What's new

Featured Several killed as Modi's Bangladesh visit sparks violent protests

How is calling someone Madrasi, offensive?
You can call him Tamilian, Kannadiga, Telugu,Malayali, a more catch all Deccani or South Indian (not recommended)...But to use the catch all pejorative term Madrasi is really not done....it is just like its okay to call people with Pakistani heritage Paks, Pakistani but certainly not P**i.....very similiar ..Nobody is allowed to feign ignorance regarding the P word these days, similiarly nobody is allowed to feign ignorance regarding the usage of Madrasi

You can call him Tamilian, Kannadiga, Telugu,Malayali, a more catch all Deccani or South Indian (not recommended)...But to use the catch all pejorative term Madrasi is really not done....it is just like its okay to call people with Pakistani heritage Paks, Pakistani but certainly not P**i.....very similiar ..Nobody is allowed to feign ignorance regarding the P word these days, similiarly nobody is allowed to feign ignorance regarding the usage of Madrasi

Yes, Deccani is okay.

You can advocate that the word Madrasi be added to banned words.

You cannot lump all the distinct linguistic groups as one. Makes no academic sense

Your ignorance is profound !

Your Indian Army itself uses the word "Madras" for the Madras. Sappers Regiment . :azn:

A little bit of history.
The Nawab of Arcot had a Madarasa on the coast where the now renamed city of Chennai stands. When the British East India Company took over that strip of coast to establish a trading post they named it after the Madarsa or Madras . The name Chennai was adopted relatively recently. The city was called Madras for 125 years at least. Indian Army records refer to the Madras sappers as Madrasis and both railway stations in Egmore and Central in Chennai were called
Madras Central and Madras Egmore.

Your ignorance is profound !

Your Indian Army itself uses the word "Madras" for the Madras. Sappers Regiment . :azn:

A little bit of history.
The Nawab of Arcot had a Madarasa on the coast where the now renamed city of Chennai stands. When the British East India Company took over that strip of coast to establish a trading post they named it after the Madarsa or Madras . The name Chennai was adopted relatively recently. The city was called Madras for 125 years at least. Indian Army records refer to the Madras sappers as Madrasis and both railway stations in Egmore and Central in Chennai were called
Madras Central and Madras Egmore.

Very cheeky

Just like there is difference between Pak and Pak*

similarly there is a difference between Madras and Madrasi

Of course the word may have been in use during British times and immediately thereafter...but the word has universally been regarded as pejorative since the anti-Hindi protests and the break up of the old Madras State

Madras city.
Madrasi, people belonging to Madras.

Like Bombay is a city and Bombayyans are its inhabitants

Bombayite..is the word I presume..we use Mumbaikar

It's a slur..and you should recognize it as such...Madrasian is an identifier if you have to bring up the word in period specific context

Just like in Germany, it's crass to use the word Jew but the usage of the word Jewish is more encouraged

It's a slur..and you should recognize it as such...Madrasian is an identifier if you have to bring up the word in period specific context

Just like in Germany, it's crass to use the word Jew but the usage of the word Jewish is more encouraged

I didn't know Madrasi was slur.
But now that I know it's a slur and not banned by the admins of this site, I'm going to use it a lot more.
This is what you guys get for banning words which aren't slurs like p*j**t.

Still makes no sense.

Its like saying you calling Ilahabadis as Pragyars as slur but clearly they are just names of the city and its inhabitants.
Just like in Germany, it's crass to use the word Jew but the usage of the word Jewish is more

So you advocate banning Berliner Schnautzen?

Back
Top Bottom