What's new

Serbian Air Force modernization?

F-16 IQ is same as blk-52+ similar to what we and many customers got. The price is way too high for just 18

I am 95% sure he is mixing up the prices for the Iraqi deals with the one they signed with the Russians.

@honorfreedom, dont you think Serbia will have to soften its stance on Kosovo if it wishes to increase its relationship with NATO countries? I fail to see why Serbia would purchase Typhoons or Rafales if it knows that the West European countries can use Serbias subsequent reliance on them as a leverage over for example Kosovo. My guess would be that Serbia will stick with jets from your traditional allies, the Russians.

We are now in politics discussion, but Serbia is already quite soften stance of Kosovo.
Serbia will never recognize a Kosovo, because Serbian state was created on that land, and all our culture, monastery are there.
Kosovo has a 80% Albanians,
Republic of Srpska(part of Bosnia) has a 95% Serbs, where is a justice? Sorry for politic discussion.

Typhoon was a desire of the last goverment, but Typhoon is very expensive, Rafale too.
Russians has a greatest chanses.

Serbia currently has:

3 MiG-29B and 1 MiG-29UB
11 active MiG-21, and over 30-50 in storage. (in march this year, for all MiG-21 emphasize resources)

33 J-22 Orao's(Eagle)
30 G-4 Super Galeb (currently on modernization, to MD standard, modernized and digitalized)

Last edited by a moderator:
We are now in politics discussion, but Serbia is already quite soften stance of Kosovo.
Serbia will never recognize a Kosovo, because Serbian state was created on that land, and all our culture, monastery are there.
Kosovo has a 80% Albanians,
Republic of Srpska(part of Bosnia) has a 95% Serbs, where is a justice? Sorry for politic discussion.

Typhoon was a desire of the last goverment, but Typhoon is very expensive, Rafale too.
Russians has a greatest chanses.

Serbia currently has:

3 MiG-29B and 1 MiG-29UB
11 active MiG-21, and over 30-50 in storage. (in march this year, for all MiG-21 emphasize resources)

33 J-22 Orao's(Eagle)
30 G-4 Super Galeb (currently on modernization, to MD standard, modernized and digitalized)

No need to apologize. The reason why I brought Kosovo into the discussion was that any Serbain negotiations with NATO countries over purchase of fighter jets could probably not proceed without some consensus over Kosovo and its future. From my understanding the EU and Serbia are still not on the same page regarding the region, which is why I stated in my previous post that I see Serbia going for Russian jets.

Btw how is the indigenous aircraft industry of Serbia today? I was aware that Yugoslavia under Tito was quite self sufficient (the reason why unlike all other Communist East European countries it was outside of Moscows control), but did not know that it produced its own jets as well. I suppose the wars of the past few decades have taken a toll on R&D investment?

Btw how is the indigenous aircraft industry of Serbia today? I was aware that Yugoslavia under Tito was quite self sufficient (the reason why unlike all other Communist East European countries it was outside of Moscows control), but did not know that it produced its own jets as well. I suppose the wars of the past few decades have taken a toll on R&D investment?

Now slowly regenerates air industry.
Serbia was built Lasta 95 trainer aircraft
2161129.jpg

and Kobac
kobac-01.jpg

Some next logical step is to build new G-4 or G-5 trainer aircraft.

Serbia has a 101 years of aviation.

Yugoslavia with some partner was able to build a supersonic fighter jet.

Yugoslavia was built

J-22 Orao
0976051.jpg

G-4 Super Galeb
avion-galeb-g4.jpg

after this projects Yugoslavia was able to built supersonic jet, and for partner France is choosed, L-20 Supersonic was a very modern jet of that time, and for this time. This is how it looks.
attachment.php

here is some video of the cockpit

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm F-16 IQ(that IQ is same like Block 52 right? or have AESA?) is too expensive, Iraq for 18 jets payed 4.2 billions$, that is very very expensive. For that money Serbia can to buy over 150 Thunder jets or 50-60 MiG-29M's.

Serbia just need 12-48 mulitrole jets.

Serbia can ask/get F-16C/D block 40-42 through EDA those in stocks/storage must be dozens available.

For FC-1 to to compete it has to come with a reliable Chinese Engine and a complete package that no one offered.

Something interesting you guys need to read, after all russians might get the contract. Russians offer $10B loan to serbia.
Russia to rescue Serbia from NATO's claws - English pravda.ru

Serbia can ask/get F-16C/D block 40-42 through EDA those in stocks/storage must be dozens available.

For FC-1 to to compete it has to come with a reliable Chinese Engine and a complete package that no one offered.

Something interesting you guys need to read, after all russians might get the contract. Russians offer $10B loan to serbia.
Russia to rescue Serbia from NATO's claws - English pravda.ru

All newspapers was write this:

Vesti online / Vesti / Srbija / Rusija nas naoru

Novi

Try to translate with translate google.

Serbia was sent the invitation to the following aircraft manufacturers:

USA
Locheed Martin F-16 Block 50 or 52
Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet

EU
Dassault Rafale
Eurofighter Typhoon
SAAB JAS-39 Gripen

RUSSIA
MiG-29M
Su-30M

CHINA
Chengdu J-10A/B
Cac/Pac JF-17 Block1/Block2

and presented are:
F-16,EF,Rafale,MiG-29,Su-30,JF-17.

for F-18 and J-10 i have'nt informations.

SAAB was decline invitation.

EU and US jets are very expensive, so greatest chanses has a MiG-29M/M2 and JF-17 Thunder.

So, what you think who will win on Serbian tender?
The Russian MIG-29M/M2 will win it for sure,Serbia is a allie of Russia and both slavic countries.
The Russians will make a good price for Serbia.

The Russian MIG-29M/M2 will win it for sure,Serbia is a allie of Russia and both slavic countries.
The Russians will make a good price for Serbia.

Probably, but most importantly at this time is the money , Serbs love Russians, but politic is something else...

There is no love in weapons trading. Serbia needs squadron of fighter for law enforcement, so 12-24 planes. We already have MiG 29, so they obviously have advantage (we are partially trained and equipped for new migs). Ofc. JF 17 is great plane also, but we aren't familiar with it. Plan for Yugoslavia was to replace MIG 21s with domestically build single engine version of french Rafal, but that plan sunked. Yugoslavian air force employed 108 fighters, so building fighter might worthed then, now it doesn't. We use to have American jets (F 84, F 86), but dealing with them is paintfull, they always blackmailing.
Now there is rumor in press that Serbia is buying 6 MiG 29M this year.

Blic Online | Vojska Srbije kupuje

Serbia buys Russian MiG-29

The Ministry of Defence of Serbia intends to purchase from Russia six light multi-role fighters MiG-29M/M2 and two ground radar stations, according to the Belgrade edition Novi Magazin. The cost of a possible deal to be announced. Serbian military expect to sign a contract for the supply of aircraft by the end of this year. It clarifies the Vecernji list, details of the transaction will be agreed upon May 23, 2013 during the visit of the Minister of Defence of Serbia Alexander Vucic in Moscow.

The purchase of military equipment will be made as part of the modernization of the aircraft fleet Air Force of Serbia. According to Flightglobal MiliCAS, in service of the country is facing four MiG-29 (three MiG-29s and one MiG-29UB, restored and modernized in 2008), 11 MiG-21 (cancellation of scheduled for 2018), as well as 33 fighter bomber J-22 Orao. Park training planes represented by the Yugoslav Galeb G-2 and G-4 Super Galeb, and Utva Serbian Lasta 75 and 95.

Earlier, at a meeting with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, Prime Minister Ivica Dacic has asked the Russian side to help Belgrade with the modernization of the armed forces. "There is a great need to Serbian army modernized and buy modern weapons», ─ said Dacic. In the framework of military-technical cooperation, Russia and Serbia are to deploy a joint production of armored vehicles.

I think that this is first part of 12-24 MiG-29M's who will become in SAF.
Serbian ministry of defence Alexander Vucic was said:

"Vucic said that Serbia will intensify this year as their strength, especially in the air force and air defense, to be economically stronger from year to year and will thrive in any field." - RTS :: Vu

Serbia is new observer in CSTO:
Serbia

Serbia Looks to Buy Several MiG-29 Fighters From Russia | Defense | RIA Novosti

Serbia Looks to Buy Several MiG-29 Fighters From Russia

BELGRADE, May 6 (RIA Novosti) – Serbia is planning to buy several MiG-29M/M2 Fulcrum fighter jets from Russia, and Serbian pilots are already being trained in flying the aircraft, the country’s First Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Aleksandar Vucic said on Monday.

Serbia expects to buy the aircraft on credit, he said, adding that the final cost of the deal will depend on what weapon systems are installed on them as well as on the volume of spare parts to be purchased.

The parties are set to hash out the details of the agreement during Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic’s visit to Russia on May 21 and Vucic’s visit from May 23-24.

The new deal may be linked to the modernization of Serbia’s Moma Stanojlovic aircraft maintenance factory, which is due to become a regional center for servicing MiG-family aircraft, many of which are in service in neighboring countries, the minister said.

Serbian media reported in late April that the country hopes to buy a total of six MiG-29M/M2 fighters and two radar stations from Russia, and that the deal could be closed before the end of this year.

Back
Top Bottom