Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ARMYNEWS
Serbia buys Chinese air defense missile system
com-h22.jpg

Serbia is buying newest Chinese-made FK-3 air defense missile system, according to local media.

Balkanska bezbednosna mreza (Balkan Security Network), quoting state-owned arms import company Yugoimport SDPR JP, reported that Serbia ordered FK-3 surface-to-air missile weapon system with a range of 100 km and altitude from 50 to 27,000m.

Sources said that Serbia acquired 3 batteries of the FK-3 system.

The FK-3 is an export variant of the Chinese last-generation, medium-range HQ-22 air defense missile system. The new medium-range air defense system was first shown at the Zhuhai show in 2016.

The missile defense system is equipped with a semi-active GPS, the complex is based on the HQ-12 air defense system, but, unlike the basic model, it is equipped with “wingless” missiles. In its range, the HQ-22 is in the class of American Patriot-III systems, according to Chinese sources.

Ministry of the defense Republic of Serbia also has taken delivery of the first CH-92A unmanned combat aerial vehicles from China in July.

The surveillance and reconnaissance unmanned aircraft systems, with strike capabilities, was formally handed over at Colonel-pilot Milenko Pavlovic Air Base in Batajnica on 4 July.

PUBLISHED BY
Dylan Malyasov
AUG 2, 2020 7:35 PM

https://defence-blog.com/news/army/...ile-system.html/amp?__twitter_impression=true

So, why does Serbia need an air defense missile system? Who is going to attack them with missiles? Kosovo?

No immediate enemy doesn't mean no need of defense system, isn't it.
I thought it's obvious especially we are in a defense forum...

With infinite resources for defense spending, I would agree. But Serbia doesn't have infinite resources. So, I can't see how anti-missile defense would be a higher priority than defense systems for threats to their borders from their neighbors, or offensive systems to attack their neighbors for preemption.

With infinite resources for defense spending, I would agree. But Serbia doesn't have infinite resources. So, I can't see how anti-missile defense would be a higher priority than defense systems for threats to their borders from their neighbors, or offensive systems to attack their neighbors for preemption.
No one has infinite resources. US don't have either. So this is not a valid reason.
Regards priority, in the opposite I believe SAM is definitely one of the most important defense system to buy. In modern battlefield, air dominance is the key. It's a disaster to let enemy have the air dominance. What happened in Syrian and Libya clearly demonstrated it.

So, I can't see how anti-missile defense would be a higher priority than defense systems for threats to their borders from their neighbors

That's one of the purposes of a SAM system isn't it, anyway the official narrative is that those recent purchases are a response to Kosovo being supplied with military equiments by the US and Germany, the Su-25 is also in their line of sight

Serbs are trying something in the Balkans again?

More likely US is cooking something, I always thought unless Europe could stand on its foot the road from east Asia to Europe through Mideast would not be completed.

Back
Top Bottom