in washington/ in India etc. And people who accepted the possibility of charges being true were sacked (NSA durrani), outright.

Point is, given the history, No one can believe the recent denials. The chest thumping denials that we are seeing right now from all quarters of pakistani establishment, gives me a feeling of nostalgia about pakistans incorrect and immoral denials of the past.

So it could be possible that Mr Hersh could be true in painting the real picture here, that pakistani have infact given access to americans in their weapons programme, and the denials being the usual as ever. America doesnt mind the public denial of pakistan, so long it has the access to pak's nuclear facility.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom