What's new

Seeing Pakistan without old, hostile baggage

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Seeing Pakistan without old, hostile baggage
Tuesday, 5 May 2015 - 5:00am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna | From the print edition

Born and brought up in a family which faced the wrath of Partition, leaving behind everything to save their lives, it was a pleasant surprise to visit the territory which would have been my homeland if India had not been divided in 1947.
Born and brought up in a family which faced the wrath of Partition, leaving behind everything to save their lives, it was a pleasant surprise to visit the territory which would have been my homeland if India had not been divided in 1947.

I was born into a family which had migrated from Rawalpindi. My forefathers had to abandon all their possessions to make a fresh start. I have grown up viewing Pakistan with a sense of mistrust, responsible for all the tribulations we faced. But the perception, built in my mind over the years, got knocked down during my 10-day trip to Pakistan that took me to Hindu and Sikh holy places. Also to Lahore, Islamabad, Rawalpindi and Attock region, the last frontier of Punjab on the banks of Indus river. Trust me, I didn’t see a trace to let me believe that Pakistan is a failed State or it is about to crumble economically.

In fact, Partition is not just an Indian story. There are Muslims across the border who, too, have their homelands on our side and yearn to see it at least once. I meet Jawed Ali and his friends at a restaurant in Jinnah Market in Islamabad. Excitedly, he came up to my table. “Are you from India?” The next thing he tells me, “My mother was from Hyderabad and father from Meerut. They will be very happy to see you.” Apparently Hindus at a market in Islamabad are a rare sight.

The next day, I am having aloo paratha with at his house, with parents, wife and a six-year-old daughter. His parents are overwhelmed to see me. “We used to live in the Laad Bazaar Road near Charminar,” recollects Ali’s mother. Ali’s family breaks my preconceptions. We discuss India-Pakistan relations and the visit of the Chinese Premier to Pakistan over parathas. In Ali’s house, men and women eat together at the same table. In fact, there is more to Pakistan than the ferocious faces of Hafiz Saeed or Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi.

Both Lahore and Islamabad are cities bubbling with life. Dazzling Pakistani women drive cars, go to coffee shops, meet for kitty parties at restaurants and enjoy family outings for dinner. Women in Lahore have a better fashion sense than their counterparts in Delhi. They speak fluent English, spend a lot more money on clothes. And when it comes to speaking Punjabi, they do it better than us.

But we are way behind them when it comes to treating neighbours. I confronted many instances when strangers came out to help, whether at a marketplace or in a restaurant, as soon as they knew we were Indian. At a restaurant in Lahore, a family occupying a nearby table realised we were making lots of noise and so we must be Indians. The lady walked up to us, enquired and after we were finished insisted on paying for us. With great difficulty we convinced her to allow us to pay for ourselves.Then her husband insisted that we take their vehicle along, with driver, for sightseeing. We were overwhelmed.

I may confess, that in Delhi, whenever I encountered a Pakistani national at a marketplace, I used to look at him a terrorist or a spy or as someone representing India's biggest enemy. But be it Lahore or Islamabad, the common man there does not look upon Indians as an enemy, or even a rival.Their hospitality for an Indian guest is beyond comparison. The aam aadmi in Pakistan has a beautiful heart.

Just like I craved to see my ancestral place in Pakistan, but failed to gather the courage all these years, many in Pakistan too have some bond with India and want to travel to this side. But strained India-Pakistan relations prove a dampener. People from both sides crave to discover each other. They say, "Jis Lahore dekhiya nahi, O Jamiya he hain." (You are not born, if you have not seen Lahore). It is true not just for Lahore, but for every bit of Pakistan that I saw. I am reborn in the true sense and I want every Indian to take rebirth and see Pakistan without historical and hostile baggage.

Seeing Pakistan without old, hostile baggage | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

On the one hand, such incredible stories providing sky-high praise for Pakistan, and on the other, the behavior of actual Pakistanis on this forum:undecided:

On the one hand, such incredible stories providing sky-high praise for Pakistan, and on the other, the behavior of actual Pakistanis on this forum:undecided:
we're pretty arrogant people, we can go to extremes with our opinions, our hospitality is unmatchable but so is our anger.

There's a old saying, keep a friend close and keep a Pakistani closer.

Yes, these stories lie. Indians in general have hatred that even the most scorned of women dont have for their lovers when it comes to Pakistan.
when ever they come to pakistan they talk about our women like they are objects

Indians in general have hatred that even the most scorned of women dont have for their lovers when it comes to Pakistan.

Is it ONLY India that is to be blamed for the present state of affairs

Is Pakistan totally innocent

The governments maybe not.. but the people have shown again and again how they are better and more open to peace and viewing Indians as humans.. I cant remember the last time an Indian considered a Pakistani as a human being and not some animal they would enjoy seeing killed.

we're pretty arrogant people, we can go to extremes with our opinions, our hospitality is unmatchable but so is our anger.

There's a old saying, keep a friend close and keep a Pakistani closer.
I bet it isn't older than 68 years. :p:
Its cool, atleast I won't judge Pk and its ppl based on this forum or Indian media (good or bad).
Yes, these stories lie. Indians in general have hatred that even the most scorned of women dont have for their lovers when it comes to Pakistan.
And why would you say that is. Because of our diabolical, pagan, heathen blood or as you put it on another thread we are just petty minded, vicious,blood thristy and backstabbing cynical individuals.

Don't take these stories seriously, Pakistani will give milk to snake but deep down inside they know snake real nature. Pakistanis hate you, make no mistake about it. These former punjabis visiting Pakistan and getting all emotional don't really represent Indians.

No, we are not innocent but so similarly neither are you. we must accept , make loc international border, and slowly but steadily start trade... in a decade or so we can change the mentalities of our masses

I cant remember the last time an Indian considered a Pakistani as a human being and not some animal they would enjoy seeing killed.

Several Pakistanis receive treatment in Indian Hospitals

Secondly a few Pakistanis also work in our films

What about that

Don't take these stories seriously, Pakistani will give milk to snake but deep down inside they know snake real nature. Pakistanis hate you, make no mistake about it. These former punjabis visiting Pakistan and getting all emotional don't really represent Indians.
See, you are only exacerbating the problem.

Back
Top Bottom